NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

440, 454, or 460?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:19pm
Chev 502 or 572, its only money..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Reid, I looked forward to being schooled over some bugs and a beer or 20. Come to think of it, Steve Workman ought to keep that Barracuda original and sell me the Crusader wicked cheap. Wouldn't the Boat Dr die if I walked right by his American Skier with that plain Jane Crusader.

I like that idea Bruce, about Steve keeping the Barracuda orig and selling you the Vortec. I once saw a 'Cuda for sale with a 383. Now wouldn't that be the sh%t, Steve?! But as for the plain Jane Crusader walking the dog on Boatdr, well, his 331 is already north of 300hp, so you might have your work cut out for you. But it sure is a good place to start. The Green Flash......??
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 11:24pm
383 would be great. Makes me wonder why CC never used them. Mopars do sound nice. Our old Barracuda sounded sweet.

The Green Flash sounds good. I wouldn't change that engine a bit. Probably could even pass it off as a Ford to plenty of people up here in Maine. Those Vortec do go like heck though. You'll get to see Jeff Kostis' for youself at NE.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 12:56am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I like that idea Bruce, about Steve keeping the Barracuda orig and selling you the Vortec. I once saw a 'Cuda for sale with a 383. Now wouldn't that be the sh%t, Steve?!   

OK...Reid... I like your idea...Now all you need to do is find me that 383 set-up....but Im still not to keen on selling the Vortec.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 1:13am

The Green Flash......??

Now who could he be talking about..??

reid..I have a deal in the works that if all goes well I should have the cash flow to order my new AFR heads and cam, soon, so you better put a tune up on the, Baby Blue bomber and the candy-cane crusier!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 3:14am
Man you guys are callin' each other out months before GL.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

The Green Flash......??

Now who could he be talking about..??

reid..I have a deal in the works that if all goes well I should have the cash flow to order my new AFR heads and cam, soon, so you better put a tune up on the, Baby Blue bomber and the candy-cane crusier!

Mark, while I know you hope that any correlation between the color green and speed would naturally be about the your Lime Screamer, this time the "Green Flash" was in reference to Riley (Bruce's) light green Am Skier if he were to drop in 62wood's Vortec. Now go get those heads Mark!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I like that idea Bruce, about Steve keeping the Barracuda orig and selling you the Vortec. I once saw a 'Cuda for sale with a 383. Now wouldn't that be the sh%t, Steve?!   

OK...Reid... I like your idea...Now all you need to do is find me that 383 set-up....

Well lets talk Steve, as I really do like this idea as well, since I do have your 60's vintage complete big block Chrysler sitting in my shop right now, but it's that 413. Do a CCFan "413" search and you can see picts of it when we started to install it in our '68 SN several yrs back. But as you might imagine, the engine could use a rebuild. I bought it as a running engine with a ton of hours on it and the seller/owner acknowledged that it had been using a bit of oil for sometime. But had never been rebuilt before other than head servicing. A rebuild with a new grind cam, alum intake (easily found) and maybe flat top pistons would nicely raise the compression from its orig low 8.2 CR and HP rating of only 280@4000rpm. Something like 10:1 CR and 350 HP at somewhere around 4800 rpm would be cake. I even talked to a vintage cam grinder at Shadbolt Cams some time back who said he had RR blanks. Hopefully they are still in biz. The 413-B Golden Commando engine is listed in the Reference Section Chrysler manual. This particular engine however is a 1964 model I believe, but is still vintage correct, and you can always tell people it's a 383. I'll crate it up and send it out to you COD this afternoon!! I smell 56 mph.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:42pm
Steve, that sounds like an offer too good to refuse.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 12:59am
A keen eye would be able to tell it wasnt a 383. a 413 is a raised block where a 383 is a short deck block. a 426 and a 440 are also raised block but a 400 is a short deck like a 383. Thats pretty cool it was called a golden commando in a boat. thats what they were called in that vintage of cars to.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:39am
Now they didn't need to know all that, Zach. We need to keep a few engine secrets for ourselves, don't we? He'll probably back out of the deal now. Next I was gonna convince him that it's a 413 Max Hemi Indy Wedge, so I could get top dollar. Those GM guys are so gullible.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:47am
Hahahah wow reid could you imagine and indy headed big block chrysler in a boat

Maybe a 505 stroker 440 block with an indy intake and heads. Can you say 600 hp easily:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic