Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Storage Advice Please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Storage Advice Please
    Posted: October-15-2008 at 1:44pm
Last winter I stored my boat inside of my warehouse.

Over the summer, I secured a covered slip at my marina with a boat lift.

Leaving it on the lift is obviously easier as my warehouse is almost an hour away however I'm thinking that moving it back to the warehouse is the better option.

Are there any real downsides to leaving it on the lift all winter? Obviously, I'll be winterizing either way.

I'm interested in the expert opinions from this group please.......
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 1:56pm
I'm not an expert, but in my opinion, storage is harder on a boat than use, and any opportunity to store indoors in better than outdoors. Here's one thats been stored under cover outdoors. Two one hour trips a year is a small price to pay, in my opinion. Moisture, mold, mildew, dust, bird crap....(if covered outside, you still have big issues with moisture, mold, mildew...)

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 12:25am
Wow Larry.....the winter is longer up there for you guys than I thought!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 12:49am
Put it inside unless you plan on using it. When you do store it on the lift don't cover it while it is wet.

dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 11:58am
Thanks guys. That was the advice I expected.

Guess I was hoping for an official endorsement of the lazy, easy way out.

Appreciate ya'll correcting my bacerds way of thinking.
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 3:35pm
Moisture is the culprit with outside storage and, to a lesser extent, unheated inside storage. As the air heats and cools the moisture in it condenses out onto any surface of the boat. Mildew, rot, stains, etc. are the result. There are things you can do to minimize the problems, but temp controlled inside is the best bet.
1989 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic