NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alum heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:11am
And I will supply the cold ones.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 1:50am
I met a guy today at "powerd by ford" that has a set of GT40s off of a lighting p/u truck with 80k, he wants 450 for them if anybody wants his # let me know!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:26am
There's alot of hype with aluminum heads, in automotive applications lets say trying to get another 10th of a second in the quater mile and if you switched to the lighter heads you could get that 10th then its worth the money. as for ski boat applictions where everyone is weighing down the boats etc... I would prefer the cast because of the durability and they have been proven over the years. gt-40's and vortech heads are great heads and for the dollars if you switched you wouldnt see any noticable improvement.
dollar for dollar there are other ways to get the hp you want with out purchasing heads.
remember im a chevy guy and if i had $1200.00 to spend on a bone stock 350 I would buy a complete stroker kit, $699.00 complete a special ground cam for the 7/4 switch (guy's are claiming 25 hp on the dyno) with doing these 2 things you lets a$$ume gained 100 hp and probably doubled the torque. what kind of hp will you gain with a set of aluminum heads?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:38am
here another hype thing that everyone has to have... these guys build these beautiful street rods, they pull out the 12 bolt chevy and put a ford 9' in the car, I'll ask the guy what are you doing with the car... he'll say well im going to cruise it around and go to my local car show, I'll say to him are you going to run it up to 8 grand and hit the trans brake? well you know what his answer was if you dont here is what he'll say, I cruise the car and would never beat on it like that, after a couple the car might see 70 miles an hour and the tach hit 5000 in first before he shifts. the point.. I never blew up a 12 bolt in my life and im sure none of you ever have. it was one of those things where you said I gotta have it
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:47am
Chevy is a different animal. A stroker on a ford small block is a waste unless it can breathe...
the more cubes, the lower the rpm it runs out of steam; thats why the 302's run so well on the small boats, they can get 52 krpm and still produce power before going flat. A 392 stoker will go flat about 4400 rpm or less with stock heads.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:16am
the point was if im going to spend $1200.00 its not going to be on a pair of heads,

I just dont like aluminum on boats, a boat runs 90% full power 10% of the time and a car runs 10% full power 90% of the time, Aluminum heads on a boat are subject to alot of head temp, if anything I would take a set gt's and send them to a good head shop and let them go at it, they are diamonds in the rough and in the right hands they'll become the hope diamond. the one guy on here burned a piston probably because of a lean situation, if he had aluminum heads on that thing guess what?
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:18pm
Question since thermostates were mentioned,     Changed main circulating water pump last season cause it was leaking water from the bottom hole. Called skidm and told them to send me a water pump and the thermostat that the boat should have. They sent a 142,   the one i took out was I think a 160.     

The boat now runs in the mid 140's now.     Is that enough heat or should I go back with the 160 ?   {86sn 351}
RootRacing
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

backfoot, we'll solve this and numerous other world issues as we toss back a few while watching MM install jbear's intake.

ReidP I'm in concurrance. I'm sure that we'll solve a lot of issues.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 4:48pm
Root, go back and read the hypertext on ReidP's link earlier. Good info on T-stat temps. It should answer your question.

Eric, I'm with you about that 383 stroker. That's what my engine will become when it comes time for a rebuild. I was planning on using iron heads on it but you know the old addage. "there is no replacement for displacement." I just wanted to try and get some more info on the AL head vs. Iron. Seems that all the street rodders are going gaa gaa for them and any one that has them just raves about 'em.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Holy Cow! I did it!

Thanks BKH and Hollywood. Man I am a computer guru.

john

OLD DOG...... NEW TRICKS...... STILL LEARNING......

Sorry for CAPS LOCK!

Damn, I hate when it does that!

Jbear, you can still ski, appreciate the coolest boats on the planet and still learn something. Who the hell says you're OLD!

F**k, there it goes again.

Hope you had great day yesterday.
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Root, go back and read the hypertext on ReidP's link earlier. Good info on T-stat temps. It should answer your question.

thanks,   Sounds like I have the right one in there.

RootRacing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 7:07pm
Bf, I threw a stroker together, Block already bored 200.00   202 62cc heads 200.00   stroker kit 699.00, $69.00 summit cam(made by crane) odds and ends 200.00 horse traded the rest carb, dist, etc... oh yeah spent about 8 hours on the heads, opening polishing.   broke engine in and put up on the dyno, all the other 350's we had on that day came up to 4200rpm's and died off in a hurry. put the stroker up, went to 4200 and stayed level all the way to 7800. i would 40mph in the car and nail it and it would turn the car sideways. I never expected those results, we've built alot of hopped 350's and nothing even comes close to a stroked motor.
Somebody mentioned the 302 runs out of juice at 4200 but i believe you can also stroke a 302 which would end up a 347 and i've heard alot of good things about the stroked 302
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 12:40am
Eric, I'm with you on the "gotta have it" thing with the alum heads. However, from one aspect I've seen and esp with the Ford aftermarket availability, if your intentions include a significant HP upgrade, out-of-box options are greater in aluminum. For what myself and 79 have in our iron heads (meaning larger valves and port work labor) we may have been able to obtain this as cheaply with stock alum. I'm not sure and can't speak for 79 or others, but I know the time I spent grinding on several sets of mine, and we recently bought and installed a pair of Ford X-305 alum heads for a best friends Donzi and you could stick your fist down the ports right outta da box. And it runs great bottom to top. For me (read as my budget) I still like iron, and esp as long as we're in the 275-350HP range and not 4-500HP.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 12:50am
Root, I'm not sold on 140-143 degree in RWC fresh-non salt water. I've been running 160's in every boat I've changed out. But I won't go so far as to make a recommendation, as I believe that thread stated something about mineral damage in addition to salt. I am confident however that you'll make an extra horse or two at 160+ and up. And and old codger(sp) at HM did recommend this to me a number of years back.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 9:31am
Reidp, I am running the 140 on my stroker,reason being timing and detonation issues.Still have not fully broke her in yet,16hrs.but will tweak hard come spring.Ford Racing says max advace of 37 deg.w/140 therm.and 9.5 cr running pump gas will make good power and no rattle.To me cooler the better,but i agree that btu,s = HP. once again my opinion......boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:03am
Maybe, Im just throwing one out there....cars are regulated by the EPA which they need the higher temps to burn all of the gas, marine, not as regulated.
Even engines with 140 and 160 degree thermoststs when i winterize will blow steam out of the exhaust so that means somewhere is 212 degree metal (probably the manifolds)
also because of the varying rpms on a car (stop and go) 750 to 2500 at best and with a boat at 3500 rpm you are creating ma$$ive amounts of heat and with the lower thermostat its easier to get rid of the heat. Its like the old myth of removing your thermostat on your car, on hot days the water doesnt get a chance to cool without the thermostat and it eventually climbs and overheats
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:26pm
Eddie: Great day it was, mostly 'cause of all the greetings here. As to the compu tricks, most of the guys here are so good that it makes me happy when I can learn a little something. It sure is fun here!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 11:53pm
Reidp,boatdr,eric. Thanks for the imformation, Im confident now that either will be ok.
This sounds crazy but seems like it ran smoother at 160,   could be that the carb needs a minor tweek since it's runnin a cooler temp.
Im gona swap back after a few runs and see, it may just be a mental thing.
RootRacing
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 5:03pm
Eric as for not blowing a 12 bolt apart, I give my old high school auto shop teachers number. His 12 bolt has blown 4 times at the track. It's not from a lack of being built right. He has a 70 chevelle with a 454 rinning about 550 HP. He launches it at 6500, with a four speed maunal. Of course the motor is balanced. He told it if it broke again it was egtting a 9 inch ford rear end. Has not broke since. but he quit racing now that his willy's coupe is done. It has a blown 327 running right around 750 hp, so the dyno says. That willy's is all metal and runs in the hi 9's. He hopes to be in the low 9's this year, he put a full metal clutch in it that he has to get used to. I will try to get some pics of it to show you when I pick up the BFN.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 7:34pm
thats why i say to these guys are you going to wind it up and hit the trans brake,and there answer is no, of coarse if I was racing a car it would have nothing but a 9" or if i was trying to break 100mph in a boat that was only doing 90mph then i would go after some aluminum heads. my point was directed towards you gotta have them (aluminum heads, ford 9')
most street rods and muscle cars never leave the garage let alone go to the track. there is nothing wrong with 10 bolts or 12 bolts in the right situation or nothing wrong with cast heads in the right situation, thats why I started the sentence with the word hype
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 8:25pm
I see your pointe sorry Eric. miss read your post. How much snow did you guys end up getting on friday after we left. WE got home and all we had was a dusting on friday, got some of the white stuff the past couple days though. Whole 2-3 inches out there, that sucks for it being January.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 8:28pm
no school for the kids today, its finally starting to feel like winter, maybe 3 on friday and probably 6 last night,
   I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...........spring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic