NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

feel bad 4 them

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

the examples above are greatly simplified.
Gary

Absolutely. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 7:17pm
Way off thread jack.

Gary, I really like your boat, and don't those old Chryslers have a great sound!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 7:50pm
Exxon was a bargain just back in June for $57/share. Over $75 today. Thats about a 31.5% ROI in less than a year.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 8:57pm

BKH, Joe was saying that "profit margin" increases when inventories turn over, which is factually inaccurate. That is what I was disputing. I never mentioned return on investment.
So now we hate them because they are making a good return on their investment???? What in the hell would you expect a company to do? Make a bad return? What do you think a poor ROI would that do to the price of gas? It sure wouldn't make it come down! You can't have it both ways. Either the oil companies succeed or you pay more. Sounds like alot of folks would gladly get screwed over themselves just to see a successful company weakened. Who in the hell cares what their return on investment is other than the shareholders? Returns on investment have alot to do with good decisions being made on the investment.

I can't change someones mind of they make decisions purely on emotion, so I am done with trying to convince folks not to hate rich people or successful companies.

However, words have meaning. If one side is changing the terms in order to back up their side, he no longer has credibility. I brought up "profit margin" which has a finite definition and finite way to calculate. Someone else is using the same word "profit margin" but is talking about something completely different in order to advance their argument(you are probably right that he was talking about return on investment). I knew that I had the facts on my side, so I kept arguing. I thought that this was being done intentionally, but perhaps it was done by mistake.
Same thing goes for when someone talks a about a sales tax and another person says that the sales tax is a "regressive tax, as "regressive tax" and "flat tax" are "commonly synonymous". Since the fact is that they are completely different, that person loses credibility.

I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:27pm
Poster, again you're right. Margin is margin. It is a specific term.

By the way, I don't hate anyone for making money, so long as it is not illegal, or unethical (and even some of those activities I think should be legalized). I happen to own a significant amount of oil company stock, so clearly I dont' have a problem if they make money.

In answer to who cares what the ROI, one group is those who think that big rich companies should be paying more taxes. Whether you agree, or disagree, it is math that supports their argument. Spin doctoring at its finest.

I happen to be more on your side of economic views than I am with Joe. However, the point which I think he made, which I would agree with,is that in comparing margins between an oil company and a banking company is an apples to oranges comparison. The bank's margin, I believe, is a more accurate representation of its financial performance. For the oil company, ROI is a more accurate representation.

The truth is, to me, it is not terribly important what view that you, Joe, or Abundiga take. I admire you equally because you've taken the time to think about it, have done some reading and research and have a view which you're willing to stand by. To me, that's the freedom that our society gives us. Unfortunately, in my opinion, too many Americans are apathetic. That's why I've enjoyed reading this thread whether I agree or disagree. BKH
Livin' the Dream

AbunDiga909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbunDiga909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:56pm
I'm with BKH in regards to his statement about reading this post and being able to talk about it...

Poster, now I think you've got to relax on what I've said. I'll be honest, when I learned this, I knew the definitions, most of them were self-definable. But, since I couldn't find any one regressive tax by definition, I led myself to believe that is was regressive in proportion to your income, which I thought made sense. In that case, a flat tax would be regressive. But, my mistake, no need to get pissed about it--thats not my only point, so credibility is not lost.

Don't also a$$ume that I hate the rich or the sucessful companies--that couldn't be further from the truth. We are talking about specific scenarios here. I have a drive for sucess myself, and hopefully I can be high up in a company. But, I've also got morals. I don't want to make a mil. a year for Molboro or something harmful like that. Instead, maybe working for Merck would be nice, as an example, where I can help get the world the medicine it needs, and continue the legacy.

One thing is for sure, also, NO decision I make is based purely on "emotion." That's just wrong, sorry...

A person also loses credibility when he ignores the opposing argument and a$$umes it to be incorrect or immediately dislikes it without proper judgment--a reason why I always study what the "enemy" is thinking...

nice talkin', no hard feelings, i hope, nonehere at least...
I Nautique, therefore I am.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 8:48am
I ignored no argument. I addressed each one specifically and challenged each statement that I thought was absurd and and asked for factual backup. That is not ignoring it. I can appreciate opinion. We all have one.
Absolutely no hard feelings. Like I said, I 'm glad to see so much interest. When I was your age I sure as hell did not think about such boring stuff. You are getting a head start. Now go chase some women or something.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 11:16am
good debate,is it just coincidence that it's tax season?

Life is Good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic