NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Capacity

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Capacity
    Posted: October-09-2008 at 5:09pm
I just winterized my '78 Ski Tique with 351 Commander engine. When changing the oil and filter I put 4 Quarts in and was going to mark a new add a quart line due to being suspicious that the dip stick wasn't accurate. I got no reading on the stick with 4 quarts. I added the 5th quart and still nothing on the stick. I started the engine and have good oil pressure. The dip stick seems awefully short. Is it possible I have the wrong dip stick in the engine? Engine had been rebuilt a few years ago. The previous owner said "boy that engine takes a lot of oil" when I bought it. I don't know how many quarts he had in it. Any suggestions??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2008 at 5:41pm
Sounds like youve got the wrong dipstick. Capacity is 5 qts, with a filter change. If youre sure that you got all of the old oil out, I suggest you get yourself a longer dipstick and mark it yourself. Make sure the boat is sitting perfectly level.
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2008 at 8:27pm
OK Thanks. Glad I caught it. I've been running it with too much oil if that is the case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic