NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

American Skier Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 11:01pm
also jbear, check out the way Randy polishes his knob. It would probably work on manifolds and heads as well.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 12:01am
Randy is the knob polish expert of this here website.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:43am
John, glad to hear that you're staying busy anyway. There's only so many coats of wax you can put on your boat before it doesn't add to the finish.

You can get Flitz at any auto parts store, Lowe's, Home Depot etc. Probably even Wal Mart. Just wanted to verify that those manifolds are somewhat smooth already. Like an AL skin water jacket over the top of a cast unit. That's what mine were like. Not a solid cast AL piece. A solid cast piece would probably be pretty rough to start with and you might have to start with something else to get them smoother before using the Flitz. Hope that desciption makes sense.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 5:33pm
backfoot do you a MSD distributor on that motor to go along with the ignition box? Which box you running, 6A or 7A? How did you mount it to the motor box with out the screws going through the other side?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 9:16pm
87BFN,

I do have a MSD dist. The ignition box is a 6AL. I know, not the marine version, but I was running out of funds. Still works flawlessly. The bottom circumference of my motor box has a 1" x 1" wood strip that the upholstery is stapled to. I took a small piece of 1/2" marine plywood that I had left over from my floor replacement and treated it with epoxy so it doesn't rot and just screwed it to that furring strip. Then I attached the ignition box to that and dressed everything off. You should be able to see that from the engine pic on the first page of this thread. If you want a better pic, I can get that for you too. Just let me know. I wired it up with waterproof quick disconnects (from MSD) so I can remove the engine cover if I need to and the ignition box stays with it without having to remove it. It's kinda slick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 9:24pm
backfoot it looks great. was wondering because I am considering one for next year, but I know your not supposed to get it to far from the coil, closer the better within reason of course. Did you use the MSD coil to complete the package. The 6AL should be good for vibes anyway. WE use a 6AL in are truck and we take it off road and there is plenty of vibes once you put her up on 38's. Very nice set up you have there.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 9:42pm
Thanks for the props. Actually, I did end up getting the MSD coil. I started without it, but my existing coil only lasted about a week. Scared the piss out of me after all that work. I was worried about the 6AL lasting with the wet environment and the vibes like you say, not to mention the heat. Not even a hint of a problem so far (knock on wood). I did make sure that I used the marine distributor though.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:05pm
Eddie: Got my new manifold 2 nites ago. Was on the phone with ReidP last nite and we expect to have a couple of more tricks for our big motor day. Hope you are still in. I'll show ya my manifolds that day. Hopefully I can make 'em look as good as yours.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:24pm
backfoot, yeah marine dist. onlyway to go. Thought about a regular auto as the motor turns that way but, no sense paying all that money and having crap out on you.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Was on the phone with ReidP last nite and we expect to have a couple of more tricks for our big motor day.
john

John, I'm definitely in. I'll get in touch with ya as we get closer and figure out the time to meet. Have you started with the manifolds yet? Just wondering how they're coming along. It would definitely be easier to polish them before you put them on. If you need any more help on that, let me know and I can arrange come over before the big day and see if there is anything we can do to speed up that process if that's what you're referring to or are there other things we're gonna be doing to that day????? Just let me know.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 9:42pm
Meant to call you today but somehow the day got away from me.

Ain't started on the Commanders yet. Won't be puttin' them on just yet, need some elbows and the polishing. Reid and I are talkin' GT-40 heads. He has a good line on some.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 9:52am
I somehow figured that there was more work we would be doing before all this is over. Carry on good man!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic