NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how do ballast tanks work?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do ballast tanks work?
    Posted: August-31-2008 at 1:18pm
Well, took delivery of my "new" 99 NSS (nautique super sport) yesterday and immediately pulled the interior and ballast tanks to give the entire interior a good power washing (I think I found a set of mouse dentures). So, this morning I was thinking what is the proper proceedure for filling and emptying the tanks (I have never used tanks before). The ballast tanks are CC factory tanks. What I think:

To fill:
Open Seaco**
Open valves
Turn on pumps (switch in "fill" direction) while driving about 22mph.

To empty:
Simply turn on pumps in "empty" direction?

So, do the tanks empty out the bottom of the boat, or out the side. Is the side port a vent only?

Going to put it all back together today so we can take our maiden ride tomorrow.

BTW, only thing mice ate on engine were the plug wires. Already have them replaced. Check compression and all cylinders within a few psi of 135.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:36pm
In 99, should fill and empty through bottom of boat. Should be a single 2 way assist pump. Side port is a vent, but there should
be a ball valve so that water can push through
in an overflow situation.

Seacock of course controls whether water can get in and out of the tanks. Valves at the helm open and close the vents. If the vents are working 100% correctly, you can leave the seacock open and water won't push into the tank so long as the vents are closed. If not working 100% correctly, water will eventually push into the tanks even when the vents are closed and you'll find yourself asking why the boat is driving sluggish or leaning one way.

The tanks will fill and empty without the pumps. The pumps are really more of an assist. On my boats, I've found the tanks fill better at 5-10 mph than at 22mph. My tanks empty best in idle, or sitting still.

A lot of guys get frustrated with these early ballast systems and replumb them. They use better pumps; in some cases they use separate pumps for water in and water out; and they plumb so that water comes in the bottom and out the side.

David, I've owned my SAN for 7 years, and I bet I haven't used the tanks more than 20 times. I've always felt that for 90% of wakeboarders, ballast is more about ego than ability. An unweighted SAN throws a fine wake for most between 18 and 22 mph. BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 4:14pm
Brian:

Thanks for the info. Yes, there are check valves on each vent line. Controlling water in tank just via vent line sure does seem like a crude way of doing things...no wonder it does not work too well.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:09pm
My experience with our 99' Air DD (2 tanks in trunk only), NSS may be similar:
Had (2) pumps, one would fill and the other would empty. The valve(s) from brand new did not prevent the tanks from filling, just slowed the flow way down. The only way to prevent any water from entering the tanks was to close the sea-cock. When the tanks were full water would run out the port side vent.
Thru hull drain/fill on bottom.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:11pm
In Quinner's case, he calls up 2 of his favorite girlfriends and puts them in the back seat
"the things you own will start to own you"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:21pm
I noticed that there is an air pump connected to both tanks. I suppose the air is used to pressurize the tanks and force the water out the way it came it. I would imagine that if the tanks/valves are not totally air tight, then how is the water prevent from entering the tanks. Seems to me there is too much opportunity for air leaks and thus the tanks fill (or keep filling) What prevents the air from escaping out the vent (thru hull fitting).

I can understand why people replumb these factory tanks...what total garbage.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

In Quinner's case, he calls up 2 of his favorite girlfriends and puts them in the back seat

Not true. CQ told me that the blow up dolls dont add any appreciable weight to the boat, so he leaves them at home under the bed.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not true. CQ told me that the blow up dolls dont add any appreciable weight to the boat, so he leaves them at home under the bed.

That was before he switched from air to water...dual purpose inflat-a-hoes. Kind of gives them that squishy roll around in them feeling too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:44pm
warm water, for the real feel effect, he prefers it at 98 degrees
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:57pm
David,

Will apologize for all these Boneheads threadjackin' ya!

Have to admit however, a blow up doll is the best idea for ballast I ever heard, pump em too fill, pump em again too empty, yahoo!
Next time we wakeboard hopefully HW will bring his, mine all have hoes in em.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 5:12pm
Yeah, needle d*ck popped all of his boat crew.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 6:15pm
Quinner, there all on the butt cheeks
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 3:25am
Back to the question asked...

Ballast tanks work like this....
First ya feed them a lot(for a few years), invite them on the boat and give them lots of beer...when your done with them...tell them to go home!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 9:49am
you gotta tell them to duck though as your passing the beach, if they are able too
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:35pm
In an attempt to get this thread back on track, I think I got it wrong about an "air pump" Probably the pump I was referring to is used for the shower. I really need to trace out all the hoses and lines to see what is what. Just have had almost no time since I purchased the boat...maybe this weekend.

For the ballast tanks, I am thinking of adding an electric valve at each tank (that opens when the pump(s) is turned on) and getting rid of the factory "burp" valves.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:44pm
The factory Ballast pumps IIRC are the same as live well pumps, +/-1" hose in/out.
The Factory shower pump had +/- 1/2" hoses, Red (hot from block) & Blue (cold from raw water supply) which went to the mixing valve and then from the mixing valve 1 hose to your spray head.

Hear lot's of complaints about the factory setup and although it most likely could be better, it worked fine for me. The Ballast pumps only lasted 2-3 seasons, they were relatively inexpensive and pretty easy to change out.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 2:02pm
Ok, so the shower doesn't have a pump? What the heck is the pump I am talking about for...I really need to trace out the lines. The pump has the gray hose (1/2"?) connected to it. The pump is mounted to an aluminum angle bracket and bolted to the engine cradle on the starboard side. I will figure it out this weekend.

In my view, the factory setup cannot work well. If you leave the seacock open, then water will surely fill the tanks to full no matter what you do with the "burp" valves. I see no way that the setup is airtight. So, if I wanted to fill say the starboard tank and leave the port tank empty for wake surfing...there is really no way to do this as it is currently configured.

If I get rid of the burp valves and add an electric valve to each tank with two swithes (port and starboard) that control the fill and empty pumps AND the respective valve then I can fill each tank exactly as I want without worry about continueing to fill or empty. I would use this valve or similiar (credit goes to NautiqueJeff over at Planetnautique for the idea).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 2:05pm
The shower pump should be after the mixing valve then on to shower head, it definitely could be your shower pump. Have someone flip the switch and listen to hear if it makes noise. I'm not sure what the OEM pump would have been, ShurFlo perhaps?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 2:28pm
Nope, I have not listened for the pump running, but will this weekend. Thanks for the input.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 3:02pm
There is definitely a pump for the shower, here are some shots of the shower pump and mixing valve on the 206, yours should be similar.

Pump Mounted on Alum Angle Bracket:

Mixing Valve in Trunk:
HW+CW to valve, mixed supply returns to pump inlet side, supply to shower head from pump outlet side.

HW Supply from Block:

CW Supply:
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 3:31pm
Yep, that's it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic