Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In The Market

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Watercat11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In The Market
    Posted: January-11-2008 at 9:32pm
Hello Everyone - I am in the market for my first inboard. I have recently picked up wakeboarding and just enjoy being around water. Does anyone have any recommendations for a first time inboard purchase as far as model, year, in and outs, etc. - what to look for in regards to a nice used inboard such as a super air or others. (Best bang for the buck...)I am looking to stay around $30K give or take. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 9:39pm
If wakeboarding is your game, and you have a 30K budget, and you are looking for a Correct Craft/Nautique, I would look for a Super Air Nautique, or an Air 210. I would not sell mine for 30K, but I have seen them out there for that price.

The SAN/Air 210 is generally considered one of the best wakeboarding boats built to date.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 11:38pm
it seems the wakeboarder guys prefer the rear engine v-drive boats instead of the mid mount inboard, i would imagine that the boat BKH mentioned is a a boat with this configuration. the v-drive boats have all the weight aft and provides a better wake, and i think the v-drive boats have a touch more room. somebody please correct me if i am mistaken
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 12:44am
You are correct Eric. The boats I recommended are V-Drives, and the V-Drives are the preferred configuration amongst wakeboarders.

At 30K, he should be able to find a 99 or 2000, perhaps even an 01 or 02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 4:07am
Here is a 2000 SAN in San Diego for 27K. In San Diego, perhaps a salt water boat, but a good price. BKH

2000 SAN
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 4:12am
This guys says he has a 2002 SAN for 28.5K. BKH

2002 SAN
Livin' the Dream

882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 4:57pm
ss-supersport is the same hull as 210. if that were my budget, i would buy an ss/210 or the original xstar/205v/x2/x1{all those are the same hull. probably get bashed for recomending the "wrong"craft, but i can take it. imo those two hulls are the best wake hulls to date.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 6:54pm
It's just an SN but I would look at it.

2000 SN
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

It's just an SN but I would look at it.

A great boat, but if your passion is wakeboarding this is not the boat for you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 8:17pm
That's why I said it just a SN. I like the boat, looks well maintained. It has the right engine if you wanted to weight it down. I agree not the correct boat if your main use is wakeboarding. I saw it and just thought I would throw it out there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 8:29pm
These are the super airs listed in the for sale section, when I selected a price range of $20-$32K

super airs

Super sports listed same price range.

super sport

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

That's why I said it just a SN. I like the boat, looks well maintained. It has the right engine if you wanted to weight it down. I agree not the correct boat if your main use is wakeboarding. I saw it and just thought I would throw it out there.

Nice boat, but it would never throw a great wakeboarding wake no matter how much weight was added- the shape just wouldnt be there. The price is also a good $5k high.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 12:20pm
I did a SS in the summer and the guy was wanting to dump it, i posted his number somewhere on this site, from memeory he was in the 25k range. it was in good shape. it was a wife sale...she said it had to go
does anyone remember the post?
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 2:51pm
Thanks for the info and recommendations, I appreciate everyones help! Is there any potential equipment issues to look for in those particular years 99 - 02 (super air & ss) that I should be aware of while looking at them? (i.e. motor issues, eletronics, skins, etc.)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 7:15pm
Just gauge issues, the digital gauges go bad and have to be replaced. So watch out for the ones that are advertised as low hour boats. When the gauge is chnaged there is no way to put the original hours on the boat on the new hour meter. No different then any other boat though. AS it has been discussed hours on a boat are not the problem. Maintaince or the lack there of is the key.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 7:47pm
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

All - I have been hearing more about the direct drive ski nautiques from the 80's. I understand that they throw a pretty good wake. Any comments regarding these years and any recommendations about pursuing an 83 - 88 would be appreciated. Hours, what to look for, what to avoid, worst case scenario repair / maintenance $'s, etc if purchased. Also what are some of the key maintenance and operational quesions to ask as well as visuals to key in on while looking at a nautique from the 80's. Thanks.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 10:21pm
Well if you want to spend 30k I can sell you one hell of a 1983 Ski Nautique.

But seriously the things to look for would be floor/stringer softness (these boats all still used wood in the stringer and up front around the seats/cooler/battery box area. Floor and stringers will set you back 2-3k if you have someone do it. Engine problems such as water in oil, etc that will require an engine replacement could bring you 4.5-5k if someone else is doing the work. You could spend 2-3k on vinyl and a cover if you needed it as well. Transmission problems could be serious as well but less expensive (1k or so) you also want to check for drive train vibrations as you could spend a grand on a prop/strut/driveshaft combo replacement.

Or all these things could be great on a boat that you pay 5.5 to 6k for and you could be in wakeboard bliss. Well after 2k for a tower 1 k for a perfect pass and 5-600 for some sacks and pumps.

2001 series boats run from 82 to 89, you might also want to check out www.the2001.com
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 10:40pm
WaterCat - We lucked out & found (last Fall) a '89 2001 that was babied by the POs. My son steered me into this (wise kid). It has 850 hours & only 1 scratch on it. Interior looks like new. Haven't taken the floor apart yet to look for wet foam but engine lag bolts are good & tight so I have my fingers crossed about the stringers.

Still will pour a thousand into it this spring for various repairs & upgrades.

We are planning on keeping it along time as it will do everything we need it to do.

So there are some great boats out there. The guys on this site will help you find the right one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 11:37pm
I like this one myself. It will still require looking into further before considering a purchase.

for sale

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 1:04pm
Any thoughts on the black and silver '83 SN:
1983 Ski Nautique
Asking: $8,500
(Couldn't paste the link for some reason??)

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 1:50pm
You might have to change your internet explorer security settings to allow scripted windows for the link button above the post to work for you.

Get us a link and we will take a look.
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 1:54pm
If you are talking about this one Unique 83 Then I would say it looks decent but would have to be in pretty good shape up close to command full price.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 7:17pm
If your talking about the one Joe linked above, you might be able to get him to come down a little more. Looks good from here, but it would still need to be checked out in person.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 7:28pm
Yes the Unique 83 Joe linked from above. Picture looks good. Worth looking into? Advice on questions to ask. Thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 8:43pm
You can ask to see maintaince records if they have any. Lots of guys here do their own maintaince, so don't be to suprised if he doesn't have any. Can asked what parts have been replaced or updated. A lot of your other questions are going to come from looking at the boat. You can ask about the floor/stringers, are they original have they been replaced. Most everyone here agrees a test drive is a must, that will stem some questions. Ask about the trailer maintaince how old are the tires. When is the last time the bearings were packed/replaced?

I would say a compression test and maybe a leak down test is in order for an over all health essement of the engine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Watercat11 Watercat11 wrote:

All - I have been hearing more about the direct drive ski nautiques from the 80's. I understand that they throw a pretty good wake. Any comments regarding these years and any recommendations about pursuing an 83 - 88 would be appreciated. Hours, what to look for, what to avoid, worst case scenario repair / maintenance $'s, etc if purchased. Also what are some of the key maintenance and operational quesions to ask as well as visuals to key in on while looking at a nautique from the 80's. Thanks.

Joel put together a pretty good checklist here.

The 2001 hull that youre hearing about ran from 1982 to 1989.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 6:32pm
Thanks for the link to the checklist I appreciate it. What would the depreciation be on a boat such as the 83 that Joe linked from above in 2 yrs with another 200 hours. Assuming the boat is in good condition?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 7:55pm
I wouldn't think it would be much so long as the boat was maintained well. Nothing major happened to it. Mars in the gel, rips in the interior. The 2001 models are holding their value very well due to their wakeboarding abilities. The price tag on these boats is like the fox body mustang in the late 90's, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Some people will feel their boat is worth more then someone elses, but that could be for good reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic