Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Updates for the 75?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updates for the 75?
    Posted: September-04-2008 at 12:08pm
Been talking with some other long time owners and wanted to see if any of you have made upgrades to the 17' hulls.

Tracking fins, it did not seem to be a problem 20 years ago when i weighed 155# but now at 225 I am pulling the boat all over the place. I have been looking into adding tracking fins to help keep it in line better. anyone aware of add on fins for this? I could make some if I had dimensions, but wanted to see what works.

I need more hole shot. With an omc 225 chevy 307 i decided not to go for the bigger motor at this point but work at re proping to get more pull. I currently run the stock fed 12" prop, 12x12 i think. it turns it 5k flat out. Im still torn on the 540 in 13" or 12.5". i need to get some measurements on clearance to make a decision there yet.

Top end, the mustang will run right around 50 top end but begins to porpous. trim tabs or wedges have been suggested but maybe the additional thrust of a newer larger prop will also help put the nose down a little.

Any thoughts?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:43pm
I think that the addition of one tracking fin would help the handling and skiing performance of the hull immensely. There is a huge difference in the way my Skier and Tique handle- the hulls are the same but the Tique has a tracking fin. I wont advocate adding one for fear of retribution from Keep It Original Pete, but they can be bought new for $75, if I remember correctly.

Performance sounds characteristic of a Chevy- plenty of lungs but lacking low end grunt. If a 12x12 still wont pull you out of the hole, Im not sure the Acmes would be much better. You may need to add some power... possibly by transplanting a Ford powertrain.

50mph on the top end is plenty strong, especially at 5k RPMs- and it may even be faster if you were turning a slightly taller prop at a few less revs. Many have added trim tabs to keep the nose down at speed, but be aware that they'll probably be at the expense of a few MPH, as the bouncing actually helps a bit. Personally, I wouldnt add them- I think its one of the cool features of the older CC's.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 4:38pm
Any idea if the add on fins were a cc or aftermarket item? I have to call midwest this week, i will check there but they usually scare me a bit on $...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 4:40pm
That was the dealer price Ive heard mentioned. MWCC should be in that ballpark.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 10:34am
Its to bad you cant go check out 2-3 props, test them and then keep the one you like...

With the inherent weaker hole shot of the chev, it throws a little a little more twist in the process.

It would be interesting to see a torque curve for the ford and chev through the rpm range to see if the ford is making more torque at the bottom end or what. From what ive read here the chev must turn more rpm on the top, 4500 compared to 5000 in most cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic