Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedos Clogg a lot.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedos Clogg a lot.
    Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:28am
I've only had my new 94 Nautique out a few times; the weather is cold here now. When I first put it in the water one speedo was clogged and not working at all and the other was functioning with some delay. After running for a while in very clear water they both started working. Then I took it to the lake we usually ski and they both stopped working with in a few seconds of being in the water. This second lake is a little foggy, but not bad. The speedo on my 79 Tique has never clogged in either lake or any lake for that matter.

I know the previous owner ran the boat in pretty dirty water. Could their be some build up in the speedos? Any good cleaning methods?
Work to live, not live to work.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:22am
My 99' was the same way with the speedo's from brand new, our lake has some weed issues and there was always 1 speedo not working or dropping out or just acting crazy even when running in clear water, never did figure it out. Current boat never a problem with the speedo or the PP speed display. I always wondered if it could have something to do with where the pickups were mounted on the hull.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 5:17am
I have problems on certain days in the fall...little leaves in the water! The pitots clear every hard turn and then pick up more crap as soon as we throttle up. Last week it was hard to make a run with out both clogging, clearing,clogging etc...water looked good until I noticed very small leaves just under the surface...this week no prob.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:07am
I keep a small syringe with a (same diameter rubber tube as the pitot) small rubber tube on the end of it. When the pitot becomes clogged I'll climb on the platform reach under and gently pull the the rubber tube of the pickup. draw water into the syringe, attach to pitot and back pressure the obstruction out. May have to do this several times to get it to work but works 95% of the time. If not you have have to get a small fish hook and dig out the blockage when you get her back on the trailer.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 5:58pm
The replacements they have at skidim, overtons, or many CC dealers are much better about not clogging. They don't look exactly the same, but are a much better design from a functionality standpoint. I need to put mine on this weekend as my original airguide pickup has been picking up a lot of junk.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:14am
east Tx, are you speaking of just replacement pickups or the hole speedo setup?

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:17am
Oh east tx, nice boat by the way I like those colors. I'll post some pics of my 94 next spring when the snow melts off of it. You can see my 79 at the link below if you want.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

east Tx, are you speaking of just replacement pickups or the hole speedo setup?

He's just talking about the pickups. I too have heard that theyre much more resistant to clogging. Ive got a pair from SkiDIM that I need to install.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:00pm
Yes, like Tim mentioned, I'm talking about the $13 pickups like they have at skidim. You have to drill two holes in the pickup to make it fit the hole pattern of the original airguide part, but after that, I just dip the screws in 3M 5200 and reset. I had one on my old MC and I never had to unclog it in the year I had it on there. I put the original airguide back on there before I sold it, so I'll put the replacement on the SN in the next day or so.

Thanks for the compliments on my new-to-me ride.   I'll be off to check out your 79 after I click the "post" button. And I look forward to the pictures of your thawed out 94 come spring!

/edit. What a beauty! From the pictures, your 79 looks brand new!
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 3:12am
Thanks the 79 only took a little work. It has very low hours and was kept indoors and unused for a long time. I'm going to try the new pickups in the spring.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic