Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tranny grind in foward idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tranny grind in foward idle
    Posted: May-28-2007 at 10:14pm
eric, today I started hearing a grinding noise in the tranny when i put it into foward idle. the noise stops when i accelerate the slightest amount. also the motor sounds rough when put into gear. Is this a tranny problem or a engine idle adjustment problem/
I have a 83 nautique 351/ w velvet drive 1:1
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 11:56pm
your damper plate is weak and or your idle is to low most likely you just need to increase the idle speed a bit
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 6:49am
could'nt of said it better, maybe besides putting in a new damper, tune the engine and time it, dont forget to replace the front seal also
"the things you own will start to own you"
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 7:34am
my engine has always ran great. this just started yesterday, I am going back to the river today and adjuts the idle up first to see if it goes away. I really dont want to pull the tranny. ill let you know the outcome later.
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 7:32am
well I went out and increased the engine idle and the noise went away! I had to increase the fuel mixture screws to componsate and get a good throttle response. the only thing i noticed is that now in forward idle there is a little vibration from the engine and the idle speed {boat movement} increased a little.
the only other thing is now i have to pump the throttle to get the engine to start- mabye a more incresse of fuel mixture will help this. I dont know alot about engine/fuel adjustments.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 7:46am
dont hide the problem by bumping up the idle,
the damper is bad and it will cause pre-mature failure to the trans, if your under 25 you know that word well, seriously though, it will rattle the clutch teeth open.
dont trip over a dollar to pick up a nickel
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic