Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

strut bearing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut bearing
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:35pm
I have just purchased a new strut bearing from skidim. It comes in 2 parts instead of one, which together still do not add up to the length of the one I took out of my 66 barracuda, which is approximately five inches. Is this correct or do I need to go about finding another one?
'cuda
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:43pm
Gee heath, I don't know about your 66, but I would think one inserted from the front of the strut and one from the rear (I think most newer ones are like that) will do the trick. That way you'd have coverage at both ends of the strut. There are a few posts on here that offer helps on the install. The one I like most is the tip that says put the bearings in the freezer for a few hours before inserting in the strut...supposedly they'll slide right in. Good luck.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 1:17pm
Tech Help! I need a new strut bearing for my 77 Ski Nautique.
1). What OD do I need?
2). Brass or Non Metallic?
3). Length?
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
lumiecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2007 at 3:54pm
Heath,

Some are single, some are double. It does not really matter as you only need support on the ends of the strut anyway. The center is not really an issue. Mine is a one piece. I have a 64 Skylark.

For the dual setup you do need two set screws for the bearing. One for each end. Be sure you strut has two set screws. Some only have one. Mine has two.

Pete

If you don't get it, be patient, you will.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 11:42am
I just put one in my 62 classic. The 2 piece works fine.

My strut was a press fit and no set screws. Do your self a favor and go to the hardware store, get some 1/2 inch threaded rod, 3 nuts and fender washers. Start by tapping in the bushings with a hammer then use the threaded rod and a rachet wrench to pull them in. This didn't occur to me until I was pounding with mallet for 45 minutes. I took about 5 minutes and little effort after I made this simple tool.
Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2007 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

My strut was a press fit and no set screws. Do your self a favor and go to the hardware store, get some 1/2 inch threaded rod, 3 nuts and fender washers. Start by tapping in the bushings with a hammer then use the threaded rod and a rachet wrench to pull them in. This didn't occur to me until I was pounding with mallet for 45 minutes. I took about 5 minutes and little effort after I made this simple tool.

I'll second that. I spent at least 45 minutes pounding on my bearings before I read this post. With the 1/2 threaded rod, I had those babies pressed in flush in about a minute. No joke.

Thanks for the tip.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 11:35am
Right on, Jake.

Glad I could help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic