Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ballast resistor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ltmoeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltmoeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ballast resistor
    Posted: October-03-2008 at 2:42pm
   I need to replace my ballast resistor(1989 351).I know I can order it from skidim 20.00 plus shipping so I went to auto parts store and of course they don't list one for a 89-351 because ford used electronic ign on cars.So does anyone know the ohms I need then I could just pick it up at auto store?
Thanks,Tom
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 7:49pm
Dont do it...long story but I've had ballast resistor problems on my old Mustang and it aint pretty. Do yourself a favor and pony up the (cheap) $$ and get the right one from Vince and the crew at DIM. You'll be glad you did and you'll have DIM standing behind you which is worth more than you'll ever pay. They're terrific people and always willing to help.

Sometimes being a "cheapo" isn't the way to go. (Hey, that rhymes.)

ltmoeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltmoeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 9:02pm
   Not trying to be cheap just wanted to be on the water this weekend.I buy most everything I need fron skidim.
   Tom

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 2:34am
What water do you go on down there in Sebring.
We are a little north of you in Lake Wales.
Always open to meeting new C/CFAN's.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 10:27am
Hi Tom

It's a 2.3 ohm resistor.

I wrote a part number down years ago. It's ECHLIN ICR23.

You should be able to cross reference that and come up with one.

Keno
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 12:40pm
NAPA lists the ECHLIN ICR23 as a 1.3 ohm resistor. You might want to double check that.

Resistance is approximately equivalent to these ballast resistors:

NAPA* Echlin* ICR11 (1.35 Ohms)

NAPA Echlin ICR23 (1.2 Ohms)

NAPA Echlin ICR34 (1.4 Ohms)

Lucas* 3BR (1.3 - 1.4 Ohms)

Mopar* DCC-4529795 (1.4 Ohms)

Accel* ACC-150250 (1.35 Ohms)

Standard* RU-4 (1.35 Ohms)

Standard RU-23 (1.2 ohms)

Standard RU-37 (1.4 Ohms)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 1:45pm
Hi Big

It's a 1CR23 I have in the boat, I went out and checked the resistance of a spare one.

It's 1.3 Ohms just like you said.

Then I went back and read my handwriting and it said 1.3 also.

Guess it's my keyboard skills

But anyways for Tom, the original poster, it's been in the boat for a long time, it's outlasted the original equipment one that came in the boat.

Keno
ltmoeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltmoeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 4:17pm
   Thanks,went to napa and i'm all set.
   Great tallent on this site.
   Tom
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 9:38pm
I just wanted to add that in an emergency (i.e. avoiding a ruined weekend) you can simply bypass the resister. Depending on how long you are out, you might want to file the points or replace them (after your weekend outing).

Main purpose of the resistor is keep from burning the points. If you have electronic conversion and still have the resistor, you are on your own.
ltmoeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltmoeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 11:45pm
   David F
   Yes I have a pertronix and it has worked perfect for 7 years.I use the stock coil with the ballast resistor.The resistor got some corrosion on it and could not read the ohms.
   Tom

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 6:36pm
I just baught a square one that was almost the size of the stocker and bent the bracked pulled the old one out and then bent the bracket back around the new one and hooked her up. 250 hours on it now.
ltmoeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltmoeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 10:53pm
   J-bear I sent you a pm but it didn't go thru.Anyway we go to lake june in lake placid.
I use to ski in your area in the 70s.
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic