NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question rope kick back protector options

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question rope kick back protector options
    Posted: March-20-2008 at 6:47pm
I have only been able to find only one kind of rope kick back protector made by Kwik-Tec. I was hoping I would find something that would look nicer, maybe with a Nautique logo. Does anybody know about another one?

This is what I am talking about:

Thanks
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 6:54pm
Overtons sells em.
Sometimes see them on ebay with blank black or other color nylon covers.
Overtons
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 6:55pm
My dad has a Nautique shock tube- Im not sure if theyre available anymore. Maybe try White Lake, MWCC or SECC?

I have a straight line that I think looks good- I got a red one to match the boat.

Theyre available at Wiley's.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:03pm
COOOOOLLL!!!!

These options are a lot better. I think the SL looks very nice. Too bad is only available in red. I guess I can consider red as a precaution color.

Thanks for the feedback!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:07pm
Actually the 4' are availble in other colors. The red only was the 2'. I think I found what I was looking for. Thanks again.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:09pm
You might check with your local dealer. I beleive mine still carries shock tubes that say "Nautiques by Correct Craft" if that appeals to you. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:16pm
Hmmmm!!! I will call them. That was what I had originally in my mind.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:22pm
I called my dealer and they don't carry them. Is ok since I like the SL too.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 10:52pm
Silver Spray Marine in Fenton Mi. has "Nautique" rope kick back protectors.
I think they are $30-.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:54am
Hey Doggy,

Do you mean Silver Spray Sports in Fenton, MI or White Lake in NC?

Curious what others have experienced, for me using a really good quality line seems to eliminate most of that lash back, at 15' off anyways.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:57am
CQ: you mean no kick back when you dump off the glide slide at 15 off? Sweet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:08am
I've seen them for sell lots of places but my question is; Do they really work? I don't see too many of them around but then I'm a wake/kneeboarder. I use a spectra line rope so very little kick back if any at all.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:24am
When wakeboarding, you don't want a rope that will stretch, you don't want recoil while in the air. But slalom, you want a little stretch. Another useful thing for the shock tube is drivers that can't keep the rope off the chrome hardware at the back when picking up a skier, they can grab the tube and lift their tangle.
Tim D
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:42pm
Quinner
Your right - I eddddddted it.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 2:51pm
This is questionable but I believe there are some advantages of having it. We did something really stupid while skiing. Our rope broke so we make a knot and kept using it like that for months. One day the rope snapped while pulling a skier and the protector kept most of the recoil at the end of the protector. Also, since the rope is behind me makes it easier to move the rope to the side of boat when i am picking up the skier.

For me the main reason is to protect the engine cover all the time.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:03pm
These are a must when you're out there throwing tight turns and cutbacks like some of us do. I do know the mini 1' PerfectPass switch cover costs like $25, those SLs are a good deal.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:11pm
Okay, thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I guess it makes sense. You have a "bungee" cord rope and a skier in a tight turn and he/she eats it then the handle bungee jumps back into the boat. I get it!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:13pm
Last night I sent an e-mail to White Lake Marine, that was Waterdog wrong information, but the have them for $22.They sent me a picture. Thanks to everybody.

This looks really long to me, what you guys think?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:19pm
I wouldn't worry about it being too long, better than too short. I think it's a must have item. We use a good quality 80 strand rope and a shock tube and the rope and handle can still coil back under the right conditions. It only takes a split second. I've had the rope come in, wrap around a ski that was on the floor and whip it out of the boat in a split second. I really hate it when the handle comes shooting back.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

For me the main reason is to protect the engine cover all the time.

Don't forget the back of the driver's head..not to mention your passengers...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 4:20pm
Guys, the way I understand it is that the shock tube is actually there to keep the rope from going around the driver's neck rather than "absorb the shock". Gary's kid shot the handle all the way back to my windshield in Shelby '06 so I know it's possible!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it being too long, better than too short.

There's a joke in there somewhere.......
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

This looks really long to me, what you guys think?
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

the shock tube is actually there to keep the rope from going around the driver's neck rather than "absorb the shock".

Exactly.
I've had it happen twice.
1st time, person in the observer's seat got hit (luckily not too bad).
The other time it went between me and the observer and hit the windshield frame. Sounded like a gun shot. (I thought it broke the windshield).
It happens in a split second.
I warn everyone that they need to pay attention when someone is sking.
I've always thought about getting one of those tubes, but unfortunately haven't gotten around to it!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:34pm
There is no question a handle can recoil, it used to happen to me pretty regularly. I have not seen one make it back to the boat in a long time by myself or anyone else, not sure why that is, thought better lines was the reason, who knows, maybe it's cause I never fall anymore, LOL!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it being too long, better than too short.

New signature line for someone?

Must be an "eastcoaster" problem.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic