Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New owner questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner questions
    Posted: October-13-2008 at 2:19am
Hey all,

I just purchased my first boat (1987 SN 2001) last Monday and I haven't been able to get out in it yet except for the test drive so I'm anxious to drive it. It is in good shape mechanically with only 480 hrs on the engine but could use a little interior work. So is there a safe method for cleaning the carpet? Any suggestions or things that I should avoid? I've done searches here and on other correct craft forums and not come up with many results. I also have two black knobs on the speedometer faces. What do these do? Are they for calibrating the speedometer? If so what is the best way for knowing that the speed is correct? GPS? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 11:28am
Welcome BigBM. I've used a Bissle steam cleaner on the carpet with great results, and when it's wet from after use, I will sometime use a shop vac. You are correct about the knobs on the speedos. They are for calibrating. The easiest way to do this would be a GPS. I will usually dial them in around 35 mph or so. This way they are accurate at skiing speeds.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 2:34pm
Hey thanks for the welcome ripster. I had thought about the steam option for cleaning the carpets because my family has a steam cleaner so I'll give that a try and make sure I get as much water up as I can. Guess I'll look into getting a GPS unit for speed cuz I don't know how the previous owner had them set or if they're anywhere close to correct. I don't think my lake has a slalom course.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 2:49pm
Congratulations on the new boat. I have an 87 2001 also. I am just getting started working on mine. I have a list of things to to including new shaft. Good luck.
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 7:15pm
Thanks anthony. I'm excited about getting to take it out. Hopefully I can this weekend. Does anyone know where to find a reasonably priced hand help GPS? Don't think I need anything too nice as longa as it has MPH.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 10:19pm
Welcome, I bought my 87 this March and resurected it in time for labor day. IMine was a mess, I used a pressure washer with steam cleaner detergent followed by a shop vac. Had to be carefull around the edges. there is nothing better than that first drive.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 12:06am
Thanks OverMyHead. Mine seems to be ok except for the dirty carpet and one seam on each seat has started to seperate. The outside gel coat and paint are in good shape. Mine is the same color scheme as yours and judging from the pics in your profile you had quite a bit to work with but it sure does look good now!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 4:42am
Thanks, It was a quicky redo but this site helped a ton. Latest addition is storage tubs for fat sacks working great, amazed my son.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 8:13pm
Hey Dave,

That's great. What did you use for the storage tubs for the sacks? I'm trying to think of a way to do this myself so I can keep out extra water from filling/draining the sacks. Was it something you fabricated yourself?

Thanks,
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 3:56am
Sorry for the slow response, My system is nothing fancy, It is also not very dry. I went to Target and picked up 6-22 gallon storage tubs that I arrange down the sides next to the engine. I fill/empty them with a five gallon bucket .The system cost all of $38.28 ( I had the bucket). I fill them about 15 gallons each so they dont splash too much and get a great wake. When not in use they stack inside each other nicely, I suppose you could fill them with ice water and have a great beer cooling ballast system. All they really need now to perfect the do-it-yourself look is duct tape.
1987 Ski Nautique

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 10:57am
congrats on your new purchase Big BM.

Only one thing left, post some pics. We all like to see new boats.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 11:04am
I gotta say this and not offend, you need to change your user name cause my very first thought was.......
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 2:23pm
I thought the same but thats why I liked it. I hope it has a double meaning though.
1987 Ski Nautique

BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 4:34pm
Dave - no worries on the slow response. Thanks for sharing your ballast set up. The duct tape and the beer would be a nice touch I think .

Shawn - I had a vacation planned right after I purchased it so I've been out of town for awhile but hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

Eric and Dave - no offense taken on the user name. I did it intentionally because those are actually my initials and I'm a pretty big guy 6'4" and about 215 lbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic