NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoots with 351’s?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoots with 351’s?
    Posted: April-08-2008 at 12:00am
I noticed a nice '88 BFN in the diaries (with only 75 hours on it). The engine is a PCM 351. Pardon my ignorance, but was this a standard engine? I figured all of the BFN's were 454's.

Second question; I posted a question on another thread, asking for opinions of the V-drive BFN's. Does anyone have an opinion of the V-drive compared to the DD BFN?

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:24am
Don't know about the 351 bf's. Probably worse choice of the stock smallblocks for high rpm power.

I've footed behind and BF Excel once....once.
Damn wake looked like it came up to my knees. That was mid thirties for speed, Great if you stayed in the table, but thats boring. Don't know what it looks like at 40+. So many other better choices. Wakeboard boat before its time, ImO.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:01pm
Tull,

I have driven a few of v-drive BFN's the wakes they put out are much larger th en ours.

Both the 351 and the 454 were an option for the BFN, the 460 was also an optional motor for a time. Most buyers opted for the 454. I have only seen two BFN's with 351. But I am only one person and I have not seen near as many CC's as some of the other guys here on the site.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:11pm
I'm assuming the standard engine was the 351, just like the SNs of today still come with 275 hp (carbed??) engines but you'll have a hard time finding one with less than the Excaliber. I'd like to think dealers aren't/weren't stocking base engines, unless the customer walks in and orders it that way.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:59pm
Hollywood,

I was assuming the same thing. A BFN with a 351 was most likely ordered that way by the original owner. Although there are people that only look at the price tag never thinking about the true functions of the boat/vehicle. Some may have been bought for pleasure recreational use, and the smoother ride. That would make sense to put a 351 in it then.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 2:31pm
I had a 1992 V-drive BFN with the 351 in it. It was fine for a single footer and a great wakeboard boat. Obviously, it doesn't have the grunt of a big block. Only reason I traded out of it was because I found my SAN with one. i had a friend who had an 86 BFN/454 at the same time, and I thought the wakes were extremely similar despite being two completely different boats, same shape, size, etc.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 4:35pm
I believe the standard engine in a dominique was a 351. Same hull as a BFN there used to be a really nice blue one on our lake but it disappeared.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:59am
Friend of mine from the ski club had a beautiful Dominique...awesome boat. Traded it for a mc. Unbelievable.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic