NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amount of Foam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jeffyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amount of Foam
    Posted: May-25-2007 at 9:52pm
Hey guys, I was just wondering how many cubic feet of foam I need for the hull? The boat is a 1968 CC Mustang. Thanks
Hamlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 2:19am
I never did like math questions...
Good fuel proof foams weigh about 4 lbs/cu.ft. Water weighs about 63 lbs/cu.ft., therefore for each cubic foot of foam you will get about 59 pounds of buoyancy. If you want to be on the safe side, you could just take the entire weight of the boat and add that much foam but that would be overkill because things like the fiberglass, wood, carpet, upholstery, etc. are not very dense so they don't need to be floated very much if at all.

The reference section says the Mustang weighs 1600 lbs. If we assume that the weight of the boat is half fiberglass and half steel, we can use the specific gravity of 1.8 for the fiberglass and a specific gravity of 7.8 for the engine and other metals. 800 lbs of fiberglass at a s.g. of 1.8 give us about 355 lbs that we will need to float. 800 pounds of metal at a s.g. of 7.8 gives us about 697 pounds that we need to float, for a total of 1052 pounds. 1052/59 = 17.8 cu.ft of foam required.

Substitute actual weights and foam density for a more accurate result. Don't forget to add the in-water weight of the passengers cause they'll hopefully still be in the boat helping you paddle to shore.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 8:12am
how about $600.00 worth
"the things you own will start to own you"
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 8:42pm
American Composites... I think...two 5 gal buckets (one was foam, the other catalyst) was about $275 to $300. It was 2 lb density and I had some left over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic