NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12" to 13" prop?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DougsdevilCC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougsdevilCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" to 13" prop?
    Posted: July-09-2007 at 7:10pm
I have a 64 Am skier w/ small block Ford.
Can I replace a 12" prop w/ 13"?
It appears that I would have clearance with bottom of boat, but does that make it to close?
CCcruiser
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 7:42pm
I believe the general rule of thumb is to maintain clearance of at least 10% of the prop's diameter between the prop and the hull.   That means you would need an inch or so of clearance.

I dont believe you can run a 13" prop on your hull without going to the longer shaft.
DougsdevilCC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougsdevilCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 12:07am
makes good sense
thanks
doug
CCcruiser
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 3:48pm
Doug...I have a 13X13 on my 72 mustang...I switched from a 12X14....and yes the clearance will be the determining factor. In my case...I have more than an inch and it has not been a problem.
Performance really is pretty close...little better hole shot and bite in the turns.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 4:13pm
Well I should say "my wifes mustang"... she now has claimed it hers!

A 12X14 and a 13X13 will turn approx. the same rpms. You can put a 13 on and measure...I use something (Like a piece of wood)that is an inch or larger and pass it through beween the hull and prop to determine clearance.

As far as a longer shaft...I don't think my shaft is any longer now than it was a few years ago! Same one that has always been there...I guess.One things for sure... As soon as I put the thirteen incher to work , my wife did notice a difference in performance
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic