NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice on my Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice on my Trailer
    Posted: May-19-2007 at 10:16pm
My '93 Sport trailer is really starting to piss me off. I have had continued problems with this thing since I bought the boat. I have put more money into my trailer than I have in the boat since my purchase (no kidding). My latest problem is with the one wheel heating up. I had removed and repacked the bearings twice. Today I replaced the races and bearings (inner and outer) on the side that is getting hot. I took it for a ride and it heated up again. So, with new bearings and everything rolling smoothly, I started to think it was maybe the brakes were hanging up. I adjusted the brakes out so they were dragging less when I spun the wheel while it was on the jack. When I took it out for another spin it heated up again. So I started poking around with the brakes. I jacked up the side that gets hot and had a friend spin the wheel while I used the emergency lever to pump the brakes. They didn't work. I replaced a leaking wheel cylinder on the other wheel last week. So, I thought maybe I didn't bleed them good enough, which I didn't . after bleeding them again they seemed to be working fine, and the side that stays cool drags more than the side that gets hot. so why the hell is this wheel still getting hot?

I am at the end of my rope with this thing. what are my options for replacing this trailer. I am starting to think I should just scrap this thing after putting over $900 into it (and it still looks like crap!). Someone posted a '99 Super Sport trailer for sale on ebay here a few weeks ago, the guy was in Columbus, OH and wanted $750 OBO for a nice looking trailer. I could kick myself now for not jumping on that!

what year trailer would work for my boat? does anyone know where I could pick one up???
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I jacked up the side that gets hot and had a friend spin the wheel while I used the emergency lever to pump the brakes.

Someone posted a '99 Super Sport trailer for sale on ebay here a few weeks ago, the guy was in Columbus, OH and wanted $750 OBO for a nice looking trailer. I could kick myself now for not jumping on that!

I'm confused. Most trailer have surge brakes. Pulling the emergency brake wouldn't do anything.

The Super Sport trailer would work, but it's not optimal. The axle on the V-Drive trailer is farther back. For you boat, you should have a trailer with the axle under the engine for best performance.

Drum brakes or disk? Surge, or electric?
You did pack the bearing, driving grease through from the larger side out the smaller side, correct? Any sign on the drum, or on the brake pad indicating excessive wear so as to indicate that the brake is rubbing?

Is the wheel bent? If you switch the wheels and the other side gets hot, then you will know it's the wheel, but I doubt that would be the issue.

Just some thoughts. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2007 at 10:56pm
The trailer has surge brakes. I am talking about the lever on the top of the surge brake that is attached to a wire that attaches to the tow vehicle. I used this to "pump" the brakes instead of pushing on the tongue, which I started out doing...

it has drum brakes. and I packed the brand new bearings very well in marine grease. forcing the grease from the larger side out the smaller side. The brake pads are new and nothing indicates that they are rubbing. actually, the side that stays cool seems to rub more than the side that gets hot. I was told that they should rub a little bit...

Are you talking about the actual wheel? the thing the tire is mounted too? I would think that they would have noticed if it was bent when I had the tires installed. It may be worth a try to swap the wheels since I'm running out of ideas...

what do you think?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 12:15am
Yes, I was talking about the wheel with the tire, but in reality, that seems unlikely.

You are correct, when you adjust a drum brake, the shoes should lightly drag the drum.

What is getting hot? The drum, the bearings, both?

When you rotate the wheel, is the drag from the shoe consistent, or does it vary as the drum rotates?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 12:50am
the whole hub/drum is getting hot. it's hard to determine what is getting hot the bakes or the bearings since the whole thing is hot. I think it has to be the brakes. I have repacked the bearing twice and then replaced them with new bearings and races today, and they seem to roll fine.

the drag is not consistent and does vary as it rotates. when I turn the wheel, it seems to drag in one area. Could this be the problem?

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 10:01am
When I used to test brakes on cars to isolate a problem , I would use a pair of vice grips on the hose to clamp off the fluid on one wheel . the only problem with this is that it is possible that you may brake down the inside of the hose as to where a piece of rubber could cause a flap inside to create a blockage . But this is very unlikely .

I had a friend that his brakes would heat up on his car . He replaced everything . The last thing was the hose and that stopped the overheating. The inside of the hose was bad .

Loosen your brakes , vicegrip hose (snug not tight ). take for aride . Every block or so check hub and drum for heat .

Does your trailer have a lock on it to stop the actuation of the brakes fo backing purposes ? If so then this should also stop your brakes from working in the same way the vice grips would .

You could change hoses from one side to the other . To see if the problm switches sides . Or replace hose on that side .

Did you tighten bearing to tight , or to loose ?

Sorry for the long post , but I hope this helps .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

the drag is not consistent and does vary as it rotates. when I turn the wheel, it seems to drag in one area. Could this be the problem?

Unfortunately, I'm not there to feel it. If it is dragging significantly harder in spots, it could be a symptom that the drum surface is out of round, or if severe enough a symptom that the whole drum is warped.

As Pat suggested, if you can deactivate the brakes, and it is still getting hot, then it would indicated you have an issue in the bearing assembly. If it does not get hot, it would indicated you have an issue in the brake assembly. BKH
Livin' the Dream

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:34am
Plan B, rubber hoses,3, one on port one on starboard and one that goes to the axle. If they are delaminated inside it will allow pressure to the slave cyls. to apply the brakes but not allow the shoes to release.
If you know you are in too deep, money wise ,sell the trailer w/ out doing anything else and buy someone elses problem, HELLO.
Or replace that antique setup with a dics brake set up.Several places on the inter net for this.
Warped drums,dragging in one spot will not cause the heat issue you describe.
General rule of thumb to do with heat issues .......
After a 50 mile pull: Your tire should be warmer than the hub/drum assy.
If the bearing assy are over torqured they will generate a lot of heat,tighten till you fell resistance of the rolling force and back off one flat.    boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 12:13pm
It drags a little bit but not anymore than the other side which stays cool. I did notice that the drum appeared to have a slight "wobble" to it when it was turned but nothing too significant.

Could I swap the hub/drum from one side to the other? if the problem follows the hub then we know it is the hub. or are they side specific? if you pull the hub assembly off of the spindle should you replace the rear seal?

I could clamp the rubber hose where it connects to the "Y" to go to both sides. But since the brakes weren't working originally due to air in the lines, I don't think this would reveal anything new.

I really don't think it is in the bearings. I took the trailer to a trailer shop when i first picked it up in September. they put in a new set of bearings on both sides. they never put hub caps on the hubs and I wiped all the grease off of the exposed nut and then put it in the water. like a dummy. then it sat all winter. when I took it out this tear I noticed the wheel heating up. I took it apart cleaned out the bearings with kerosene and a tooth brush real good. then rinsed them well in the sink with water. and blew them dry with the air compressor. checked them out and insured everything was rolling well and they were as clean as I could get them, besides a little corrosion or burnt grease on them they seemed fine. I repacked them with Valvoline industrial and automotive grease which I found at the auto parts store (said it had a high water resistence...) and reinstalled them with a new rear seal.
They heated up again, so I took them apart again and found that the rear seal had seemed to pop off some how (I found this puzzling since I know I had it all the way on). anyway, cleaned them and repacked them again.... took it out and they heated up again.
Yesterday, I got up early and went to Akron bearing with the old Timken bearings and the hub in hand. they matched them up with some NTN and Koyo bearings and races. I went ahead and got two sets ($113.00). I picked up some marine grease from the local marina and went home and sent the good part of the day installing races and bearings. I was very careful installing the races and made sure they were seated properly (although this is the first time I have ever done this). when I put it back together everything seemed to roll real smooth, even smoother than the other side.

I'm not sure what to try next. I was thinking about replacing the brake wheel cylinder, since I replaced the other side last week. I'm thinking maybe it is hanging up. It seems like I am just grabbing at straws at this point.

Sorry for the rambling...

Thanks for the help
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:02pm
Doc,

I do not have rubber hoses going to the wheel cylinders. that part is steel. the parts that are rubber are before the "Y" and in the front before it goes into the frame.

I don't have the nuts too tight. I tightened them as you described.

I had it up on jacks and the bakes seem to release on both sides.

So, are you saying I should just keep this trailer? It still needs so much cosmetic work.

Maybe I should look at the disk brake set up. what the hell, through a couple hundred more at this thing.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:03pm
Does anyone know if the rubber hoses can purchased at an auto parts store, or do you have to get them through a dealer?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:10pm
Randy , The thing with the hose obviously wont be the problem because one hose works both sides . Correct ? You should be able to switch hubs and drums to either side. You can also change brake cykinders to both sides . But I wouldgo ahead and change the cylinder on the side that is old . It would make sense that if one went bad that the other will soon .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:10pm
Could possibly be a hitch height issue. If the hitch is too low the brakes could be just slightly activated by gravity as you drive. The side furthest from the "T" in the brake line at the axle would be affected less by this slight activation, which could be the cool side. It's a longshot, but I'm just throwing it out there.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:22pm
Pat- that makes perfect sense, in my case I dont think it could be the hoses since the hoses, in my case, would affect both sides.

I know when I bought the cylinder it was specific to side, so I think you may have that wrong here pat. I know they had ones for the left side and ones for the right side. I don't think they will fit if I change them. but I may replace it, since it was only $22 and pretty easy to do.

M3- my trailer looks pretty level when on the trailer. but that is something to consider, since the wheel heating up is the wheel closest to the "T" in the brake line.
A friend of mine thought that there should possibly be a brake line coil on the side that is closer to the "T" to make the brake lines equal in length. Does anyone know of a trailer with a coil on one side to compensate for the difference in brake line length??

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:49pm
Yes sometimes they are specific to side . I didnt relize that on this model. for 22 bucks its worth a shot .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 2:54pm
I think I may swap the hubs and see what happens...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 3:21pm
P/Allen, most wheel cyl. are not the same , r & l have the bleeder port in different locations.
Yours may be different, have ran into that monster on both disc and drum setup.It will fit but the bleeder is not at the top.
As far as the rubber hose there is a lot of difference between the pressure of actuating the M/cyl. by hand and the surge system working it,
Go for a ridestop a few times ,pull to a safe spot and jack up the wheel. Try to turn the one that is hot,then try the one that is cool,is there any difference?????????
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 7:32pm
Doc, I just did what you said, and I think I found the problem. I have concluded that it is the brake closest to the main brake that is hanging up. I adjusted it out a little more and am going to test it again. I think I am going to go ahead and replace this cylinder anyway. I seen a little brake fluid on the inside of the wheel and I don't know if it is left over from bleeding the brakes or if this cylinder is leaking too, but I figure if I replace it everything in the brake system will be new. I am going to go ahead and install the new set of bearings and races on the other side as well. I'll keep the old bearings for backup. I don't have marine grease in the other side anyway and I want everything to be as good as possible, I don't want any surprises on the side of the road this summer...

I put a level on the trailer tongue and it is right on level when on the truck.

I found another problem while I was working on the brakes... It looks like the leaf springs are shuffling and one of the clamps that holds them straight has slipped off. I took some pics and will post them later under a new topic.

Thanks for all the help.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 3:12pm
Two things can cause the wheel/hub/brake assembly to over heat:

1. Bad or improperly installed/lubricated bearings.
2. Dragging brake shoes.

Take number two out of the equation by draining fluid and disconnecting the fluid lines at the wheel cylinders. Ensure the shoes are not dragging on the drum and test drive. If no heating issue, then you know to concentrate on the brakes.

Brakes: I would do the following:

1. Remove rubber line and inspect internal condition. Replace if necessary.
1a. Using compressed air, ensure all fluid lines are unobstructed. Go ahead and clean the lines with (denatured) alcohol.
2. REPLACE master cylinder and any other worn parts in the actuator while you have it apart (like the shock absorber).
3. Replace the entire brake assembly with a new bolt-on assembly. Ensure the brake assembly is of the "free-backing" design (you need a right and left). Brake assemblies are available for about $50.00 per side. IMHO, it is simply not worth the time a trouble to rebuild the brakes when the entire assembly can be purchased so economically. Of cours you have to remove the hubs to replace the brake assembly.

What I have noticed in all the posts above is that you never have paid attention to the master cylinder. Also, the emergency brake lever is a lock-on device. In other words, once activated (via the trailer coming off the hitch) it does not automatically reset, but rather keeps the brakes applied. So, you should NOT use this lever to "pump" the brakes, but rather use a removable hitch as a pumping handle.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 3:21pm
David , i agree with all the above statements but the last part:
In other words, once activated (via the trailer coming off the hitch) it does not automatically reset, but rather keeps the brakes applied. So, you should NOT use this lever to "pump" the brakes, but rather use a removable hitch as a pumping handle.

There is a cable that actuates the lever that pulls the arm that applies force to the master cyl,this cable sometimes runs thru ah eye that prevents the gas cly. from returning the hitch to the "unlocked " posistion.
If the hitch comes off the ball the brakes will not apply, the cable does that..................boat dr
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 3:28pm
Yes, the cable is there to apply the brakes. if he coupler comes off the hitch. I indeed may be wrong about it not resetting, but I seem to remember this being true in the event the trailer breaks totally free from the vehicle.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 4:40pm
Best thing you can do with the surge brakes is take them off and throw them away. Everybody here has had them and eventually gave up. Buy yourself some electric brakes that actually work when you need them to and be done with it.

Tim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:30pm
David,

The whole master cylinder/surge brake assembly is   brand new. actually, once I replace this cylinder on the side that is getting hot the whole brake system will be new.

I think I may try disconnecting the brakes and go for a ride just to confirm my theory of the brakes dragging and to rule out the bearings.

I have the cylinder and am going to replace it now. I'll let you know what I find.

I think behindtheprop may be right. If I had to do this over again, I would probably go electric. But, as I said, everything is new now.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 12:18am
well, I put the new cylinder in. And the damn thing is still getting hot. I know it is the brake dragging. It was turning freely before I left for the test ride, when I got back and jacked it up, it was dragging and I couldn't seem to adjust it enough to get it to stop dragging.

I am going to take the hub off again and take a closer look at the brakes. something is hanging up

I am getting sick of pulling these wheels off and on.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 12:38am
How much does that rubber hose cost?Reson sometimes does not apply to some mechanical problems,Do you have steel line from the M/Cyl.to the rear then the hose, the hose to a tee then the curley Que ti each wheel cly.
   boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 1:08am
Doc,

only two rubber hoses. one in the front, right after the line coming from the master cylinder connecting to the line running through the frame. The other is located where the line exits the frame and connects to the "T".

I have thought about the rubber hoses being the problem, but it seems that if there were a problem with one of the rubber hoses it would affect both brakes.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 9:04am
To make sure I understand:

You replaced the master cylinder (in addition to the wheel cylinders)? You replaced the brake shoes? You replaced these items on BOTH sides.

Ok, my next theory is that the side that is dragging is working and you have a fluid restrictin somewhere. The side that does not get hot is not working at all, or is adjusted to loose to get hot.

I vote against electric brakes as they will tend to corrode and fail from repeated submersion in water (more so in salt water obviously). There is a reason 99% of boat trailers have surge brakes. When setup properly and maintained (i.e changing fluid yearly) surge brakes can and do work well.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 12:52pm
The PO had a wheel fall off the trailer at one point on the left side (side that stays cool. when this happened it bent the actuator so it had to be replaced when I got it. the whole actuator/master cylinder was replaced. The PO replaced the brake assembly on the side the wheel fell off of but never hooked the brakes back up. when I took it to the trailer shop when I first got it, they replaced all of the lines, master cylinder and hooked everything back up. I don't think the shoes were replaced since they were not worn too bad.

I am going to tear it apart again tonight when I get home and look for anything hanging up.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 12:09am
I took the wheel off again. I messed with it for about 3 hours. I cant see anything wrong with it, it looks pretty new actually. I thought maybe I just had the adjustment off. so I adjusted it then pushed the actuator a few times spun the wheel and it drags. I would adjust it back until it spun free then I would push the actuator and release it and it would start dragging. I adjusted it way back but it still drags after you push the tongue.

I am going to see if I can get a brake assembly locally, or order one.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 6:43am
sometimes the rubber lines will swell when pressure is applied acting as a accumulater and when you let off the will still be minimum pressure in the system, are all your return springs in the right spots?
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic