NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strangest thing you tried to ski on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strangest thing you tried to ski on?
    Posted: April-05-2007 at 2:34pm
What is the strangest thing that you have tried to ski on? My son and I are going to try an ironing board this summer.
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 2:55pm
We used to ski on a wooden oar. We also used to "barefoot" wearing soccer cleats, vans (the original checker-boarded ones), or flip flops. I do not recommend the flip flops because if you catch the front edge they will damn near rip your big toe off. It's also hard to keep your heal centered on them, especially when doing a deep water long line start, which is all we did behind the Boston Whaler back in the day.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 3:14pm
After a srorm one day we found a picnic table off a guy named George's dock,my bro scott jumped in with a ski rope and rode it back over to his cove and we threw it back up there.Wish I'd had a camera he looked pretty funny it had x brace on each end sticking up.

Munday
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 4:08pm
water
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 4:44pm
You kids - DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! (OR AT THE LAKE)!!!
We used to cut out a sort of small rectangle of plywood with handles. Kind of a Chevy Bow Tie emblem but without the slant. Approx. 12" to 18" long (anything works). We'd attach it to a tow rope and wearing a scuba mask and a snorkle, we'd then drag along behind the boat and when you turned the handles downward it would make you dive rather quickly and you could go up and down, resurface (which is always a good thing), etc. etc.
Absolutely do not try this without exercizing extreme caution. IT IS DANGEROUS! The boat we did it with was just a little outboard row boat and you want to go really really slow. Still, it works pretty good and is a lot of fun. Wear a life vest. You'll still submerge. Just be careful! Do I sound like a Dad? Oh, probably because I am!
Inboards Rule!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 5:05pm
Every plastic sled that my kids own have been behind the boat at one time or another.
64X, we did that same thing. We always used a light line because sure enough, that thing hit the bottom of the lake and we had many stumps.
Last year my kids tried to ride a snowboard with no luck.

Tull
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 5:16pm
A good old fashion trick ski. What a funky piece of material to try to stay up on!!!!

Ken
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 5:36pm
My brother
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 7:48pm
Tullfooter my wife has always wanted to use a snow sled but I wont let her. She has a hard enough time on the tube. My wife goes on the boat to saok up the sun and swim every once and a while.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 9:25pm
Tell us more please Lake!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 12:18am
An airchair without the fin. Just cause we could.....
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 2:09am
Me and two other drunk people on a 12ft longboard!!
Thephantomkaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 2:21am
How about a 55 gallon garbage can with a hole cut out in the bottom for the rope to go through... Its fun when the boat turns, it just rolls across the water! Its really hard to get it planed though because of it wanting to sink...
~Michael~
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 8:02am
Nautique 2001 - Yeah, I always think people that can do much of anything on a single trick ski are probably the most coordinated. They're just hard to fool with. I still have a set I get on once and a while, but very seldom the single one. I used to be able to turn around on it, but can't at all anymore.
I can still start backwards (deepwater) on the pair of them. That's a fun trick. Wakeboards probably look cooler I admit, but a good single trick ski rider has my respect!

tullfooter - Yeah, the hitting bottom thing is easy to do. It takes some getting used to, but it is pretty cool buzzing along the lake bottom and looking around at everything. It's like you're Jaqueskques Coooustowe!
(I knew I'd spell that wrong anyway, so I figured I'd do it up right!). I can spell "Calypso!" - I think that's right.
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 8:09am
Just saw Poster 112's "Soccer Cleat barefooting" Whoa! Why cleats? We used to use tennis shoes to get a little more surface area due to needing more boat power when we started trying barefooting (back in probably 1975 or 1976). It worked pretty well and spared your feet a little, but we'd look for our oldest, smoothest bottomed shoes! Seems like cleats would be more difficult.
Inboards Rule!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 8:31am
64X,
I've got three pairs of Chuck Taylors in the boat for me and my boys. Greatest shoe for goofing around at slower speeds.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 9:47am
Hey - Chuch Taylors really would be good; canvas; slight high top; fairly smooth bottom; yes -- the perfect "barefoot shoe!"

That sort of sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it? "barefoot" + "shoe" = "not really barefoot anymore!"

Now that I think about it, I think we jokingly called it "bare-slippering."
Inboards Rule!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 10:09am
standing on a lawn chair or riding a step ladder on a homemade 3-4 foot diameter homemade wooden disk. Local sheriff put a stop to the step ladder idea.

One time my friends and I found an old water toboggen (big board with stirrup to hold on to - rope directly from sled to boat) I was standing up on it going down the lake, pulling back hard on the stirrup. The rope to the boat broke and the front of the board came up and whacked me in the head. Nothing bleeds like a head wound. I looked like I had been shot. I was fine and we were laughing about it. Sheriff pulled up, looked at the blood pouring out of my head, asked if I was ok. "Yup...just fine... thanks for asking."
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 4:40pm
We used the cleats because they had the stiff sole on them. The cleats dug in, but kept them planed off. Just don't catch the front cleats, or you are DRT (down right there).

The only type of skiing that I'm good at is trick skiing and barefooting. When you learn the feel and physics of the trick ski, you are fine and you do anything that you want on it. Better air than a wakeboard and at a slower speed. I still have my Kidder Redline Graphite from 1987 or 88 that I use when I can get my wife to drive. My heroes back in the day were Patrice Martin and Corey Pickos. The Larson Twins were nice to look at, also.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 8:56am
Poster112,
That's funny about the cleats. You could always do like the AYSO officials make little kids do; if they show up with football cleats, they let them use 'em as long as they hacksaw the single front cleat (that soccer shoes shouldn't have) off. In your case you could saw off the front several. Wouldn't be much good for soccer then though!
I've goe a pair of older tricks (Connelly PR Professionals) I don't think they were real pricy, but not bad. I just couldn't get the hang of one. I know "Don't look down when turning" that's about it! I skied on an old Kidder RedLine before. That was a nice ski! My old slalom ski (I still have too) was basically an O'brien Word Team Comp, but they gave some a funny RW&B paint job in 1976 (Bicentennial)when I got it as a Christmas gift from my folks. It's beginning to show signs of age (like me)! My hero(s) were Bob and Chris LaPoint. I guess more so Bob. I thought they had the life. Catfish farming and aerating their livelihood (the catfish ponds) by water skiing! (that's from some story I read years ago). "Okay boys, rise and shine! Gotta go skiing to keep the catfish healthy."
Inboards Rule!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 2:12pm
I get up on a kneeboard and stand on it so it looks like im skiing but were only going 15 mph. We have this wooden tobogan lookin thing thats made to ride on but we use it as the attic door cover in the shed haha. Dad has skid on it before.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 2:56pm
phatsat67,
You could try skiing on your new windshield! Carefully!
Craig (64X55)
Inboards Rule!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 3:40pm
I made some old shoe skis. Literally screwed an old pair of shoes to some small boards. Talk about a knee-blowingly bad idea.
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 6:07pm
   Went up in the attic yesterday and seen an old rockin horse, u know the one with the round tubing frame and the springs.

Im thinkin about U-Bolting it onto some of those long skies and Ride that thing. just for kicks

LOL if it happens,   will post some pics.

RootRacing
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 7:20pm
My Face, then my feet, then my face again, every now and again followed by a rinse and repeat.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 8:03pm
Snow..
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 8:08pm
I like the toboggan idea, as I look out at the snow falling once again. A nice warm 28F.
Ah yes the sweet smell of frozen spring in the air.
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 6:31am
1986 HO Mach 1
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 12:31pm
I put some non-skid on the front of an old set of ski's so a small kid could stand on the front. Soooo with my nephew driving I said do 20-22 ish. About 40 we lost it one ski cracked me in the forehead. Little Josh said I don't want to ski anymore , blood running down my face I said I'm with ya!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 12:00pm
hey hey 65 I had a hard time finding that haha but its on now:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic