Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

floor repair advise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor repair advise
    Posted: December-07-2006 at 8:15am
I have my boat in the shop getting the floor replaced. They are telling me that it is not necessary to replace the foam. Is this correct. If so, why was the foam in the boat in the first place? Can anyone please give me advise since I am not an expert and have no idea if I am getting the right information? Thanks, Lisa Boat is 1974 Skier
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 8:43am
Lisa,
If the foam is not soaked there would be no need to replace it. However you could ask them to drill a couple of spots to see if they find any water.
Have you noticed any water seeping into the bilge after you have pulled the boat out of the water?
Or, have you noticed the boat porpoising?
Did the shop think the stringers were solid, not rotted?
OK, now someone who is smarter than myself can help out. BTW, what kind of boat do you have?

Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 8:46am
Lisa, this topic has been discussed at length here. Do a search and there is a ton of info. I a$$ume that the old foam has been removed, and the only question is whether to replace it or not? If it hasnt, I would recommend the old foam be taken out- even if it is still dry everywhere (unlikely if you had a rotten floor), the old foam isnt "closed cell" and is susceptible to absorbing water.

Many of the earlier Correct Crafts (mid 60's and prior) did not have foam installed in the floor and function just fine. I believe pretty much all boats from the late 60's onward had foam. It does provide some support between the hull and floor and would prevent the hull from "oil-canning" at speed. It should also keep the boat much quieter while at speed, crossing waves, etc. The foam also serves as flotation, should the boat become submerged. A boat with foam will most likely float at the top of the gunwale, while I suspect a boat without it would probably go to the bottom.

I wouldnt skip the foam- but thats my preferance. The cost to add it shouldnt be huge. The advantage to using new closed cell foam is that it wont absorb water the way the old stuff would.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 9:41am
If it were my boat, I would replace the foam. It would make me feel better knowing the foam was taken out, the stringers checked completely, everything was dry & the foam was replaced. If everything looks good, I can't believe it would cost that much more to do just the foam. If there are other problems, you can catch it now & not have to go thru this again later.

Hope you found someone around Atlanta you can trust to do the work. If it is on my side of town (Duluth area) I would be glad to offer another opinion if it would help.
Greg

86 BFN
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 12:49pm
My boat is a 1974 skier.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 5:35pm
If the foam has not been removed and it is *without question* dry, then you can save some cash by not having it removed and replaced. If it is already out I am on the *pro foam* side of life. I believe there are several advantages to having the foam in place: sound deadening, a generally "tighter" floor system, and floatation. There is a thread entitled "to foam or not to foam" (or something like that) where this is discussed in great detail.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:21pm
When I removed the floor on my 87 SN the observer side foam from the pylon back looked great. However, once I removed all of the foam in the boat, I found the bottom inch of that great looking foam was soaked. I say replace the foam.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic