Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Freeport owner, where’s the others?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rutancanard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rutancanard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Freeport owner, where’s the others?
    Posted: August-18-2004 at 11:08am
Proud new owner of a '71 Freeport. I would like to have a Mustang like my grandfather had but married with children and need a smoother riding boat.   Wife also has Fibromyalgia and needs a smooth ride or it's me and the kids only!

Why don't I see more Freeports? Inever new CC made a deep-vee. I'm not new to boating but this is my first power boat. I am confident I got a great deal because it is very sound, much less than usual problems with '71 vintage. Will $2,000.00 make you jealous?

Where can I get info on the transmision care feeding, etc? I'm good with fiberglass, building an airplane, and small block Ford, love the Mustangs, car that is.

Any input would be good and appreciated.
'71 Freeport
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2004 at 12:53pm
Congratulatins! Is it 18' or 20'? Does it have the Holman-Moody Ford 351?

You can start by checking out the Reference Section. There you won't find the '71 Freeport but you will find a '72 within the '72 Correct Craft Brochure.

You're right there are no other Freeports listed in the Diaries section but there are a few Southwinds - I think it's the same hull also offered in both the 18' and 20'.

Lastly, please post pictures of your boat to the Diaries Section - start the Freeport trend!

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rutancanard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2004 at 3:38am
Keith,
I think we all should give you a hearty thanks for your time and effort in maintaining this site. I will get some photos up. Have noticed a few things about the boat that I hope some others may be able to answer once other see my baby. Can I start the engine out ot the water? Obviously not more than a minute. I know engines and hot spots but can the impellors in the water pumps run dry? I have found a lot of information on your site. Thank You
'71 Freeport
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2004 at 11:46am
Rutancanard,
You can start your engine on the trailer but only if you use supply the engine with adequate water.

Much like 'earmuffs' for outboards, there are several products on the market for inboards. In the Flush Kit Section of SKIDIM.com there is the Flush Pro and Fake-A-Lake (both under $50).

Alternatively, you could disconnect the raw water intake hose where is goes into your transmission cooling unit and creatively attach your garden house (substituting the lake water source with your garden house).

Regardless of how you hook up your garden hose (either with one of the products above or with your own system), turn the water on high - which will cause it to squirt everywhere as it has no place to go. Once the engine is running, the impeller will suck the water through the system. Watch the exhaust pipes in the stern - it will take a few seconds but you should start to see water coming out of the pipes - this tells you water is getting through the system. If after 45 seconds you don't see water coming from the exhaust pipes, stop the engine and figure out why.

Word of Caution: Starting your engine on the trailer will be very loud. Your neighbors won't like it very much. Also, never put your boat in gear while running it out of water. The drive shaft is lubricated by water, turning it out of water could cause serious damage.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Dave View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2005 at 1:20am
I have come across a model called a Swinger. Its a '70, and has a Chrysler 318. It looks like a nice boat but just needs good cleaning. I am thinking seriously of buying it. Its the same hull as the Freeport/Southwind. It is the 17' 4" version.

Question....how do these boats handle, and what kind of hole shot do they have? Any comments you have about the handling, speed, manuverability, etc, would be appreciated.

Dave
Paul View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 4:55am
I wish I could tell you. I have the wrong prop on it now and am still trying to decide what I do need. It takes the waves beautifully. Very smooth. Mine slows a lot in the corners but I think this is because of have to much pitch on the prop and the engine never seems to get up to speed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rutancanard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2006 at 5:30pm
Dave,

I know its been a while but..
It doesn't corner like a Mustang. I would say it is one of hte worst turning Correct Crafts made. But if you have rough water to go thru it acts like a 26 - 30 ft, very smooth. If you load it up with people and stuff the wake boarders love it and I've even had some PWC jumping the wake. I live on a larger lake and sometimes it gets rough but there are also some shallow spots and this thing draws about 30" sitting still!
'71 Freeport
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2006 at 9:58pm
So, does rutancanard fly a Rutan canard? (Long EZ right)? Piper Warrior went down in the frigid Hudson river today. Student CFI combo. Both made it. Sorry to hi-jack the thread, I guess I should be squawkin 7500.
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic