Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Rope Question.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom Rope Question.
    Posted: November-23-2007 at 4:26pm
What are the official take-off lengths from a 75' rope for a competition course?
Work to live, not live to work.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 4:36pm
15, 22, 28, 32, 35, 38, 39.5, 41

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 4:38pm
Thanks, and how is speed determined?

Maddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 4:41pm
Rope is 75' with the following take off's which are all color coded.

Red=60ft or 15 off
Orange=53ft or 22 off
Yellow=47ft or 28 off
Green=43ft or 32 off
Blue=40ft or 35 off
Violet=37ft of 38 off
Neutral=35.5ft or 39.5 off
Red=34ft or 41 off
My Dad is So Cool!
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 4:58pm
Maddie,

Thanks for the full description. Do you know how speed is decided?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 5:48pm
There are 16 categories of boys/mens skiing, and 15 categories for girls/women. These classes are age based with the exception of the Open class for both men and women, which is the most skilled class, and the class under which the pros will participate.

The minimum starting speed for any class is 25 kph, or about 15.5 mph. Each class has a maximum speed ranging from 30.4 mph for the young boys and girls, to 34.2mph for the open women, and 36 mph for the open men.

In the old days, speed in the US was in mph, and was bumped up in 2 mph increments. These days, the speeds are most often in kph, and are bumped up in 3kph increments.

A skier is supposed to reach the max speed within the class before beginning to take off rope length. I have seen local amateur tournaments where skiers take off rope length, but are not at max speed, but I don't know how these tournaments work.

You can do a search on both American Water Ski Association and International Water Ski Association and find the complete tournament rules for Slalom, jump, trick (or shortboarding as it's now called), speed skiing, and I believe they now cover wakeboarding and hydrofoiling as well.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 7:56pm
Cool, thanks for all the info and leads to the other sites.

Gabe

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:49am
Maddie: You certainly are a knowledgable young lady when it comes to water skiing. Quite good looking too I might add...must look like your mother.

I think you might want to check your signature line tho....I believe you dad might have added something without your knowledge.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 2:23am
Did I read her profile right? Maddie is 8 years old?

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:18am

Yes she is.

Check out her last name in her profile...and put 2 and 2 together.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Maddie Maddie wrote:

Rope is 75' with the following take off's which are all color coded.

Red=60ft or 15 off
Orange=53ft or 22 off
Yellow=47ft or 28 off
Green=43ft or 32 off
Blue=40ft or 35 off
Violet=37ft of 38 off
Neutral=35.5ft or 39.5 off
Red=34ft or 41 off

So how does this work? Do you take off the Red section to be at 15' off, and then take the Orange off and keep the red off to be at 22'off and so on? Or do you just remove the Orange and put the red back on for 22'off for example.

I'm sure I could figure this out by getting my rope out but it's in the bow of my boat and the boat is still covered in snow.

My wife and I just started skiing the course last summer and I want to look a little like I know what I'm doing when I start taking off sections this spring.

Thanks

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 3:58am
No. When you are at the end of the red, you are at 15 off. The first section, if you were to actually take it out is usually white. BKH

At the end of the red line is 22 off, end of orange line is 28 off, etc.    You don't actually remove loops. You just shorten the rope up to the next loop if that makes sense BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 4:02am
Actually, just took a peak at my ropes. I have one where the first 15 feet are white, and one where the first 15 feet are black, so I don't know that I was correct above in saying that usually the first 15 feet are white. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 1:14pm
Gabe,

If you need a new slalom line find a good quality line which has the take-offs tagged like this one, note the silver markers on the rope.

If you are not planning on buying a new line take yours out and measure it from the end going towards the handle to verify which loops are which. If you guy's are just learning you should stick with 15' off until you can run the course, another thing is depending on your boat the wake may be better at certain line lengths, when free skiing you may want to experiment the various lengths, shorter lines will also tend to make you ski a little quicker.

Have Fun!
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 7:02pm
Thanks guys, I have a Goode take off rope it's marked with colors but not tags. I was skiing the course pretty confidently last summer at 15 off so I'm stoked to start moving up the line.

Last summer we had a 1979 Ski Tique, but sold that over the winter and got a 94 Ski Nautique. The Tique had a better wake closer to the boat I have not skied behind the 94 yet.

Thanks again for the advice.
Gabe

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic