NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 casting numbers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 casting numbers
    Posted: July-01-2007 at 10:36pm
I'm trying to run down just what I have. I've looked at numerous sites that deal with chevy BB's and found conflicting reports there...even those that agree don't tell me much. Looks like I need to check with a good PCM guy(you guys!) who knows CC history. most of what I can find says 2 or 4 bolt and a year range...I have rect exhaust ports, but I won't be removing the valve covers till it gets cold so no head numbers yet, but I do have a 4 bolt main

port side above the bell housing: 14015445

starboard side behind the oil pres sending unit:
K 13
Hi Perf
PA 68

Thanx
Greg
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 3:46am
Are you looking for motor specs ? Are the Intake ports oval or square ?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 10:22am
history mostly...for example, some v-dub cases were coveted-others were paperweights because of the alloy mix or factory stud inserts, etc

I guess I'm asking if some chevy big blocks are better than others
1988 BFN-sold

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 10:09pm
If it is in a SN you will find a motor tag on it.This will tell you if it is a 330HP or a 425HP.The 425HP is a little of a mystery as no one I know can tell me if it is reverse rotation like the others or if it was a forward unlike all the others.The 425HP will also have square ports on the intake runners vs. the oval or round ones on a 330HP motor.The 330HP is not the most common motor in a SN to begin with as most were in the Barefoot's.The 425 is just down right RARE in ANY of them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 10:47pm
I don't think it's a 425, but it is in an '88 barefoot(bfn)...or was till I yanked it to get the tranny fixed?!!?

I don't know the CC history like some of these guys on here...it does have a PCM engine tag but it doesn't state horsepower; I sent an e-mail to pcm recently, but it's a holiday

I found the transmission guy on here...soon the BB chevy guy will chime in; I used to know the parts guy at the local CC dealer and he was over the top, but they changed hands last year and he's nowhere to be found...the new guy's face went blank when I asked for pcm tune-up parts-"we can get them in a week or two" finally came out

I was told it was a 'green block'?

won't know about the ports till it gets cold; can't find the intake casting # anywhere...in a book I mean(333841)
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic