Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

have you heard of this?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: have you heard of this?
    Posted: February-26-2007 at 11:39am
My buddy is looking at a Supra Sport Cla$$ic in Texas. I've told him a million times to go with a CC but the price is right and it seems like a solid boat. Since I live in Iowa I cant really help him too much, just through pics. He told me that the owner sent him an email saying that in the late 80's the boat was sent back to the factory and fully inspected. He said the stringers were checked, odd and ends fixed and then the deck and hull were even seperated to check everything out. It was a "rare promotional deal?" I have never heard of anything like this and it kinda made me think twice about the boat. What do you all think?
mars
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 12:02pm
I can't say it did or didn't happen, but if someone told me that I would have to see the paper work from the factory or contact Supra to verify that to believe it. I would also start to be cautious of anything he told me from that point on. The other point is that supposed to happen in the 80's. The 80's till now is quite a few years of water & weather to cause a problem. It all goes back to the point you have do do your homework on the boat yourself & take what the seller is telling you with a grain of salt.

Just my opinion!
Greg

86 BFN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 12:13pm
I don't know if this did or did not happen.

I do know that the way the Supra's were built, you need to separate the cap from the hull to do a stringer job. My next door neighbor had to do just this on an 86 Supra.

Also, he found that the way it was built, it was easy for water to get below the floor and cause the rotting.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 4:21pm
From my experience, Most 80's Supras (all models ) were prone to rot the floors did not drain and the gla$$ing was marginal at best below the floor. I have had friends that have had diferent models of Supra boats and all of them were rotten on the inside, However they had some nice designs, You just have to totally rebuild the boat if you plan to keep it as long as a Correct Craft.

FRK
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 10:14am
Thank you for the advice! Looks like he will be going after a CC after he see's what you all have to say!
mars
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 10:19am
Hey Mars,

Where do you boat in Iowa. Years ago I did a little running around in the Des Moines River, and at I think Rathburn Lake?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 1:56pm
      We used to ski down on the river when I was young. We had an old 74 Skier, Lime green, that we used when we were down there. It was actually Billy Grahms boat! The bought an 88 Ski from the Power Boat club there on the river.
      We moved to Diamondhead Lake about seven years ago? Its about 30 min. west of Des Moines right off the interstate about 2 miles? Inbetween Stuart and Dexter. Nice little private lake! It used to be a fishing hole but more people are finding out about us and its starting to become nice!
      Havent ever been to Rathbrun? Isn't it pretty big?

mars
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 2:20pm
It's been over 25 years since I skiied in Iowa. The last time I was in a friend's boat on the Des Moines river; as I recall it was difficult to stay in the channel, his I/O kept bounceing off the bottom.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:44pm
Yeah, that sounds like the river. My dad and his buddies used to always ski down there so it was kinda like second nature to me.
I remember one fall my dad got us out of school early to go ski. The river was low so we were just cruising to see if we should try it or not. Just before I got in the water a full grown tree popped up about 150 ft off our bow, branches, leaves and all!!! It was just rolling along the bottom and it came to the surface and we just watched it roll with the current....We didnt ski that day! Its a great place to ski as long as you know what your doing!
mars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic