NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

original cost

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: original cost
    Posted: January-22-2007 at 9:56pm
I have to fill out some insurance forms for my "new" 86 Ski nautique 2001 and they ask what the orignal cost was.

Anyone know what the approximate original cost was of one of these boats?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 10:36pm
I don't know the original cost, but I'm sure someone will.

However, I would think that data is irrelevant. What matters is what is the boat worth.

If I were you I would answer that question "unknown." BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 10:58pm
Brian: Wouldn't you think that it is actually worth more today than when new? Depending on condition of course but it is possible.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 11:07pm
JBear, I think those boats were originally around 18-20K, but I'm not certain. I'm sure someone here bought one back in 86 and would know. An 86 now probably goes for 8-12K, something like that.

I just don't see any relevant reason why the insurance company would need to know the original cost. The fact that they are asking tells me there is something they are trying to use against the insured.

If wakeboardin24 answers "unknown" he won't be lying, and if there is some legitmate reason why they need the info, they'll come back to him. BKH

Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 12:09am
I think that might be a little high. I believe I only paid a bit over 19K for my '93 if I am remembering correctly. Of course, they say the memory is the second thing to go. But I gotta agree on the reasoning behind why they (insurance co) need to know. But who is to say what it is worth today; replacement cost or "what can ya get for it". I gotta check how mine is insured.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 12:54am
I bought one new in 85, but I was working at the plant at the time, I paid 12.5, but that was just above cost, loan value was 21.5, it had all the options you could get at the time, + a metel flake stripe and a fibergla$$ platform. The cost will depend on what options it had on it when new. I think I still have my old bill of sale, I will see if I can find it!
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 8:12am
Ok, I think I am going to put unknown and justify it by saying that the boat is twenty years old if they choose to ask.

Thanks guys,
Eric
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 9:04am
My Uncle paid 13K for his new 84 in 85.
The2001.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 9:31pm
$16,500.

That was what people paid for the 1986 Ski Nautique 2001. In 1986.
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 2:38am
I have the original bill of sale for my 86. It was $14,500.
So It Goes!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 2:43am
Good data 2001 and derby. Did that include the trailer. Was the boat a west coast, central, or east coast boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 3:22am
The boat was purchased with trailer from Overton's in NC.

Uhh...the original owner,I'm number two, might have had some in's. He told story of being flown out to their lake and taking a test ride in three different boats. Man I wish he bought the brown and yellow one. So perhaps 16K is not a bad number either.
So It Goes!
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 3:25am
Regardless, It's comforting to know how well these boats hold their value. 4-6K in twenty years. You dont see that too often.
So It Goes!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 5:45am
I had a topic like this on PN a while back: Old Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 9:17am
I examined the original reciept last night when I posted that figure. $16,500 with the trailer. In writing. CONFIRMED :)

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 11:43am
If an 86 2001 sold new for 14,500 - 16,500.
How much more was the Silver Nautique ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 11:51am
Just anecdotally, the blue and white Ski Nautique that remains in my extended family was almost going to be a Silver Nautique. They were very close to getting one of those instead.

It was deemed at that time to be "too sporty" for the family that bought it.
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 9:02pm
....my insurance company asked me the same thing when I purchased my 80'. When I asked them what difference it made since it was 25 years ago, they didn't have a logical response. I insured mine for a specific amount, that way if something happens they can't play games like, "well, it is an older boat" or "the book says..." so this is all we will give you for it. Ask lots of questions and ask to see the policy before they issue it so you can look for loopholes or have an attorney that specializes in insurance review it for you.      
Heath
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 9:17pm
wakeboardin2k4, hey I spoke with my mom. She sold insurance in the past and she recommended you telling them that you don't know the original price, as they will try to depreciated based on it's and what the original price was.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 9:18pm
oh yeah she also recommended insuring it for replacement value, in which you would need to get the boat appraised by someone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

wakeboardin2k4, hey I spoke with my mom. She sold insurance in the past and she recommended you telling them that you don't know the original price, as they will try to depreciated based on it's and what the original price was.

This is precisely why I recommended he say "unknown." I used to be a lawyer, but I'm always hesitant to give legal advice, because folks listen to it. It's been 12 years now, laws change, and the state bar actually prohibits inactive members from giving advice. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic