NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still Running Strong w/148K miles

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still Running Strong w/148K miles
    Posted: August-19-2007 at 9:07pm
My 1999 Mercury Mountaineer clicked over to 148K miles yesterday. This truck is still running rock solid, with no indication of slowing down. I change my oil ever 7K miles with synthetic and take it to Ford for scheduled tune-ups. I felt the urge to post this, because I'm pretty please with the results my truck has given me over the years. That 302 engine is a workhorse. It's never let me down since I've owned it.

I look forward to posting my 200K mark. I truly appreciate the performance my humble SUV has produced over the years. It pulls my Nautique like a pro. Go Ford!

Ken

69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 10:01pm
Ken,

Glad to hear it! I'm pushing 158,000 on my 1500 Silverado, although not totally trouble-free, it has served me well.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 10:07pm
That's great Ken. Now if only you could keep the boat running like that.....oops, that may have been out of line Seriously though, glad to hear the boat's running great. We had a 98 Explorer that was nickle and diming us to death at 85,000 miles, so we traded it in on an 02. The 02 just flipped 62000 this morning, and already since we've had it, it has a new computer, transfer case, and a rebuilt rear differential...thankfully all under the extended warranty.    I don't know that I'll get another Ford, but it's great to see you getting trouble free use out of yours.

Rob
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 10:19pm
Hey Rob,

How's it going, my friend. Glad to hear from you. Yeah, too bad my 351's aren't like my 302. With that said, I'm glad to be back on the water.

How's the GT40 treating you? I had the honor to drive Kyle's 176, SN with the GT40. Went like a bat out of hell. I wouldn't mind giving your boat a spin next year. I think I'm going to keep the '86 and buy a '99 Python SN. Tough little monkeys find. Tim keeps telling me GT40. We'll see what happens when the day comes, as I can't find one for sale anywhere!

Ken
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 11:44pm
Ken, again, people are out there, ready to sell, but they just haven't posted an ad. Post a WTB ad and you'll find some Pythons, trust me. They are not tough to find.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 1:07am
Ken; That is real nice about your explorer but it is hardly broke in compared to Reid's. I think he is pushing 300k. Rode in it a couple weeks ago and you would never know it.

Hey..I asked a couple questions about the boat on another thread. Did you see it?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 1:09am
Ken; Whoops...my bad...just went thru again and saw your post about the engine...sorry. Am excited about the other news. Maybe we need to talk in person some nite.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 1:48am
I've got 242,000 miles on my '86 4Runner.
Tim D
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 2:07am
Man is that clean..you must live in the south.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 10:31am
that toy would of lasted about a year and half up here in ohio
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:36am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Ken; That is real nice about your explorer but it is hardly broke in compared to Reid's. I think he is pushing 300k. Rode in it a couple weeks ago and you would never know it.
john

Thanks John. Yep Ken, my 98 5.0 Exploder which I've had since new, just hit 327,000. My engine was replaced under warranty at 48K, so it's only got roughly 280K on it, never added oil. T-case at 116, A/C comp. about 220K, A/C blower two weeks ago. But the trans is still original, maybe because it has a cooler with the tow pkg. It's had other small maint-type issues addressed, and I've questioned how many add'l items I'll end up replacing before she retires, but now the goal is 400. I still daily drive it and I just love the payments. Must of been built on a Wednesday.

Note: The engine was actually replaced TWICE under warranty, the first being at 24,000 for a mysterious light tap that numerous ones apparently had from inception and which I just dismissed as something else. They replaced lifters which didn't fix it so they replaced the whole assembly. 150 miles down the road with the new engine, it was doing the exact same thing. Took it to a specialty guy who upon putting a stethascope(sp) to it said it wasn't internal to the long block and just suggested I ride it for what would then be 24K more miles under warranty. Brought it back at 48K, the service writer raised the hood, listend, then motioned to the same tech as before to "pull it". I just grinned. Third times a charm.             

ReidP
1973 Mustang

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 2:43pm
Just ticked over 200k in my '93 Maxima a couple weeks ago, still runs like a champ! Just waiting another couple years to get either my Volvo S60R or Infinity G35..... haha

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Hey Rob,

How's the GT40 treating you? I wouldn't mind giving your boat a spin next year.

She's running like a champ. I felt bad that you didn't get to drive it at GL....just gives you more reason to come up next year I guess. I had told Jmurph he could drive it as well, and that also didn't happen.

Rob
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 7:36pm
nice too see people are showing our AMERICAN autos some love!.......reidp..thats awesome

nate- buy american. you do live here..keep our jobs and profits/taxes here with us.haha
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 8:08pm
Plymouth Grand Voyager; 3.8 V6 with towing package.Has pulled a Hobie Cat 18M all it's life, from Key West to South Padre Island Tx.
Long haul to Green Lake with '64 American Skier,2557 total miles. Average 15.4 mpg,drives greatand sleeps 2 in comfort..
Rolled her over to 245,000 on the way home with a CC in tow.Still uses no oil between changes. Castol 20/50 all her life.
Hope the stroker lives that long...........
                  boat dr
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 9:01pm
jbear, yes it's in the south, NC to be exact. But it spent the first part of its life in California.
Tim D
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 9:20pm
Glad to read this. We have a 96 explorer with 125k. We have been towing a malibu response and nautique 2001 with it for the last 5 years.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:30pm
ryan, i dont want to hijack this thread, bc this has been discussed here before. sorry

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 1:31pm
Ken I bought my first Explorer the first year they were introduced – 1991 sold it in 2000 with 185k miles and was still going strong. My wife’s bought a 1997 Explorer that we just gave to our daughter last year when we got a great deal on a 2005 Denali, I needed more truck to pull the ‘Fish’ @ 5,500#; but both Explorers were great – no problems just normal wear & tear maintenance. Hopefully we’ll get just as good of service and reliability from GMC as we did from Ford. May your good luck continue with your Mountaineer. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by GrandSlam GrandSlam wrote:

Ken I bought my first Explorer the first year they were introduced – 1991 sold it in 2000 with 185k miles and was still going strong.

Jerry, glad to hear you had better luck with your '91 Explorer than my dad did. By the time he got rid of it (in 2001 with 150k), it was having transmission issues, brake bias issues, tranny issues, and front end issues (again). It was also leaking a fair amount of coolant from the block or heads. Like Nate, I had better luck with my '93 Maxima (sold it this year with 250k).

Tim, your '86 4Runner looks to be in beautiful shape. Im hoping to have similarly good luck with my '07- I just rolled over 10k miles last week.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 2:16pm
That is good news. I just rolled over 70k on my 92 Ford PU with the 302. It is good news because my wifes 02 neon got a new trans. at 60k. I hope my truck will last for a while so I can replace that piece of crap neon.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 2:18pm
What kills me on almost all the Explorers is they all seem to rust out in the rear portion of the rocker panel right in front of the rear tires, without fail. Every single one in this area. That would drive me nuts if I were the owner of one that did that.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 3:32pm
Go figure, I do remember hearing of issues with the coolant leakage from the heads, but not on mine and no rust...maybe I am just lucky. My first experence with a "foreign manufacturer" is my current 2000 Solora, has 257k miles and runs as good as it did when new. Although I want a new car, I am going to see how far I can go with this one. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 2:42am
Ball Joints,Ball Joints,Ball Joints.Gotta love those Explorers,Moutaineers,F 150's ETC...I am truly glad they have still not gotten it correct along with the Chrysler Transmissions.Keeps the doors open at the shop....

And allowed me to buy this.

But Seriously.All vehicles have their own problems.Especially ones we use to tow things with.Glad to hear some of the good OLE' American stuff holds up from time to time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 12:39pm
Terry that's a killer toolbox, there's been some guys at my dad's shop that wanted to buy those, but he nixed the idea cuz it's just too big. Compensating for something Terry? hahaha

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 10:26pm
Never had any complaints....

I work for an Independent and if you want to do the work you gotta have the tools.Over the years it got a little bigger each time.I finally decided I was going to buy 1 box for good.Sad thing is it is pretty full.Good thing is this boss is not afraid to buy shop tools so I may never need to fill it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 1:05am
Terry; That is the coolest toolbox I ever seen....'course I would have no idea what all ya got in there. If it requires more than a screwdriver, pliers and a hammer (bigger one for hard/complicated jobs) then I can't do it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 12:47pm
I bought new a 96 exploder eddie bauer. I loved it but in 2004? at 80K it was DEAD. I washed it and kept it clean, in the winter I paid for the good car washes whenever it was dirty. It rusted, paint peeled, Tranny was effed, then once it was paid off, the whole power steering system died to the tune of $1800. I had no choice but to take it to the dealer I purchased it from and traded it for an 02 with 18k. A much better design but now at 86K it too has trans trouble, AC wont work and its starting to rust and paint peel, goes through tires quickly imo, and generally a piece of sh*t, like the other one.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:37pm
exactly matt, that's why I'm still thinkin Volvo, Infinity/Nissan....

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

exactly matt, that's why I'm still thinkin Volvo, Infinity/Nissan....

Careful, Nate. Volvo = Ford. Infiniti/Nissan is a good bet, as is Lexus/Toyota.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic