NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintenance
    Posted: December-23-2006 at 4:27am
I recently bought a 1972 Correct Craft Mustang, it has either a 302 or a 351 ford engine in it but im not sure exactly, ? What are the best things that I can do to this boat and the engine that will make it last. Any tips will help. Thanks
The Guy.

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 11:30am
Thomas,
Welcome, and congratulations on your new boat. The smart guys here can give you the good advice, I just lurk around soaking in it. Some of the first things I did was change the oil in engine and tranny, repack the stuffing boxes on the rudder and drive shaft, put in an electronic conversion kit in place of points, waxed the boat, but mostly I just look at, ski behind it, pull my kids, and occa$$ionally sit in it in my garage with good friends. Once you start running around in it you'll know what comes next.

Chuck, oh yea, have you posted pictures yet?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 8:27pm
Hi Tjeff, you've found a great site here for information and maintenance tips on your new boat. A few things you will want to do as far as maintenance goes is: change your engine oil & filter seasonaly (no more than every 50 hours though and preferably at the end of the skiing season); replace the raw water pump impeller every year or two; make sure your drive belts are in good shape (and carry a spare); fog your engine at the end of each season or for long layup periods (6 weeks or more); drain your block, manifolds and tranny cooler of water prior to any hard freeze and keep some sort of fuel stabilizer (such as Sta-bil) in your tank to prevent fuel from gumming. These are some general practices that will help prevent problems. There are a few guys here that have Mustangs that can offer more specific tips on your particular boat. In addition to the electronic ignition mod offered above, I'd also update that old alternator and external voltage regulator setup on your boat with a newer type alternator with an integrated regulator (that is if someone hasn't already done so). Good luck and happy boating with your new toy. And stay tuned for more good advice from this site.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 11:18pm
Gee us guys here in Florida like to sit in our boats in the garage as well, hope this is not some nationwide problem. Think of what wives all over the country will be thinking.

Tjeff; Welcome, you will find some friends here and a wealth of info, altho not from me. I am limited to waxing, driving around and sitting in the boat when not in the water.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic