Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would this prop work for my 1983 SN2001?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would this prop work for my 1983 SN2001?
    Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:24pm
I've got a 1983 SN2001 with a 351w.

It's a MW 13x13x1 RH. I'm looking to get a spare and I can get this from some guy on CL for about $70.

The prop my boat came with is a 13x14, but from the info I've read on this site, it seems that this should work. Just want to make sure before I go ahead and buy. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:28pm
That prop will work great, probably better than the 13x14 you have on there now.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:43pm
That prop, IMHO, is junk,That 351 will most likely not pull it to the rated WOT rpms that PCM states for that engine.
The 13x13 Legend 3 blade is far superior to the MW.
The next choice would be the 4Force same dia. and pitch.
This all depends on what purpose the boat is being used for,cruising, skiing, or speed............boat dr
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:54pm
Thanks for the input. I'll be using it for wakeboarding pretty much exclusively with probably about 600# and a few people in the boat to start, and maybe more weight over time.

Ideally I'd get an ACME 542 or 540, but don't really have the $$ right now and I'm just hoping to get a spare for cheap so that I don't have a lot of down time if something happens to the one on the boat now.

Of course, if it's not really worth putting any money into, I'll just keep looking for something better. I don't need the prop right now, so I have time for patience. Would only go for this if it's a good deal and would work well.

BTW, what does WOT stand for? I've seen it being used on the forum, but haven't found a definition. Thanks.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:03pm
wide open throttle

Back in the day when I wakeboarded with a MW 13x12 on the boat it didn't exactly "take off" out of the whole with 10 people onboard. That prop will get you going, but will be very slow.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:04pm
I think yours was a 13x13 from the factory, if adding weight and people you need to go down not up,on your pitch.13x13 4blade will be the ticket, but that is just my humble brain speaking, sorry for the info rambling.....boat dr
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:21pm
So if I need to go down in pitch, this 13x13 would actually be better than the 13x14 that's on my boat right now, right? But either way, it's not the ideal, and I'd be better off waiting until I can get a 4 blade 13x13?

Sorry for the many questions. Sure appreciate the input all of you give on this site.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:32pm
IF you can get that prop for 70, and your currently running a 13x14 and adding weight for boarding IMHO you should go ahead and buy that prop it will work better and 70 for a straight spare is a good deal. When your ready to spend money on a new prop you can start a whole new arguement there...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:18pm
Becarefull ask the guy if you can test the prop first before you buy if the guy lives close. If the prop has been reworked at all and they cut to much off it will be much slower then when it was new. Had that problem before.
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:10pm
Thanks for the info. It's a bit too far to test and it looks like someone is offering the guy more than $70 for it and I don't want to get into a bidding war over something that is probably not going to do it for me in the long run. I think I'll just wait for the right one to come along. Even if I have to pay a fair bit more, it's probably worth it if it's the right prop. Thanks again and have a great Labor Day weekend. Hope you all get to enjoy your boats! Cheers.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 10:39pm
I just came for my first boarding day after some distributor and carb tunning.

Im running a MW 13x12 "supercup" prop with some dings/hits, we loaded a 300lbs fat sack in the back between the doghouse and the seat, and 3 adults in the cockpit + the skier.
The boat performed real good but I think it could use some more revs at boarding speed (22mph) since the engine ran smoother at 25mph

Currently my tach is off so I'm making guesses on the engine's melody. I hope I'll bring it back online this month. Then I'll start shopping for a prop.

Boat doc, why do you recommend a 4 blade over the 540 or 542?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 5:01am
I would recommend a OJ 4-blade over the 540 or 542 also, for me the OJ had better low end power, mid and top end, then the 540, but thats on my boat, it may work well for you, you need to try to test a few before you buy a new one...but you should buy that one for 70, if it dont work as good as the one you have now, you can always use it for a low water prop!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic