NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stereo installs........

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 8:49am
Randy,
1.I would say that system is going to pull about 30 to 40 amps, at that load, a large ,or 120 amp hr. batt.{trolling motor] will last 3 to 4 hrs.The stock alt. should be a 65 amp, more than enough.
2.Mount it close or in a place that is easy to access, mine is under the motor box,port stringer,raise the lid, turn the switch.
3.Do Not Turn The Switch With The Motor Running,with this said there is no reason to make any splices or mods to the existing wiring harness.
4.If indeed his amp draw is that high,and using a 120 amp hr. batt.he can jam for 1 hr. or 1 six pack,but this depends on a multitude of variables,type of beer,size of the can,10 or 12 oz.in the boat or in the water.The list goes on and on.
5. The best way to find out "RUN" time is hook it up and runner' till she dies.
then you have no OH SH#TS,the battery is dead on the water...........boat dr
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 11:35am
Dr,

I was looking at the Perko website and I have a couple more questions.

1.The perko 8603DP is a "heavy Duty" while the 8503DP is "Medium Duty". Why do you recommend the medium duty over the heavy duty?

2. I copied this right from the instructions which can be found in .pdf (see below) on the Perko website:

So it seems you are able to switch between 1, 2, and all just not to off as long as you have the alternator field disconnect wired to the alternator. BTW, what would happen if you switched to off with the engine running? would that damage the alternator?

I am looking at my alternator and looking at the instructions
Perko Switch instructions
and I'm confused. I can not figure out which wire they are referring to on my alternator.Can you look at these instructions and make any sense of it?it seems pretty straight forward except for the alternator connection.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 6:04pm
randy i would put the extra battery up front, alongside the box and amps.the medium duty should be fine around 35-40. my buddy has a similiar setup to the one i would be setting up, in addition to tower speakers and he runs the cheap one, going back to a conversation we had this summer...speaking of summer im ready to go boarding!i just got excited! how much feet will i need randy.im thinking maybe if we do this on a staurady i could always run up to sound effex by erics shop if we need supplies forgotten. if you want you can call me @3304614602 if you have question or concerns..thanks again
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 7:33pm
just got off the phone with boat dr.(bill).... seems like one hell of a guy!! it was a pleasure to chat with ya..randy we should only need 10 gauge wire for the amps(approx 30 ft). bill stated to not reuse existing wires, they are far too small gauge..go with 12 or 14 gauge..also stated to jump wires off the maps to the headunit so it get plenty of power so it will notr cut out..factory wiring is far too small.run rcas from head unit to the amps, go with one bib ground wire from motor and split it to the two amps..the power comes fro mthe perko switch? also   solder all connections when possible..i hope im explaining this right, there was a lot of info to remember!!!also bill stated that we shouldnt need dist. blocks, and go with breakers instead of fuses!!!..i hope this all makes sense!..thanks again guys-ryan
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:05am
Ryan,
I have a good bit of new 8ga wire and speaker wire. it all has yellow jacketing on it. Send me your address i can cut you off some and send it to you   
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 4:30pm
ski- i love the offer but im gonna need around 30 feet, yes may be excess but i want extra and no slices!!1........i figured this

30 feet 8 gauage for amps etc...
75 feet of 12 gauage for speakers
20 feet of 4 gauge........this should be plenty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 5:01pm
Ryan,

Actually, you may want to use 2 gauge for the battery connections. I was looking at my battery cables and they are 2 gauge. sorry I was thinking they were 4.
14 gauge should be fine for the speakers. 60 feet should be plenty for the speakers.

Hey SkiPA, I may be interested in some of that 8 gauge. let me know how much you want for it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 5:08pm
Ryan,

I was looking at my battery cables today and they are actually 2 gauge. Sorry, I told you 4, you could probably use 4 gauge but I would keep all the battery cables the same gauge.
You may want to keep the wire color coded, especially the battery connections. You wouldn't want someone to come along later and get these mixed up! If you get the yellow wire from SkipA you could easily mark the ground with a black marker.

14 gauge should be fine for the speakers. You will need about 60 feet. thats about how much i used on mine anyway.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 5:09pm
hey SkiPA

I may be interested in some of that 8 gauge. let me know how much you want for it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:05pm
Ryan,

I knew I was forgetting something. RCA cables. you will probably need 2 sets depending on your head unit. which kenwood head unit do you have?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:29pm
do you guys think a reburb'd clarion ammp is ok..i could save thirty bucks!...is it worth it?..really dont know what refurb'd means but...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:32pm
randy its a kenwood kdc-132 2006 year model..sonicelectronic.com sells them and gives all the good info..still debating on that amp..also i dont see 2 gauge wire, either 0 or 4 no 2!..thats stuff a lil pricey!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:35pm
reading.....it says preamp/rca outputs one. thats not good is it? please tell me i dont have to buy a need headunit!
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:18pm
I have about 500 or so feet of 8ga power and 275 of speaker i think it is 12 and 14 ga . For a fellow correct craft owner no charge . This is all stuff left over from my car audio store. I can get u the 0 2 4 ga . Fig out what u need send me ur address. u can email it to me prestonf@protechsecuritysystems.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:43pm
Ryan,

We could use the RCA Preamp outputs for the sub amp and use the speaker level inputs on the clarion amp. In a perfect world you would have preamp outputs for front, rear and subwoofer. If you want to replace the head unit you could get the Sony CDX F50M on sale for $129.00 at Circuit City. This is the unit I have and I am really impressed with it. I was never a big fan of Sony car audio but this plays MP3 CD-R's and it has auxiliary inputs for an Ipod or satellite radio. for the price you can't beat it Crutchfield sells the same unit for $199.00

BTW, get good RCA cables with gold plated connectors

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:45pm
SkiPA,

Thanks for the offer. I will figure out what I am going to need and send you an email. Thanks again!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:16pm
maybe a new head unit next year......skipa if you want some extra money id be willing to take off your hands 75 feet of 14 gauge, 30-40 feet of 8 gauge, and wwill also need20-30 feet of 2 gauge for batts...im more than willing to pay you instead of some guy on ebay!!..let me know when ya can so i can buy off eby or buy off you...thanks

randy-how many sets and what lengths?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:20pm
Ryan,

Thats fine, we will just use the speaker level inputs on the amp...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:32pm
one set

length from back of head unit to Bazooka amp. 15ft??? you know your boat and where you want to put everything. just keep in mind where you will have these wires tucked away at and take that into consideration on the length.

Preston, Can you get me some 2gauge also? I will figure out what I am going to need tomorrow. I need to get on the boat with a tape measure... You could put it in the same box as Ryan's to save on the shipping. I would want pay you something.
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:40pm
ryan,
I can get u the 2 ga but i will have to pay for it. I can get it at dealer cost. All of the other wire i have had in my basement from 3 years ago.    It all good wire if you don;t mind yellow jacketing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:45pm
I was pricing those Perko switches at West Marine. Wow, quite a difference in price between the Heavy duty and Medium Duty. $33 for the medium, $150 for the Heavy. I think I will be going with the medium. They have two different models one with the alternator field disconnect which, from what I understand, protects the alternator against damage from accidentally switching to "off".

I think I will get the one with the alternator field disconnect, I can see myself or some other dummy switching it to off and frying the alternator. Two batteries won't do you a whole lot of good with no alternator.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 11:56pm
SkiPA,

let me know what you can get the 2 gauge wire for   I will measure what I need tomorrow and let you know. Where are you at in PA? Maybe you could send over some of my favorite beer, Yuengling. I haven't had one for awhile. yum, yum Can't but it here in Ohio. Yet another reason this state really sucks...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:00am
skipa thats fine..

ok fellas heres what i ordered so far:

1 12" polk db124dvc subwoofer
1 polk momo sub grill
1 bazooka ma1500 monoblock amp
1 boss inline fuse holder water proof gold terms
1 5 pack of 100 amp fuses
1 medium perko switch..not alt wire
1 clarion apx480 amp......i neeed a sealed box with around .88 cubic feet, no more than .92 cubic feet...having a hard time finding one that is fairly cheap...no i do not want to build one guys!....so i need rca's and a box...ill keep googlin!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:06am
what about a crossover?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:46am
built into the amps........not necessary imo
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 12:59am
found the exact match for the polk subwoofer. sealed box requires .88 cubic feet..
ported box 1.25??...im going to go with a sealed box due to the marine enviro..its a box made by subzone, that has .88 cubic feet, 60.00 shipped..my question is that it states it holds up to 12 awg wire spade lugs single or dual banna plugs. is this ok considering were going to be running 8 gauage to it?..would like to know before i order the box...thanks...almost there!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 1:01am
oh ok ..just asking.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 1:46am
ryan,
you must be getting drunk or tired. you are not running 8 gauge wire to the subwoofer. the 8gauge is for the power and ground. your using 14AWG wire or the 6.5 speakers. you could use the same for the sub. I have enough 12AWG I could bring for the sub if you want...

agree... no need for a crossover.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 1:51am
hey ryan,

you could have stayed up and built a box for that subwoofer...

someone said they sprayed their box with bed liner. sounds like a cheap and easy way to go. you could even find a local shop that does this and ask them if they would hit your box while doing another job. probably be cheap...

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 8:35am
lol a little both, i sat in front of this damn computer for about 6 hours last night trying to save a few bucks!...randy that would be great, i think the bigger the wire to the sub box the better, correct?.......ok its all ordered, im crossing my fingers nothing is backordered!..good idea on the box, never thought of that...have a good weekend!..thanks for all the ideas and help from everyone..im excited to see how this thing will sound....thanks again, ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic