Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 Ski Nautique repairs/upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
spe123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spe123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 85 Ski Nautique repairs/upgrades
    Posted: April-19-2007 at 6:22pm
My sister and I own an 85 Ski with the 454 option that we use on Bear Lake, Utah. After twenty years of nothing but tune ups it is due for a little TLC. This spring I've done the usual fluids/impeller/cleaning, but I've also changed to electronic ignition. I just received my ACME 13"x14" prop. I have changed out the belts and some of the hoses. I replaced the old raw water filter system with the Sherwood system because the stock bowl had cracked. After the snow we received yesterday melts I'll get out and see how she runs. The next project after that will be new intake manifold with carburator rebuild or replacement. Any suggestion on intake manifold/carb? I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer.

I had to post because my wife just doesn't understand how beautiful the new prop is or how interesting all of these improvements are.
1985 Nautique2001 w/Chevy 454
2001 Sport Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:07pm
Don't feel bad my new acme prop came for the BFN the other day. My wife called me at work and asked what the box on the porch was. I was like a acme prop for the boat hello!!! Then she asked why I was so excited the boat isn't even at home yet.

I feel your pain about the wife not being excited about the little stuff.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:47am
spe123, welcome. The performer manifold would be a good choice. Certainly wouldn't hurt it. Start with a good carb rebuild if you are mechanically inclined. Some guys go out and buy a new carb but I feel you can't beat a good rebuild as long as you haven't had any significant issues to speak of. Parts of carbs do wear out after time, but the rebuild is really cheap for a starter.

I also agree about the wife understanding or better yet, not understanding. Mine is really good most of the time. She understands completely about anything that needs repair and/or replacement due to normal wear and tear or age etc. She doesn't have a clue about performance enhancement add-ons just for the sake of improving performance and/or reliability. Post away, we'll listen and understand completely.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:59am
I've gotten used to running the blower all the time if we're idling or running at slower speeds (wakeboard). My concern is to get as much of the hot air out from under the cover as possible. For barefoot runs or regular skiing speed the scoop should be doing what it's supposed to and circulating air through the engine compartment. I've always been very good about running the blower before starting also. Maybe that's why I've burned out two blower motors since I've owned the boat!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 9:44am
BFN, im upset that you told your wife before me that you got the prop, i wouldve made you feel better and at least i wouldve acted excited...eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic