Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil in my GT-40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil in my GT-40
    Posted: October-20-2007 at 11:25pm
How long can my engine sit with no oil in it. I went to change it and they sent the wrong filter. Also how do you clean the flame arrestor?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 4:15am
Probably quite a while, since the oil drains into the crank case anyway, as long as it's not so long you forget that there is no oil in it.

I use spray carb cleaner and a rag to clean my flame arrestor. WD 40 works also. If it is really grimy, a toothbrush helps, too.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 2:11pm
Do you have a local auto parts store you can goto. It's just a regular oil filter nothing special about it.
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 2:18pm
It may be a few days before I can get to town. What kinda filter do I ask for. Just a 351 Filter?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by 1998Nautique 1998Nautique wrote:

It may be a few days before I can get to town. What kinda filter do I ask for. Just a 351 Filter?

That should work. Have them cross reference Motorcraft FL1A.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 10:42pm
Any of these should work.

Fram PH8A
AC Delco PF2
Motorcraft FL-1A
Wix 51515

Although if you read other threads here, they will steer you away from Fram. I just put a Wix on mine yesterday.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 11:46am
Or you could put the old one back on until you get a new one...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 10:54pm
I use a Motorcraft FL-1A, stay away from Fram, I wouldn't put a Fram on my lawnmower.

For cleaning the flam arrester, any degreaser should work. I used a cleaner called Purple Power from Advanced Auto, sprayed it with a diluted mixture and let it sit for a few minutes, then sprayed it off with water and it looks like new   
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 11:59pm
Do yourself a favor and put a piece of masking tape over the igition saying "no OIL"

Never know....

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 12:57pm
reminds me of....When I was a kid, my dad was changing the clutch in the car. I jumped in the car pushed the clutch and ran it thru a few shifts, pretending to drive. After he second shift or two I heard dad screaming....blew the slave cylinder out with him under it!

Put that tape on the ignition!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 6:16pm
I bet he was not very happy
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 6:45pm
I believe I recall a wrench heading my way as I exited the garage!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 7:24pm
I remember those days, my dad would be under the car working on something and I would lean on the car or climb up on the front of the truck and dirt or some sort of crap would fall in his eye. He was never happy about that. Now he does the same to me when I am working on something. Oh yeah I once leaned on the fender of a van that my uncle just got done painting about 30 seconds before I leaned on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic