Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 crank pulley question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 crank pulley question
    Posted: March-07-2024 at 7:09pm
I need to run an accessory with 2 belts off the engine, is there a 4 groove pulley for our engines or a way to run it?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2024 at 7:53am
It's easy to find a 3 groove 3 bolt pulley with the same diameter as your original pulley (which should be  2 grooves and 3 mounting bolts) on an 81 PCM 351W

4 grooves 3 mounting bolts.............a little harder to find

That's just the kinder gentler way of saying that nobody makes one unless you're getting one custom built or doing some adapting Wink

Why does whatever it is that you're wanting to use need 2 drive belts?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2024 at 8:05am
I assume you are planning on running a mechanical wash down or hyd hauler pump?
Summit or jegs or any of those online resources should have an options for a 3v groove pulley for SBF applications. 4v exists but is harder to source. but they are out there.

Can also drive a crank pulley mounted hub to a jackshaft or direct mount a pulley driven pump with a lovejoy or similar connection. this is pretty common in the diesel inboard but i knew of someone running this setup on a ford 300 gasser. 
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2024 at 8:13am
One could free up a groove with a johnson crank mounted pump and ditch the Sherwood
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2024 at 8:13pm
Correct to drive a hydro pump.

Inside the cabin it’s a tight squeeze for room I’m looking for see how I can make this work… I’ve located a 4 groove 3 bolt pulley (actually a few, they were factory on some ford trucks) I just will have to figure out belt alignment for existing equipment if I switch then fab up a mount for the hydro
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2024 at 5:24am
I guess this pulley must have a part number and application that you forgot to mention. Wink

I'd also guess, like you mentioned, that you'll have alignment issues with the circ water pump pulley, the alternator pump pulley and the raw water pump pulley and hopefully it's a smaller diameter than the original, since there's only 1/16 inch clearance between the crank pulley and the circ water pump pulley, otherwise you'll need a different pulley up there too.

Good luck, it probably won't be easy at all.

I guess you can't drive this hydro pump with one belt using a 3 groove pulley that's the same diameter and offset as your original pulley?

That 3 groove pulley would be the one in the link below from CJ Pony Parts

link to 3 groove   6 1/8 diameter like original

You should verify with them that it's the same as the 2 groove pulley in the link below with one more groove added on the front

link to 2 groove
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2024 at 11:15am
Live2fish...
Pretty sure I have a few Ford 3-groove pulleys that fit. OEM Ford 3-bolt. You can have one. Free.
Send address to me at bcferrin15@gmail.com.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic