Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat insurance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat insurance
    Posted: March-13-2008 at 11:24am
Can someone please help.

I am looking at updating my boat insurance and am having a hard time working through all of the options.

1)Do most of you insure you boat on book value or what you have in the boat?

2)Can someone give me an overview of a good general coverage policy.

My agent tells me I have my "old" boat over insured!!!

Thank in advance.

Shawn
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 11:43am
Depends on whether your boat is worth book value or not. I insure mine for the amount of money that if someone walked off the street and offered me for the boat I would hand them the keys and run in the other direction. It definitely kicks up the bill for an old boat, but sometimes bad things happen to good boats. The amount I am increasing my insurance by on my 83sn this year is about the book value.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 11:45am
your over insured until you have a problem,this is from personal experiences....the more popular the insurance company the more problems you will have, with boats i stray from the popular companies because they pro-rate everything and depreciate, hitting your prop or hitting the dock is considered an accident and most do not realize this and its the 2 most common things that happen to the boat, so make sure your coverage dictates that.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 11:45am
Will the insurance company pay you more than book value, even though you know it's worth more and have more into the boat? My guess is that a lot of these older fiberglass inboards have pretty low book values.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Will the insurance company pay you more than book value, even though you know it's worth more and have more into the boat? My guess is that a lot of these older fiberglass inboards have pretty low book values.

They will if you have a declared value in the policy, if you havent specificially included a higher declared value then your still in decent shape as long as the damage doesn't exceed what would be the normal value of the boat. However in complete loss or theft scenarios you would be screwed.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:19pm
the book value for my boat per insurance is 7900 dollars. So, if the boat was stolen they would only give me 7,900 for the boat?

Eric can you make a recommendation on a company to use. For example...I have St. Farm and my premium is around 300 per year. Some of these other companies (Skisafe etc.) have quoted 138 per year. That is insuring on book value only. All deductible are 250 dollars. Is there an average for medical that you recommend?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:28pm
I use Foremost and I have an agreed upon value for the boat and trailer. It cost a little more but it's well worth it. I haven't had a single claim yet in 5 years of boating so I can't tell you how good they are with handling claims. The agreed upon value is the minimum amount that I'd sell the boat for.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:37pm
A friend of mine had a boat fire while out skiing. The damage was extensive enough to total the boat. If not for the agreed upon value, they would have gotten SCREWED on what they got for it.

I'm not sure how they totalled the boat in that scenario, based on the depreciated value of the boat or the agreed upon value though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:48pm
I agree with those above- go with an agreed upon replacement value if you can. Blue book is way low, IMO. I havent found that it costs much more for agreed-value. Dont forget to insure both the boat and trailer.

As far as coverage goes, you want a minimum of 100k/300k coverage for liability, just like a car. The liability portion of the policy will be the largest factor in the cost of the premium. If you can find a policy for ~$100, youre way underinsured, IMO. Dont skimp on insurance!

Ive found that insurance companies familiar with ski boats (Ski Safe, Global Marine, etc) have the most reasonable rates, because they realize that a 19' boat with 300hp is only going to go 45mph. I got a quote from Progressive for over $800/year.

My current policy is with Global- I liked the terms of the policy the best out all the companies I cross-shopped (comp coverage, agreed-value, etc). Their rates were reasonable and theyre endorsed by USA Waterski. You should be able to get a very nice policy on the range of $300 or so.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:59pm
just my .02 and its not the bible, but i Have never had a problem or any issues collecting from Boat Us, or Marine underiters, out of montana, it was send us an invoice and will fed-ex a check. these guys know there can be other problems than just a dinged prop
98SportNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98SportNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 4:37pm
I have two cars a motorcycle and house through Allstate so like most people when I bought my 98 sport nautique last November I called my agent and they wanted over $700.00 after talking to three friends with nautique boats they told me about ski safe I got coverage on an agreed value (more than I paid for the boat and trailer!) for $290.00 a year and they have uninsured boaters liability coverage included that allstate didnt offer. In N.H. you are not required to have insurance.
98 Sport Nautique
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 4:58pm
I go thru Westmar Marine insurance and end up w/ a Progressive policy. Its agreed upon replacement and about $550 yearly for 95SN. I am higher than most because they did payoff on totaled 93SN in 04. Was pretty happy they didnt refuse me.
I'd rather have a drink on the rocks in the boat than have a boat on the rocks in the drink. Been there, done that, no bueno.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:06pm
   When I purchased my superair,I insured it for 10k over what I paid for it.It was only about $50.00 extra a year.I did this because I got a great deal on it,felt it was worth more than I paid for it and knew if it got totaled/damaged I would not be able to buy a replacement for the same price.I'm getting ready to take that extra coverage off now that it's 3 years old.I have ski safe and they were @ 550.00 a year for 65k worth of coverage....half what my regular ins.co(state farm) wanted.I recently price checked Boat US and the coverage and premium was comparable to within a few bucks.Be careful of the policy terms,after a certain peroid of time,alot of the policies change to actual cash value(acv)policies that can get tricky.Say you damage a prop...you get the actual cash value of the prop,which is USED,not the cost to replace it with a new one.If you have a major incident,this can really screw you when it comes time to collect.I also got trailer coverage(roadside)and equipment coverage of $2500.included with my coverage.My only hope is that in the event of a claim,Ski safe will be as friendly then as they have been so far.Good luck

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:16pm
I have ski safe for the Air and use my regular insurance company for the BFN which is nationwide. Ski safe would not sell me a stated value policy for the BFN because of it's age. I am not quite sure if that is true but that is what the lady told me. The air has a stated value. I am going to have to shop around this year for a stated value policy for the BFN though. But I have been lucky and have not needed to make a claim.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:36pm
United Marine Underwriters
$486.00 for $50k coverage:
boat-$46k
trailer-$4k
+$2.5k gear

Ski-Safe has always quoted me higher then most.

I have been told the older the boat the higher the premium, they feel old=more susceptible to failure/sinking/etc.

I did have a major claim in 03' when my boat was destroyed in a fire while in storage. The only issue I had with that claim was they felt the trailer was not totaled so they only wanted to pay out on the boat, once I explained to them how difficult getting their boat off my trailer would be they paid for and took everything including $2.5k worth of gear.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 6:05pm
so basically stay away from the big names?

the problem with the bigger insurers is they have adjusters that write car claims all day and then a once in a while boat and they dont really understand the difference and with the attitude its not broke so why should we be liable, especially on the pcm trans, if you have a hit 90% of the time it will break the drum and sometimes not show up for months later because it may be a hair line crack at the time of the hit, and after time it will work the crack bigger and finally fail, and you think it had nothing to do with the prop being hit, this isnt a once in a while thing, it happens pretty often.
with allstate we qouted painting the complete side of the boat becasue the damage was in the center and being an adjuster that looks at cars all day cut a check for $700.00 and to only spot in the area 2x2, down from 2800.00 and there is nothing you can do...try matching the center of a boat for color
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 9:47pm
    The problem with most insurance companies,as Tim stated,is that they can only relate to 10 HP per foot.If your boat has more than 10 HP per foot it must be a "hot rod" hence the higher rate.I had insurance on my Ranger bass boat for about $200 per year and it went 64 mph(gps),but it was 17.5 ft long and only had a 150hp outboard,so they saw no problem with it.

"we qouted painting the complete side of the boat becasue the damage was in the center and being an adjuster that looks at cars all day cut a check for $700.00 and to only spot in the area 2x2, down from 2800.00 and there is nothing you can do...try matching the center of a boat for color"

Eric,in that situation,I just tell the adjuster to call the customer and tell him he needs to pick up his bike because the insurance company doesn't wan't to have it fixed properly.Usually the adjuster will bend if you make him be the bad guy.I've done it many,many times

If I feel a part has been damaged through an accident and can justify my notion,I will refuse to do the repair until the insurance company signs off on the liabilty.Well, they won't do that.So when they say "ah,we can't do that" I say well "why the hell should I?" I'm the one ultimately responsible,so you fix it right or sign off or call the customer and tell him he has to take it somewhere else(and tell him WHY).
   Another good one is "well,I see you get $72.00 per hour and we only pay $60.00 per hour.......well,I guess you can haul it out of here and take it to a shop that only gets $60.00 an hour.Have a nice day .
   Sorry I turned this into a rant,It just aggrevates me that nothing in the insurance world is negotiable until it comes time for them to pay.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
98SportNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98SportNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 10:15pm
Mike you know I couldn't agree more they are out to make money and if they have to pay they will drag it out as long as they can when I got into my motorcycle accident when an uninsured motorist hit me head one and almost killed me they didnt want to pay me for what my policy was written for so after three years and a jury heard the case I was awarded the full amount plus intrest from the date of the claim.I am the only person in N.H. to have won his case agenst an insurance company in an uninsured motorist case.Its not about the money when you dont have your health anymore no amount is worth that I know this all to well.Make sure you have uninsured on your policy is all I can say because the guy with an 82 Bayliner may not!
98 Sport Nautique
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 5:37pm
just got off the phone with skisafe. 87BFN was right. They will not do an aggreed value for the older boats. He said NADA on my boat was 6,000 dollars, so if it is stolen today they would only replace it for that.

I am going to try Global next.

thanks!!
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 5:51pm
BoatUS= $200 per year for a stated value of 9,000 with 100,000 liability

Global Marine is next
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 5:54pm
I had Boats US in the past with no trouble,but no claimes either.I went to go back with them last year but now,because it's an inboard,they wanted a marine survey done.I asked what was the difference between an IO which did not need one and inboard.They couldn't tell me.So with help like that what would happen if I had a claim? Everything I still get from them goes in the trash.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic