NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recreational Slalom Ski Test

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recreational Slalom Ski Test
    Posted: March-14-2007 at 6:09am

I was going to go with an O'Brien Synchro this year anyway, but this test drives it home. Quinner, sorry but they give the Nitro bad marks!

Ski Test
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 8:37am
Joel,

Interesting reviews,

Last 2 years went back to open toe and have been skiing the Vengeance, good ski just not fast enough, great if there is any chop, ski needs to be pushed hard to go fast. The Nitro is supposedly the next generation of this ski.

Surprised to see they rated the Triumph higher than the Nitro, skied my neighbors 06' Triumph last year and it was very much an intermediate ski, the Vengeance performs light years ahead of it, if the Nitro is the next Gen Vengeance I sure am not getting the review grades for those skis?

Picked up a System 8 for this season, spec's call it a heavier version of the Monza, really looking forward to trying it out.

Prior to my Vengeance always skied top end O'Briens with double boots. The Vengeance was friendlier on the deep starts and choppier water but just never saw the same preformance, hence my reason for shelving it.

If you have any interest in skiing the Vengeance or System 8 let me know, both are 69" ski's with XL RFF boot, RTP.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:15am
I thought you had the nitro, CQ. My bad on the jab there. You better get out on the course with me this year- my lake is only about 20 minutes from you.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 5:00pm
quinner,

Where did you pick up the System 8, and if you don't mine me asking, what did you pay for it?

I'm in the market for a new ski and was leaning toward the System 8, for no good reason.

What's your reason for going with the RTP? Just curious.

I really don't know what to look for in a new ski. I consider myself an aggressive recreational skier. Occasionally run the course when I get access to one, but mainly enjoy cutting hard in open water (river). My previous ski was an O'Brien Rumor Pro 68" that I had for years. Ripped the front boot out last year and finished the season taping the boot to my foot with duct tape!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 5:59pm
TNP,

Found the System 8 on Ski-it-Again, it's an 05' and paid about $200 blank IIRC.

No particular reason for selecting the System 8 other than instructor I worked with last season said it may suit me better than the Vengance.

Started out slaloming open toe, went to double boots when they first came out and stuck with em for the past 20 or so yrs. Starting the 05' season Just thought I would try the RTP again to see if it made a difference, as it turned out it did not plus you have the flexibility to start rear toe in or out plus no worries about a hard fall with only the front foot releasing. If you try going back to RTP give it some time before deciding if you like it or not.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 6:19pm
Quinn- do you think your lake folks will care if we drop the course in there a couple times this summer?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 7:08pm
I bought a new system 8 over the winter, and found waterskis.com had the best price on the blank. Someplace else had the best price on Animals. I'll dig it out if you're interested.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 3:21pm
Any suggestions on the best places to buy stuff would be appreciated. I did check out waterskis.com the other day. I usually default to Overton's or Bart's.

I've never purchased a blank. Do you have to drill your own holes and does it (or the bindings you purchase) come with a template and/or instructions on where/how to install the bindings?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 4:30pm
Wiley's. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 6:02pm
Most blanks will not require any drilling, they should have threaded inserts to accept the binding plate screws. Make sure you get bindings that are compatable with the ski. I went with the HO Phantom which I am very happy with.

I would say check out your local pro shop first, most will also offer demos if you wanted to try before you buy. If you go mail order use the links from this site. Also check out Lake Elmo Sports.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 8:01pm
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I'll be sure to check out the other sites.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic