Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

river pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: river pics
    Posted: July-17-2007 at 6:41pm

How many of you ski/wakeboard on rivers? Lets see some pics of some of you guys ripping it on the river!!!!!

A friend of mine is a photographer and he came done on friday to take some pics of me riding the river, thought I would share!

B
1972 Marauder
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2007 at 10:01pm

These are on the Housatonic river in CT. My son's first time out in quite awhile. Sorry, no action shots but I can't take the blame.Somebody has to drive.   Farmer
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 5:10pm
This guy likes rivers too:
River Tuber
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 5:47pm
Never seen anyone ski or board on a river. Must be a few logs floating around. I'm not sure I'd take that chance.

Ken
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 6:05pm
Once you ski on the glass of the river, you will be hooked. We can find smooth water no matter what the wind direction is.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 6:37pm
Used to do rivers a long time ago when I lived in Houston.
As a rule, I would say river sking is better than lake.
84zz4ss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84zz4ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

These are on the Housatonic river in CT. My son's first time out in quite awhile. Sorry, no action shots but I can't take the blame.Somebody has to drive.   Farmer

Where in CT are you sking on the Housy? I grew up in New Milford. Looks like good times of my youth on Candlewood Lake.
Thanks

Scott
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 12:57am
84zz,

I was also wondering where on the Housy that pic was taken as well.
My family has a place on Candlewood in Sherman.

Gotta love any river skiing, butter smooth, always get a bit nervous when footin however, although it never really stopped me from going anyways!
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:03am
I love river skiing, especially before I moved to the Washington, DC area. I can still find some glass from time to time but it gets harder every year.

I grew up skiing on the Connecticut River between Hartford and Middletown. Spent a lot of time hanging out at the island around the Cromwell/Rocky Hill line. I used to be in the restaurant business, so I would go out on a Monday or Tuesday and it seemed like I owned the river. Good times.

Damn this current career path and the requirement to work normal business hours! It really cuts into ski time.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 12:33pm
I am a member of a small boat club, we have about 30 members and only about 3 use the river about 4 times a year. I have my boat in the river at least twice a week and the river is ours. The club is over 50 years old and they use to have boat races and a ski jump it was the hopping place in the 60s! We run up river one mile, and yes you have to watch for logs but it is not bad at all and you get use to it and you lear the river quick and know where the deep spots are and the shallow and then you are fine. You will not find smother water than this, any day any time!

I love our river!

This is the boat club the members own it and we have our own dam and about 19 acres of land and an island to party on! We are having our first big boat club/red neck yacht club party on the river Friday. (all CCs welcome)

B
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:48pm
We compete in a barefoot endurance race on the Muskegon river in Mi. After the race we have the best footing water in the world. If it is windy, go down the river, around the bend, glass.
BTW, last years race, top three spots were Barefoot Nuatiques.
I'll download (have my son download) some pics or video.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 7:48pm
Still looking for the the good river pics, but here's one

the river is were it is at! mainly 'cause there ain't no good lakes around, but it doesn't take too many boats on a lake to make it un-ski-able. I would choose a river over a lake on most days, hands down, not to say there aren't some good lakes around...

isn't there a song that goes something like..."I can ski for miles and miles and miles and miles... oh yea" maybe not exactly

speaking of skiing for miles, this next Friday (7/27) will be the 10th annual Ride the Wake for Kids Sake, a charity event for the Children's Hospital of Central Illinois started by a good ski buddy of mine. It started off as a 2 day ski event going from Chicago to St Louis via the Illinois and Missisppi Rivers. It is now scaled back to a one day, St Louis to Peoria event - 3 boats 14+ skiers, hundreds and hundreds of combined miles. I am trying to find the pics with the Sears tower in the background on day one of the inagural event and us skiing in front of the St. Louis Arch the second day.

ski event info
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2007 at 1:17am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Ya Larry as a rule I agree. Rivers and Bayous too (eh, Doc?). The famous Chocolate Bayou of J_I_H lore is like a river too. Like it's already been said, you can find glass somewhere no matter what. I think Robleinen skis on the river I grew up on too--St. Joseph in N. Indiana.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 12:29am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

I think Robleinen skis on the river I grew up on too--St. Joseph in N. Indiana.

Wow dude, great memory. Seems like people don't like to ski on the rivers. When we invite friends out, someone always says "you swim in the river?" The St Joe river where we ski tests cleaner than Lake Michigan year after year, plus you can always find clear water in the 17 miles between the damns. We had 81Nautique out a few weeks back, and he loved it.

Rob
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 1:58am
Well, most rivers aren't as wide as the St. Joe is where you and I skied. And, it's a lot cleaner now than it was 30 years ago. Every year I go back I think it's clearer than before. I'm still looking forward to getting a pull behind that beauty of yours. We'll be up next summer.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 10:43pm

I'm still looking forward to getting a pull behind that beauty of yours. We'll be up next summer.

The invitations always open. Can't wait.

Rob
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 10:57pm
Nothing wrong with rivers we used to ski in Swan Creek it leads right out into Lake Erie.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:07pm

Quinner,84zz
    Those pictures are below Stevenson Dam from Oxford to Derby. It's official name is Lake Housatonic but we grew up calling it "the river".     Farmer
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:14pm
I concur that a winding river has it over a lake, unless it's a lake with lots of fingers, then it's somewhat apples to apples. I grew up skiing on a narrow winding river and like previously said, it could be blowing 20 but around the next curve was still a sheet of glass. But I couldn't see my feet in 12" of water. We also skied on a tributary creek to the river, where it was always glass, but the run was like a slalom course it was so curvy.
And often you couldn't turn around but had to drop, and then head back the other direction as it was so narrow. For us, this was also in the day of cutoffs over tighty-whities, and when we'd leave this creek, tighties would normally have a tan film on them,.....from the water. This was on the Tar River and Tranters creek between Washington and Greenville, NC, and also home of women's ski champ and CC team member Kristie Overton, and her dad's creation, Overton's, FWIW. Also the home of Grady White and Fountain Powerboats, where in the middle of EBF it's a daily occurance to hear a Fountain test-boat screaming down the Pamlico River at 100+mph.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:10am
that's too many acronyms for me. I'm not that smart. However, I'm not surprised that the "Tar River" might stain someone's tighties!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 4:21pm
I was out on the local river last Wed night when the local marina was out testing a Fountain powerboat. That thing was pretty mean looking with the enclosed cockpit. I can't believe they were able to get that thing in/out of the water at the ramp.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 6:33pm

yeap, that's the Sear's Tower in the background
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Ya Larry as a rule I agree. Rivers and Bayous too (eh, Doc?). The famous Chocolate Bayou of J_I_H lore is like a river too. Like it's already been said, you can find glass somewhere no matter what. I think Robleinen skis on the river I grew up on too--St. Joseph in N. Indiana.

Dude,

Since you are a houstonion or there-aboutser the river of my picture above is also a local one of historical J_I_H mention, the San Bernard. That was always our weekend river. Always liked skiing that. Weeknites we would head out to the San Jacinto, to the "Good Times" marina just off of 90 and ski between Lake houston and the bay. San Jacinto is a bit of a cess pool and we also stayed away on weekends because all the jet boat idiots came out...I think their goal was to see how many people they could run over and kill in one summer.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 9:47pm
I've been in the san jac only once...I thought the same. However, out in clear creek last night and there was so much trash from all the rain we've been getting it had to be unsafe.

Still never been to the San Bernard. The ramp where 521 crosses it is exactly 60 minutes from my house. I've got to get down there sometime.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 3:27pm
You guys in Houston need to do the Trinity in Huntsville, but like has been said, alot of rain has all the rivers a little screwed up.
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 5:39pm
I ski the Lehigh and Delaware rivers in PA. They're shallow, so it can be a little tricky until you know the rocks (hopefully not personally!) and after a storm. One of my buddies is a semi-pro bass fisherman, so we did the whole sonar bit.

Maybe a hassle at first, but nothing smoother.
1988SkiNautique2001
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 5:40pm
BTW - any experience on the 3-rivers in Pittsburgh?
1988SkiNautique2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:11pm
tnplicky, is that the Roosevelt St. bridge you just went under? That's a pretty cool picture, when was it taken and did you need any kind of permit to ski there?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:55pm
TNP, that is a great picture, skied the north branch at the split by the Lake Street bridge a bunch of times many years ago and the south branch down where your shot is taken a few times as well.
Hollywood I don't believe a permit is required there are just a lot of no wake areas nowadays.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 10:54pm
just tell them you have a CC, at barefoot speed you wont produce much of a wake anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic