Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck Federal Prop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck Federal Prop?
    Posted: January-02-2007 at 1:11am
I'm trying to remove my original 1979 Federal prop to replace it with my new Acme 542 and the old prop dosent want to come off. I'm going to try some heat and bilateral tapping tomarrow. I would like to keep the original prop for this old boat so I am hoping not to beat it up too much.
Any good ideas; I'm looking for suggestions.
Work to live, not live to work.

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 8:55am
Prop pullers are a sore subject for me. Before I made my own, I used one of those small propane torches to heat the prop. I direct the flame on the hub (for several minutes). It would make a "popping" sound and slide right off. Sometimes, to give it a little "encouragement" I would tap it with a ball peen hammer. This causes some discoloration of the prop, may have some other adverse effects on the shaft and the strut bushing, but it does get the prop off. Another thing, leave the prop nut just on the end of the shaft so the prop doesn't just fall off the shaft.

I have had pleny of success with the "c" clamp looking prop pullers. Good ones run as low as $60.00. I have built several but found that the geometry must be precise or the puller itself does not work.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 12:41pm
SkiBum,
Do you remember wich prop pullers are worth trying? No boat shops in my area so I'll be buying one on the internet and I'd like to get the right one the first time.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 1:46pm
I don't have a brand name for you, but I do have a warning. A prop puller for a 4 blade prop should work for the 3 blade as well. A prop puller for a 3 blade prop, may not work on a 4 blade. If the puller is too wide, it won't fit between the blades of the 4 blade prop. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 2:18pm
I used a 3-arm gear puller from Advance Auto worked fine and was only $20.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 5:18pm
The top one here is the one I have http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=624
Works good on my CC Mustang and a Shamrock, but I don't think it will fit a 4 blade
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 5:50pm
79Tique,I just removed my 82 federal & put on the 542.I used the acme puller & kit my wife got me for X mas.I followed the directions from acme & used the hammer on the puller.Tighten puller & hit it on both sides of the puller.Tighten more hit again ,then it busted loose.It was stuck good & I had to hit the puller hard.Dan
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 6:04pm
I have used pullers as much as 1/2" wide on four and three blade props. If I were to buy one it would be from ACME because it is forged steel 3/8" thick with stainless bolt. IMHO.
Bill
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 10:38pm
Any one tell how the ones from SKIDIM are?

Steve
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 11:06am
I've used a couple different types of pullers and like the plate style puller the best.
If the prop is really stuck on there hard, tighten the puller as tight as you can and leave it overnight. Come back to it the next day and go at it again. That method worked twice for me.
Good luck
-Brad
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 12:44pm
I'm looking at the two on boatdesigns.com (I don't want to sepend a over $100 for the Acme)should I go for the plate type or the "C" clamp one. The tap with the hammer method described with the C-Clamp one sounds effective, but folks seem to like the plate style better. Suggestions?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

I'm looking at the two on boatdesigns.com (I don't want to sepend a over $100 for the Acme)should I go for the plate type or the "C" clamp one. The tap with the hammer method described with the C-Clamp one sounds effective, but folks seem to like the plate style better. Suggestions?

I'll agree that the Acme is very nice. Its over $100 because it is only included in a kit that adds a prop carrying case, an adjustable wrench, plus a spare lock nut, cotter pin and key. IMO, for $30 extra the kit is a good buy.

If you only want the puller, there is one at Delta Propellor for $74 before our 5% discount.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 2:15pm
FWIW - I just got a ARE prop puller. It's one of the most expensive pullers out there but it's also the most heavy duty puller I've seen. It even has a little swivel on the end of the screw-down portion so it doesn't marr the end of your prop shaft. It probably weighs twice what most pullers I've used weigh- it's a beast.

Ironman Puller
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 4:30pm
I agree with M3fan. I have an Ironman that I got from SKIDIM and it works awesome. I liked it so much that I got another one for my brother-in-law for a Xmas present. It is a heavy one and the fact that the head swivels won't ruin the end of the driveshaft or anything else.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

It even has a little swivel on the end of the screw-down portion so it doesn't marr the end of your prop shaft.

I cant be 100% sure, but I believe the Acme has this feature as well.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 6:15pm
The Ironman is less than 100 bucks as well. Good choice unless you want to make a monster like the one in picture above.
Bill
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 9:03pm
I'm ordering the Ironman this evening. Seems like the best I can get for under a 100 bucks. I did the heat thing today and some more tapping with a hammer and no luck. I'm not hitting the prop very hard as I really want to preserve the the old prop. I hope this Ironman puller does the trick.

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 10:42pm
79Tique...did you try spraying it with something like (PB-BLASTER) that stuff can unfreeze anything, and its cheeper then a puller.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 10:48pm
Thanks MaddMarxx, I'll try the blaster with the puller as it is already ordered. Can't hurt to add some chemicals to the effort.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 8:21pm
The Ironman puller got the prop off. Now I'm putting the new Acme on and it seems to sit on the shaft nice. I spun it around on the shaft and it snugs up tight, the slots for the key line up well.
How do you go about putting the key back in? I want to do this right so I don't bugger things up. Any other tricks or details I should know about?

Thanks for the help,
Gabe

dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:35am
Mine only slid in one way smoothly.I had A new key & didn't force it.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:58am
Did you set the prop all the way on to the shaft then push the key in? What's easy? Pushing by hand or tapping with a hammer? Mine does not seem even close to pushing in by hand. Might even be hard to drive in with a hammer.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 6:46am
No hammer.

To start, make sure the key can slide in the prop, and the key can slide in the shaft. Else remedy the situation by deburring and if necessary run the key down a fine file to take a thousanth or two off.

Then using some rubbing compound, lap the prop to the shaft. Clean. Mark the shaft with a sharpie where the prop seats. Now a$$emble with the keyway. The prop had better slide to the mark, else the key is binding. You want the key to float, not bind. Never draw the prop on with the nut.

When you can a$$emble it all without bind, and seated as well as without the key, its time to add the washer add the castle nut or new nylock nut, and pin.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 9:10am
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

Pushing by hand or tapping with a hammer? Mine does not seem even close to pushing in by hand.

Do not use a hammer. If you can't get it on by hand something is wrong. Take it off and try again. Make sure the key is not already sitting high up on the shaft, I have success if it slides a little of the way up with the prop.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:11am
I agree with everybody else. The key must be able to slide into the prop and the shaft without binding. I put the prop on and get the key started and then just push it in so it's flush with the prop with a needle nose pliers or something similar. Then you can put the prop nut on. NEVER, EVER use a hammer.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 2:30am
OK no hammer. I think I need a new key as this old one seems way too tight and it's ugly. I may try grinding it down but if they don't cost much then I'll order a new one. The weather here just got real cold -5 at night and 10F in the afternoon. Too cold to work on the boat so I have the time to wait for the part. I like the snow around in the winter but this sucks!

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 3:01am
Anyone know what size key goes with my 79 Ski Tique and a new Acme 542 prop?

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 3:46pm
I think I read where someone buys 1/4"x1/4" bra$$ bar stock and makes his keys from that.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 9:30pm
Thanks, I found a new key to fit from Acme for $6.50 and it's on it's way to me.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 2:02pm
The New 542 is on and seems to fit great. Pleanty of clearance, and went on easy following everyone's advice. I put a new castle nut from Acme on with the new key. Does any one have experience with the newer style nylock nut on the older CC boats that came with the castle nuts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic