Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

general questions re 1999+ Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
davemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: general questions re 1999+ Sport
    Posted: February-22-2008 at 6:08pm
Hi (first post). I'm considering purchasing a used direct drive inboard ski boat, and had a couple questions for Sport owners. Background: my kids are young (6 &9). Oldest now can slalom, and soon to try wakeboarding. I'm a "has been" advanced recreational slalom skier.
I'm looking for an "all purpose" boat bias towards slalom at this point with open bow. The boat that seems to fit my needs is the Nautique Sport 1999 or newer (and also the Malibu Sunsetter). Hoping to keep price close to $20k.
I wanted some feedback as to what I could expect with regard to the wake size on the Sport for slalom skiing- as compared to the 196 ??
Also, when not skiing and just "family cruising" around the lake, how does the hull perform in light chop, other boat wakes, etc? Is it safe to assume that it is a "softer" ride than the 196?
Thanks for responses/ insight.
-Dave
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:41pm
Welcome to the site!

I had a 99' Air w/TSC hull, pretty much the same boat as a sport. Had a GT-40 which was a great and dependable motor. The wake is definitely not going to be as good as a TSC hull 196 but it is a very ski able wake, I would say it is very comparable to the pre TSC hulled Ski Nautiques, 1996 and prior I believe. If the kids do get into wakeboarding the sport has a decent enough wake for that.

Had our 99' for about 5 seasons and 500hrs and it was a really great boat, lots of room, large trunk even if you have ballast tanks, large floor locker plus observer under seat storage. Handled rough pretty well as it is a relatively big boat, 21' IIRC, definitely better than a 196.

Good Luck
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:04pm
I think those Air SN are the best crossover boat. You have the space of the open bow and the wakeboard package. Currently I have an 87 SN 2001. Great boat and does everything fine for me, an intermediate ski and wakeboard. I hope my next boat is a 1999+ Air. The reason is the open bow and the internal ballast tank. That way I don't need to have all the fat sack in the way and if need more I bet you can place one in the back locker. This is nice to have specially when you have the boat full of people. If you can I recommend you look at his option. Slightly more expensive but your kids won't out grow the boat.

BTW, Chris nice boat
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 11:14pm
I went from a 99' ski nautique to a 99' sport nautique last year. I owned the ski nautique for 5 years, and loved it. We spent the end of the season in the sport and managed to get 30+ hours of engine time on it.

Ski wake at 32-34mph is great. I have run 15' off and 28' off thru the course, (never run 22' off even with the ski nautique). It tracks great, but is not nearly as nimble in the course or around tight set ups as the 196.

Open water cruising is great, we have a tower, and its great for mounting the bimimni on, otherwise, I could do with out it as we don't wakeboard. Its somewhat better for rough waters, but its still a ski boat, and they will never ride like a cobalt in the rough water. The only down side is taking a few giant waves over the bow, we have some 30-60' cruisers that run wfo on the lake, and if you cant get away from them they will get you wet.

We really like the trunk and the sun pad, storage on them is great and it gives the wife a nice place to worship the sun.

Most of the 99-02' series will have the gt-40s and you cant beat it for realiability and performance.

Pick up an acme 422 and it will flaten out the wake, add PP and you will have a great family ski machine, worthy of hours of cruising the lake and many passes thru the slalom course.

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 3:24pm
I have a 2000 Air, and previously had an 01 sport. I love them both, in rough water they both ride smoother. But yes they still are a ski boat, you if it's really rough your going to feel it. If your not used to driving an open bow you need to remember to keep the nose up when crossing a wake. If you don't the people in the bow are going to get a nice shock of cool lake water. As for skiing, I like the wake on it, it is a little bigger then the 196 though. But for an all around boat you can't beat it. Just my 2 cents.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 5:20pm
Hey
Is that James? I thought you might have sold your boats and headed over the MC site.
But I figure you've been busting your butt plowing all this white stuff.
Hope all is well,

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

davemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:56pm
Thanks for the insight, guys. Much appreciated.
-dave
-Dave
New England
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic