Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pulling the ring?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling the ring?
    Posted: April-28-2007 at 1:09pm
I need to pull the ring off my stock 79 pylon. I noticed it has two pins near the top of the pylon under the ring. If I remove those, does the ring un thread? If so any good ideas on how to remove the pins?
Work to live, not live to work.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 1:42pm
The ring should be pressed not threaded. It won't come out easily. The pins can be knocked out with a punch. You're going to need to soak the ring with PB Plaster or another solvent for a couple of days. You'll probably have to use a long pry bar and twist the ring back and forth. Again, they don't come out easily. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 1:55pm
OK, thanks for the help. I'll go to work on one of these projects that seems like it should be simpler than it is.

Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 3:47pm
79, if you don't mind me asking, why are you pulling the ring? if you are doing it to allow an extended pylon there are other options. I can attach my extended pylon on my 78 Ski with an attachment that does not require the ring to be removed.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 12:12pm
Poster, I am pulling it to use an extended pylon. Does the attachment work with any brand of pylon?

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 12:41pm
79Tique,

There are a couple of manufactures that made extended pylons for boats with tow rings. One is Flitepipe, which they're no longer in business. I bought a used one on Ski-It-Again.com for $275. The other brand is SkyJac, which I believe they no longer make the type that bolts on the the boat pylon. Use Google or Dogpile.com to search the internet for used Flitepipes. They retailed for $545.00, but you can find a used one for about $250-$300. Worse case, remove your tow ring and purchase a Fly High from Overtons.

Ken
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 12:54pm
Thanks, I already have a B.I. extended pylon. It sounded like Poster112 had a adaptor of some sort.

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 1:46pm
Got ya, good luck with it.

Ken
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 7:57am
79Tique;

Check out tachyonmotorsports.com and click on boating products. They have an adapter that bolts onto the stock pylon. I have one of these on my American Skier that works great. You don't have to pull the ring on the pylon then and you can still use you're BI extended pylon.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 1:38pm
79, backfoot nailed it. Tachyon sells them on ebay, as well. I can put by BI straight boom on and the extended pylon at the same time. Its a great and very solid product.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 3:10pm
Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 11:31pm
I decided to go through with pulling the ring. One of the pins punched out with just a few taps on the punch.The other put up a fight and I ended up drilling it out with a cobalt bit. After the pins were out the ring pulled pretty easy. Some PB Blaster and some wiggling and gentle pounding it lifted right out. The ring and the stock pylon survived great so it should be no problem to put it back to original when I want.

Thanks again for the help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic