Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temperature Guage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temperature Guage
    Posted: April-27-2007 at 10:00pm
I had the same question/problem in my 78 SkiTique...it was the t-stat, or rather, lack of one. It came out in 3 or 4 pieces. Popped in a new 143 degree unit from skidim and it works like a charm. Oh, this was after installing a new sender (no change) that I later removed and replaced with the old one.

Kept the new sender as a spare.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 8:19pm
The manifolds even under regular temps will be very hot to the touch, question is whether they are to hot. Did you check to see how much water you were flowing out the exhaust. I check exhaust water flow first thing every time out. You don't want to warp the heads or burn your exhaust hose up.
zigman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 9:07am
nuttyskier...thanks for the info. I will try testing it as you described.

Tomski....the boat was in the water and the gauge still doesn't work. Thanks for the ideas though.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 4:52am
Have you had it out on the water?

I've just been through this with the boat on the drive. In the end it turned out there was no stat fitted and with the constant feed of cold water from the hose and no load on the engine it just didn't get warm enough to move the needle.

After a new sender and lots of circuit testing a $10 part fixed it. At least I've got a spare sender now.
Easily Parted From Money
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 1:56am
The temp guage has three terminals on it's backside. These are I (or ignition), Gnd (ground) and S (Sender unit). With the key on, make sure you have battery voltage accross the "I" and "Gnd" terminals. If you do, next check the send terminal for a good connection to the temp sending unit. To verify that the guage is working, disconnect the wire at the sending unit and connect this wire to a 100 Ohm resistor (you can buy one at Radio Shack or Fryes Electronics). Attach the other end of the resistor to ground. The guage should read approx. midscale. If this is all good - replace the sender. You can get one from NAPA or the manufacturer of the guage.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
zigman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 2:10pm
Hello,

I just purchased a 1978 Ski Nautique and noticed that the temp. guage is not working. I wasn't sure on how to diagnose the problem, so I thought I would start by replacing the sending unit. However, I am having a very difficult time locating a new part.

So, my questions are:
1) Is it most likely the sending unit....or is there an easy way to test.
2) Is there a way to cross reference the sending unit to something that I may find at an auto parts store?
3) Any other suggestions as to where I could locate a new one?

I am paranoid that I am overheating the engine. I can feel water going through the manifolds, but they sure get hot to the touch! This is my first in-board so you will have to excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for any information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic