NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best prop for 2001 196 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:21am
slider, try to find someone to ski your boat that has skied behind several other TSCs. Any hardcore slalom guy should be able to tell right away if there is a problem with your wake really. Maybe you're just imagining it's larger than it really is?
slider79sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slider79sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:35am
Thanks Hollywood, I really hope that I am..... but it sure looks bigger than the one in the above photo.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:56am
Well, let's just hope it's all in your head. Hell, I'd take a slalom pull behind 62 Wood's pontoon boat right about now, or Gotwake's Super Air!
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 12:58pm
With the stock Federal prop on my 79 Tique we will get a big rooster tail when we are pulling a heavy skier. The tail goes down with a lighter skier or with a newer prop. This has always suprised me, and I'm not imagining this as a few different skiers have noticed the difference as well. Could skier weight be a factor with your wake difference? Is your prop a good match for your hull or is your prop dammaged?
Work to live, not live to work.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 6:28pm
Updated my pics (above). That 01 with the blue "N" is hot as hell. NICE rig.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slider79sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 7:31pm
Thanks M3Fan, we do love our new SN. Those updated pics will help me figure out what is going on with our 01's wake. I can tell you that our rooster tail is larger than that, what prop are you running?

And you are talking MPH in each picture description correct?

Is your signiture (M3Fan) hinting at the M3 BMW?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 8:17pm
I wish I had an //M3, but instead I have a nice SUV and a nice boat. I suppose it's what you'd call a high-cla$$ problem. I had a 99 3 series before the boat, non-M.

I'm fanatical about BMW's, especially M3s, so that is where the name came from.

I'm talking MPH in those pics, and they are all going from memory.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by slider79sc slider79sc wrote:

what prop are you running?

Not that it should matter, as M3 has run both the OJ Legend 4-blade and the 422 on his TSC1, but what prop are you running? It should say the brand/model right on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slider79sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 9:33pm
TRBenj,
I will go out and look tomorrow morning, it is a 4 blade and I a$$ume orginal as the boat only had 89 hours on it when we bought it.

M3Fan, I know how the M3 thing can go, I bought a 96 M3 last year. It is Cosmo Black with the black/mustard interior. I just love that car......

Thanks everyone for all the info so far....
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:44pm
gotta love the e36 m or not{mines not} just a 325 vert
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:29am
Hollywood: Sounds as tho you are jones'in for a ride. The '80 is 10 minutes from the house and ready to go in the water. In fact me and ReidP were out in her the day after Christmas. I know it don't have a nice wake like some of you guys boats but she is loud and fast. C'mon down. I know its bad up there. 70's and sunny here today and lots of cold Mich Ultra in the garage fridge.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:38pm
I know this thread is a bit old at this point, but I feel compelled to chime in. When I got my 98 SN, the longline bump was a little more noticeable than I had anticipated (although by no means was it bad). I had my first outing last weekend since installing the Acme 422 and all I can say is that (from a wake perspective), it was a world of difference. I pulled toward the wake expecting that bump I'd experienced in previous outings and it just wasn't there. Felt similar to what I remember from my sets behind the TSC2 hull, i.e., no bump. I was even more pleased when my wife told me that, because it was rough, we were only running about 30 mph.

When I ordered the prop, I asked Bill Weeks if anyone had reported softer wakes from the change over from the stock OJ and he said probably not. But little changed other than the prop. We were even running a full tank of gas. Acme used to offer a money back guarantee on the props, so I'd say the 422 is definitely worth a shot.

Of course, given the age of this post, you've probably been running something else for a while now (and at 5,000 feet, the 422 may not be what you need).
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:47pm
Heck, I'll chime in on this again as well. East tx, you should not have felt a bump behind that boat with either prop. Could have been a weight distribution issue (no gas, maybe the passenger all the way off to one side of the seat, etc.). As I mentioned in a different post, the 422 actually seemed to increase my wake a bit, but not too noticeably. That said, I'm a big fan of the 422. The 3 blade props from ACME will perform better on this boat as far as holeshot and WOT RPM however for pure slalom skiing the 422 is smooth as could be and seems to be designed for slalom course operation. Extremely smooth, quiet, and consistent. I can turn it past 4900 RPM so it's not limiting me on the top end either. I'd say it's a keeper and would be my recommendation to anyone using a TSC1 for slalom.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slider79sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 3:16pm
HI guys,

Well I went with the Acme 470 and it did improve the longline wake, the bump at 22 off is still there and not great. I have been told (I am not this good yet) that the wake from 28 off and shorter is non-existant!!!!

A local national skier has begged me to bring the boat back to his lake after he skied behind it.

The biggest thing we noticed is how smooth the boat feels now and it improved the steering at both low speeds and through the corse.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Heck, I'll chime in on this again as well. East tx, you should not have felt a bump behind that boat with either prop. Could have been a weight distribution issue (no gas, maybe the passenger all the way off to one side of the seat, etc.). As I mentioned in a different post, the 422 actually seemed to increase my wake a bit, but not too noticeably. That said, I'm a big fan of the 422. The 3 blade props from ACME will perform better on this boat as far as holeshot and WOT RPM however for pure slalom skiing the 422 is smooth as could be and seems to be designed for slalom course operation. Extremely smooth, quiet, and consistent. I can turn it past 4900 RPM so it's not limiting me on the top end either. I'd say it's a keeper and would be my recommendation to anyone using a TSC1 for slalom.

I suppose it could've been a weight distribuation issue, but as I mentioned, this first time out with the 422 was also with a full tank. I'd noticed the bump before with no observer, one observer and with two observers.

This most recent time was with a 2 year old observer (30 lbs) and a driver only. Otherwise, nothing else changed but the new prop. I can't explain it, but the difference was very noticeable. Again, it wasn't bad before, but a tad firmer than I'd expected having skied the TSC2 and TSC3 previously.

Was the stock prop in 98 a 13x16 or a 14x16 OJ?

Going to a 12" diameter prop might make for a slightly smaller prop column couldn't it. I know we're only talking inches, but on my old MC, the Acme 541 did flatten out the wake a touch, too.

We're taking it to some of the smoothest water in Texas this weekend, so I'll be able to able to give it a second opinion. We'll see.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

Was the stock prop in 98 a 13x16 or a 14x16 OJ?

Going to a 12" diameter prop might make for a slightly smaller prop column couldn't it. I know we're only talking inches, but on my old MC, the Acme 541 did flatten out the wake a touch, too.

It would have been 13x16. Its worth noting that the 13x16 OJ Legend turns very similar numbers (speed vs. RPM) to the Acme 422 (12.5x15.5). That leads me to believe that theyre very close dimensionally- until Acme came along, the dimensions of most ski boat props were rounded off to the nearest inch.

Id guess any differences between the wakes that the 2 props produce would be attributed to other aspects of the design (rake, blade surface area, etc).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic