Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whining Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whining Transmission
    Posted: May-20-2007 at 10:52pm
I have a 89 Ski Nautique & it has a real bad "whining" noise in the transmission. It only does it in forward gear. It is loud up to about 1/2 throttle & then gets better, but still makes the noise. Up to 1/2 throttle it is very distracting. Any ideas whet the problem may be? Thanks
------- They are only original once! ------
Ski Texas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:52pm
same boat same year same problem
3/4 of the Planet is water
Spend 3/4 of you time on the water
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 12:07am
Do you need a little cheese with that whine,ha ha.
Where is Eric when you need him, the tranny doctor will be seeing patients tommorrow call for an app............boat dr
Calling Dr. Eric,answer your beeper...........
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:29am
Was the wife on the boat? anyways if your sure it wasnt the wife we need to know exactly what trans you have, PCM? or Borg Warner?
Eric

Boat doc, went to the islands up to the redneck hilton (campground)got back late sunday, first time ive been relaxed in a while
"the things you own will start to own you"
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:40am
I have an '89 and it doesn't seem to be any worse though the throttle, same noise no matter what RPM. There is a noticable whine compare to my uncle's '84 1:1 trans, but from what I've read it is pretty common with the early years for the 1.23:1 transmission.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:59am
your up early, they do have some early planeteries that whine, i have ran into this in the past with the 1.23's, your uncles 84 is probably a Borg Warner.
PCM's in forward will spin planetary gears causing the whining sound, I do have a ton of those planets from surplus trannies with low hours on them, you dont even want to go through PCM for that planet......it would be cheaper to buy a new trans.
The Borg Warners in forward do not spin plants because they are locked in the forward drum and spin with the forward drum, when you put them in reverse though you will here the planets creating the whine, the planet gears normally will turn 4 to 5 times engine speed and they are helical cut gears (at a angle)
the pcm's are repairable simply by swapping the planet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 12:46pm
Eric, my tranny is a PCM. The serial is 040 7672F. Can this be quieted down? Could you please e-mail me your phone #, I would like to talk to you about this. My e-mail is ssweber1@iowatelecom.net Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 2:10pm
This sounds like a problem thats typical on the very early 1.23 transmissions. My uncle had the fix performed on his '90 when it was a year or 2 old. My boat also has the kit installed to quiet it down. You can see in this pic- its the 10" rubber hose sticking out of the top:

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 2:47pm
Tim, the PCM fix is to give the main valve body more volume to cure a very weird, loud buzzing/chattering noise caused soley by trans fluid under pressure in the valve body. Sounds like these guys are just talking about gear whine. The buzzing/chattering noise that the hose extension fixes sounds like an old rusty washtub on spin cycle, only at idle speed or idle out of gear. Once you power up, it's gone.

Edit- maybe it does cure the gear whine noise too, but I didn't notice any difference there. The idle chatter noise would just blow your mind that it could be caused by fluid.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Tim, the PCM fix is to give the main valve body more volume to cure a very weird, loud buzzing/chattering noise caused soley by trans fluid under pressure in the valve body. Sounds like these guys are just talking about gear whine. The buzzing/chattering noise that the hose extension fixes sounds like an old rusty washtub on spin cycle, only at idle speed or idle out of gear. Once you power up, it's gone.

Gotcha- I forgot that you were the one who installed the kit. I didnt realize the noise was only at idle. Makes sense on the theory behind it- I figured it had something to do with decreased pressure with increased volume since the fix appears to consist solely of a 10" terminated hose!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 3:13pm
the hose acts like an accuumulator, in easier terms a hydraulic shock absorber, cheesy ass fix but it works, that cures the hydralic "buzzing" noise and the whine is i believe from the reverse planet, while running in nuetral or forward there is no load on the planetary gears and will whine,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2007 at 10:23pm
TRBeng, I got the hose from my dealer. Does it install where the sending unit is? What do you do with the sending unit?
mjg100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjg100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 11:55am
Eric, I have a 1984 SN 2001 with Velvet Drive Borg Warner. After pulling a boarder when I slow down to make a left handed 180 I hear a whine. The boat has done this for years. Is this a problem?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 7:50pm
I installed the hose & can not tell any difference. How many years did they use these tranny's? What did they do to the newer ones to get them quieted down?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 7:01am
mjg, the trans will pull air on turns momentarily at the suction screen it is common for that noise to appear,

89, they started using them in 89, they have redesigned the valve to eliminate the noise, there are on thier 3rd designed valve. I never hear any complaints with the later transmissions. if it is a planet noise chances are they also made changes to the planets to quiet them.   89 you are probably experiencing a planetary noise not a valve noise. here is my number, i have late style valves and plants. 877-369-6693
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 10:24am
Originally posted by 89Nautique2001 89Nautique2001 wrote:

TRBeng, I got the hose from my dealer. Does it install where the sending unit is? What do you do with the sending unit?

89, listen to Eric- hes the expert. I have the fix installed on my boat, but M3Fan was the one who put it on.

mjg, I think the sound youre hearing is the tracking fins. They seem to whistle as you make a turn, especially when slowing down. Its the shark-fin shape that does it, as the newer ('91+) squared off fins dont make any noise.
mjg100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjg100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 5:50pm
Thank you Eric.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 7:04pm
now i see the difference in the latest pcm 1.23 valve, they are using a larger regulator spring and counter boring the case larger to accept the spring, this should eliminate the buzzing noise completely.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic