NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mid-Atlantic

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-Atlantic
    Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:55pm
reidp
Have ya thought about it? Dates, where to stay? With a little lead time my wife's sister may be able to get us a deal on a block of motel rooms. I know jbear & jmurph are also interested.My home # is 252-322-3806 give me a call when you can.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 5:07pm
Let's get this thing going. What'd say Reid? Others?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 9:07pm
Andy and JMurph: I talked to Reid last nite by voice and we were kicking around this idea and dates. I am in to do whatever I can. But Reid is the Boss (can't say famous anymore) so the word to go should come from him.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 10:46pm
Where and when?
Tim D
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 11:25pm
Did somebody say free beer at Reids house, count me in!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 1:12am
Looks like it's gonna be a busy summer. So where do we start if we want to do something for the east coast? Those GL guys have raised the bar and gotten the rest of us so inspired with all their great work and resulting fun quotient to the point where I guess we can't sit back and watch them have all the fun.

I read up on Green Lake and what that quaint little village has to offer, it's easy to see why Mojo swears by it, and why everyone's going back. Those type places unfortunately don't abound everywhere else in the U.S., so let's see what we can do.

And then there is issue of dates. Jbear and myself discussed this and at one point we thought it would be really neat to have corresponding events going on it different parts of the country, but dates conflicted, plus several of us zealots would like to hit both, so then we looked at possibly the first weekend in August. As for Lake Norman and big dates, the best is the ACBS (Antique and Cla$$ic Boat Society) yearly cla$$ic boat show which is always the weekend after Labor Day. But guess what, that's the FL CC owner's reunion date this year. So I guess it would be totally off-base to conflict with that reunion, however the ACBS is a large event that openly welcomes vintage gla$$ boats.

While I'm totally open for the best venue, here's what we have to offer here if we hosted at our place:
We have a large adjacent open lot with guest cottage and boat garage apartment next to our home. We hosted our family reunion with JMurph and 20 others in beds this past summer. Those spots will be open for us if needed. We have a boat ramp on site and with two docks, dockage for about 20 boats prior to rafting them double-file, plus room for more boat trailers. We have hookups for 2 campers/motor homes, and room for a dozen tents. 3 charcoal grills and one gas. There are several marinas, bars, and restaurants on the water. There is of course the typical lake "sandbar" hangout and the beachable "Island" gathering spot very close by. There are plenty of national hotels within about 7 miles along I-77, along with a plethora of restaurants including Hooters, Hooter, Hooters, Cracker Barrel, Lonestar, among others including 200 BBQ joints. The closest to the property is Uncle Milf's Lake Norman Tavern(yes, you read correctly) and it's 3 miles away. I partook tonite.

What we don't have: A commercial restaurant/bar within walking distance. A fueling marina within 3 miles by water, but a convenience store is just down the road by trailer or 6 gallon tank. We're just off the main channel, so we also don't have a quiet, calm lake, esp on weekend afternoons. But early in the morn or late in the evening you can legally barefoot right in front of the dock.

Waterdog, Murph, Tim, MM, jbear and hopefully many others: thanks in advance for your coordination support, and the floor is yours so start throwing your preferences and ideas out there. I'm very mobile and can go anywhere where we determine the best event can be hosted.

Mark, I will gladly provide a couple kegs of free beer, as I don't think Augustus, Peter, or Sam could adequately support your habit by themselves.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 11:01am
reidp
The first weekend in Aug is fine with us.
It sounds like you have a great place to host.If we get together at your place it will be my wife and I and our 2 dogs (O.B.& CoCo)
they get along with everybody.(man & beast)They love to ride in the boat. Is that OK ? There also crate trained.If not my niece is in Kernansville & she loves'm.
On another note I'm going to pick-up my dream boat 16-18 Feb President Day weekend in Arkansas.I'll be traveling I-40 how far are you south on I-77? It needs engine work & I have the 350 chevy ready to go back in the Ski-Tique but it will be for sale once the dream boat arrives. Just need some ideas to sort it all out, blah,blah blah... Anyway my # is in the first post if you could give me a call I'd appreciate it.     
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 12:31pm
That's the second time you've mentioned the dream boat. What is it?
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 2:18pm
Hey Reid,

A reunion in your area isn't a bad drive from Atlanta. I would make an attempt for that one. Let me know if I can do anything from here.
Greg

86 BFN
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 3:03pm
Hey Reid,

I'm trying to mapquest Lake Norman and not coming up with anything. What's the nearest city or zip code?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 3:21pm
Mooresville, NC
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 8:38pm
Thanks Murph. Skicat, the best thing you can do is complete and bring that awesome red Skier, packed full of beer of course. Chuck, we're just north of Charlotte and only about 35 miles from the airport, hint, hint. If there are any Nascar fans out there, Mooresville is known as Race City, and home to a majority of the biggest Nextel Cup teams and drivers, such as DEI, (Dale Jr.) Roush, Penske, Yates, etc.. All are open for tours.

Waterdog, I will try to call you on Monday.
Obviously we love dogs, so yours are certainly welcome. We're just 15 miles south of I-40 off I-77.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 1:14pm
reidp
Great - I'll be home after 4:30 pm.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 1:40pm
Fish Nautiques don't really fit in on lakes do they?
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 2:01pm
reneck7,

Your Fish Nautique would definitely fit in. Lake Norman is a pretty big lake. Don't hesitate to bring it or at least bring yourself. I think alot of people would love to check out your FN.

How is the insurance claim going on you FN?

-JMurph
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 3:13pm
Freshly repowered...Insurance paid most of the costs and then promptly dropped me

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by redneck7 redneck7 wrote:

Freshly repowered...Insurance paid most of the costs and then promptly dropped me

Haha, sorry to hear that, but hey!! you got a new motor right?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 4:46pm
Oh yeah, new motor, rebuilt tranny, new batteries, new bilge pump. Some fibergla$$ work and I'd have a new boat.

I'll try my best to make it down there and bring the boat. I've never wakeboarded behind anything but big center consoles nor have I ever been taught to wakeboard by anyone at all, so I'd like to learn what I'm supposed to be doing...and of course drink a beer or two (mention a few free kegs and you can get a lot of attendance where I'm from )
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:07pm
reid...I was looking at your lake on google earth, and "wow" that place looks cool, we dont have lakes like that down here! Is that all one lake? whats gold mine island, did someone find gold on it? It seems like there is a lot to do and see on that lake, with places like, the Liquid lounge, the rusty rudder, vinnie's sardine grill. There is also a   lot of shoals and shallow spots, I guess it helps to know where you are going!!

redneck7..Your boat would be great on that big lake!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 7:49am
redneck7
Jmurph & I are at Lake Gaston @ the Va.NC state line not far off I-95 if all the stars line up we could have us a convoy.
ReidP
Good talkin to ya the other night.Hopefully I'll be back from picking up the dream boat by Sunday morning so I can nap throu the
Daytona 500. The 1st 50 laps - nap,nap,nap the 25 lap shoot out at the end. That's a good race ! Anybody BUT the bush brothers.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

redneck7
Jmurph & I are at Lake Gaston @ the Va.NC state line not far off I-95 if all the stars line up we could have us a convoy.
ReidP
Good talkin to ya the other night.Hopefully I'll be back from picking up the dream boat by Sunday morning so I can nap throu the
Daytona 500. The 1st 50 laps - nap,nap,nap the 25 lap shoot out at the end. That's a good race ! Anybody BUT the bush brothers.

Convoy would work for me...depending on where you are at Lake Gaston we could be close or not so close, but either way I've gotta drive SouthWest...

And I reckon that's how everyone watches the races...I know I do and everytime I talk to my granddad, that's how he watched it, too.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 5:53pm
Lake Norman

Tim D
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:45pm
I think I can see ReidP's house from here; it must be the one with all the boats in the yard.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 10:31pm
Wow Tim, that's crazy. I guess you already had my address, as we're right about in the middle on each photo at the end of Stepaside Ln, which you can read well on the bottom view.

Leave it to Mark to search out the drinking bars. And we do have sand bars as well, but not as prevalent in the summer when the water is high. Plus they're typically marked well also. The main channel is the Catawba river with lit/lighted channel markers. It was flooded by Duke power in the very early 60's. +/-25 miles long with 500 miles of shore line. Similar to many other man-made lakes with lots of islands and easy to get lost prior to becoming familiar.

Waterdog, enjoyed the phone time also. That's the way I typically watch the race also, except when I'm there, then the nap,nap,nap is replaced with beer, beer, beer.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 8:53am
Reid,

When I saw the name Catawba bells went off. My family's ancestors, the Arney's, got their start in Lincoln County, later Catawba, in the 1700's. My line eventually came to Missouri. There used to be Arneys still roaming the hills down there for some time.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 10:48am
I got news for you Chuck. Those Arneys are STILL roaming the hills, the valleys, and the shopping malls of Lincoln Co and the surrounding area. I just did a SuperPages query and found quite an allegiance. Fortunately for the rest of us, all of the Arneys that could swim and ride a horse moved West with you, as I only found one that had made it across the river/lake to the East side near us in Mooresville. He probably had an early model RafTique.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 1:33pm
Reid,

When the first group of Arneys and others left NC they headed for Indiana, this was in the very early 1800's. Apparently the rivers froze, and they had to winterize their "Raftiques" and waited for next spring to resume their journey. It took them nearly a year to get to Owen County, Indiana. My line made it to Missouri, via Iowa, a century later.   Someday I'm hoping to stomp around down there in NC where I came from. Those early settlers had tough lives, I'll try to remember that the next time I'm tempted to gripe about my cell phone reception.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 5:32pm
Man thats a wierd shaped lake, kinda looks like tree branches with leaves.
But it shure looks like it provides allot of lake front property.
If you were to get the distance of the whole lake around all those turns and bends it has to be a big number...
RootRacing
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 6:35pm
Root,

It reminds me of the shape of our Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri; the nickname is "The Dragon" because of its shape.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 7:20pm
Same shape as Lake Norris in Tennessee. All that shoreline makes for alot of coves to 'foot in.

I believe that Norman is lots more busy than Norris. Must be 'cause ReidP lives there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic