Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Troubles
    Posted: November-18-2006 at 1:29pm
I have a 1998 Nautique with the GT-40. I have hesitation problems, they ar every irregular. They happen one day a few times and then not for a few days. I have cleaned all the screens on the fuel system. New fuel water seperator filter. Two new relays. Anything else I can try? Thank x
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 2:49pm
Its tough to nail down problems like this since they dont happen consistently. I a$$ume you mean you replaced both the ignition and fuel pump relays. The first thing you should do is clean up the contacts where the relays plug in.

The next time you experience problems, break out a voltmeter and verify that you have good voltage to both the relays and the fuel pumps. If you do, you could have a problem with one of the pumps themselves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 8:28pm
Do you suggest just change both the pumps? I put new relays on the ignition and fuel pump relay, I used diaelectric grease on them.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 12:53am
You have to figure out whether your problem is electrical or fuel related. Based on your description, it could be either. Any more details would be helpful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 10:55am
The hesitation occurs lots when i'm starting out or running 3/4 throttle? Seems like when the boat is under load it happens more often.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 8:40pm
The low pressure fuel pump is a weak point on this engine. It regularly fails to the point where it should be considered a regular maintenance item every 300 hours or so. If you want to try a "shotgun" approach to solving the problem, replace the LP fuel pump. It's about 100.00 from Skidim, and, worst case scenario, you will have a spare pump which might save a vacation or two. Perhaps the LP fuel pump is not refilling the FCC bowl to keep up with the HP fuel pump in the FCC in some cases.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2006 at 12:00pm
Same problem with my 95 gt-40......... happens once or twice a day. Let me know what you find out, I've done everything but replace the EFI. fuel pump idea may be next.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2006 at 1:03pm
todicus, your 95 GT40 is different. That year they did not have the FCC so your fuel pump setup is not the same as 98's. I've heard of the 95's having vapor lock issues, but those result in hard starting or dying at idle rather than hesitation.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2006 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That year they did not have the FCC so your fuel pump setup is not the same as 98's.

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is FCC ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2006 at 2:08pm
Fuel Control Cell. It is a combination high pressure fuel pump/water separator/fuel filter. It eliminates vapor lock, which is a common problem on EFI boats (you see it on carbies every once and a while, but it seems more rare) due to the higher temps in the enclosed engine compartment. This patented device really gives all PCM fuelies a huge advantage over their indmar counterparts. Nothing like trying to start your vapor locked brand-new 40k Malibu on a hot day...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2006 at 1:42pm
My boat has 1200 hours on it? Anything I shoudl change?
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2006 at 11:38pm
98, that's awesome you've used your boat that much. For sure basic maintenance...what have you done, not done? Plugs, filters, wires, impeller, some hoses, grease steering, check strut bushing, and some others...

Sorry about your problems. Wish I had more to offer you. Keep at it with these guys and they'll get it figured out.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 7:41pm
Where is the strut bushing?
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 10:09pm
it's the little bushing that is in the strut (underwater gear fore of the prop). The shaft runs through it and the bushing, which is rubber on the inside) holds it in place. If you've got no vibrations or anything, I wouldn't mess with it.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2006 at 10:30am
I don't know much about the efi on the fords but i know on the chevys (mercruiser) the fuel pump is surrounded by a heat exchanger (cooler) and the water goes to this cooler first to keep the fuel nice and cool, does pcm do this?? i would think this would take care of vapor lock issues, and there must be issues and they did this to cure the problem
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic