Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much ’glas is enuff?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much ’glas is enuff?
    Posted: April-17-2007 at 12:27am
I'm 'glasing in my secondary stringers and have 3 layers on so far. They are bedded in and faired(and grind and fair and grind, etc) My concern is how many layers is enough? I certainly want it strong but I would like to get in the water instead of putting on more than I need.
Bob Ed
83 2001
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 6:32am
When I installed stringers in my 87 I asked a similar question. I used the first layer of glass and resin is simply to water proof the stringers. Then applied three layers of sequentially wider glass (2", 4", and 8"). I used 403 filler to fillet the base of the stringer about 1" above and below the joint 1/4" thick. That was plenty.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 7:36am
I used 3 layers as well: mat/cloth/mat.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 9:29am
Thanks a bunch, guys.
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic