Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting boat off trailer.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting boat off trailer.
    Posted: January-02-2024 at 3:41pm
An extension of my 75 south wind restoration.
I have all the construction done on the inside, and I’m ready to start some cosmetic work. Both on the boat and the trailer. (i’ll post some pictures soon.)
Anyway, I had a 77 Southwind 20 for about 25 years or so and I only lifted it off the trailer once using the hook on the front and one on the back that are made for that purpose. There was really no problem with it. Now I guess I’m a little bit older and wiser???
That’s debatable. I looked on the Internet and of course it refers me back to this forum. Quite a few people suggest different ways to lift the boat off the trailer but no one said use the lifting hooks. So I’m guessing maybe only Southwinds have lifting hooks. If that is true, I guess I will just use the hooks and lift it up.
However, I don’t think that’s the case and there must be a reason nobody is using those to lift the boat up. It would be a great time as the boat is very light right now with no motor or interior.
So my question is, how do I lift this boat?
And let it hang for an extended period of time while I work on it.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 5:02pm
Use the hooks.  That's what they are there for.  No engine is a plus.  If you are worried about it, block it up after the trailer is removed.  Last winter I did this with my Marauder.  I actually dropped the front of the trailer to the floor then built stands for the rear of the boat then jacked the front up to max.  Built a sturdy gantry and used a come along to lift the front by the hook.  Pulled out the trailer by hand.  I also took off the load guides for more wiggle room.  I think i have pictures somewhere  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 5:20pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 5:59pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 6:00pm
someone with more picture expertise please rotate these for me!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 6:06pm

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 6:18pm
Thanks to all
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

someone with more picture expertise please rotate these for me!

OK...............Here you go Wink

And here's a little more rotation  Wink

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 8:06pm
Thanks Keno. What do I need to learn to make them “rotationaly correct”! 😉
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2024 at 2:33am
I have lifted my ski boats several times over the years.  Used a tow truck once only because a friend owned it and it was handy.  The lifting rings are perfect even for a fully loaded boat.   Most recently I used the ceiling joists above my garage area.  They are sturdy 2 x 10's, I drilled and installed an eye ring into the top of the joists, I used the top of the joist so there was several inches of wood (6 or 7") under my bolted in Eye rings.  
Above the joists the tonge and groove floor boards are nailed in tight which help distribute the weight so I was not worried.   Used my come along to lift it at each end.  Secured it with a chain while I rolled out the trailer to be painted.   Worked well, we did my brothers boat the same way in my garage when he restored his trailer.   We had to leave it for a couple weeks so I lowered it down onto some spare tires and left it on those till it was time to put it back on the trailer.  Just be smart and careful.   It is not that hard.   The eye rings worried me as possibly the weak point but I used 3/8 and welded the split plus used multiple washers to spread the load where I bolted them to the wood..  They worked fine.  No distortion after the lifts.  Unfortunately I sheet rocked the garage after that and my lifting rings are now enclosed with no access.
One of our forum members posted pictures of hanging his boat under tree branches.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2024 at 10:10am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

This is cheating, even though I and everyone else would love to have a set up like this.

Bill, nice job, you know how to put wood together.

We spent way too much time getting this boat off the trailer and onto a cradle a few weeks ago. But, it was so much fun...

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2024 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Thanks Keno. What do I need to learn to make them “rotationaly correct”! 😉

There's probably an easier way, but I saved your picture to my pictures file on a laptop, then used the rotate feature to get it oriented right, saved it with a new name and crossed my fingers and used IMGBB to post it here on CCF  Wink
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2024 at 9:32pm
Great minds must think alike. I have an older garage that has heat in it because we have free gas on the farm so I was gonna hang the boat in there.
The backend I was going to hang very similar to the way you said close to the wall and it would be easy for the building to support it. The front I can’t do that because the garage door has to open so I will have to build something to hold it.
That’s my plan for now. I don’t know how soon I get around to it but we’ll post pictures when I do.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2024 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We spent way too much time getting this boat off the trailer and onto a cradle a few weeks ago. But, it was so much fun...

There must be some kind of plan for the Barefoot Warrior that looks like it'll spend some time on the cradle? Wink
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2024 at 3:57pm
The BFW needs stringers and a floor.  Gel is very nice.  It is Dave and Tom's project.  They want a barefoot boat that they don't have to winterize each time they use it early spring and late fall or worry about the prop when water is low.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2024 at 12:11pm
Then there is the fully manual method.

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2024 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Then there is the fully manual method.

.....and those fellas work CHEAP! LOL
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 5:15pm

The BFW needs stringers and a floor.  Gel is very nice.  It is Dave and Tom's project.  They want a barefoot boat that they don't have to winterize each time they use it early spring and late fall or worry about the prop when water is low.

A 600 Verado should bring it up to barefoot speeds ok ....
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 5:18pm

[We spent way too much time getting this boat off the trailer and onto a cradle a few weeks ago. But, it was so much fun...

Bruce, can you post a couple more pics of that cradle?  Did you simply match a typical trailer bunk dimension for the carrying bunks?  Would that same cradle clear a shaft and strut?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2024 at 5:24pm

We used the bunks on the trailer as a guide for length and placement. We are not carpenters or framers, so someone with some skill in that area would come up with a better design, but this was built to just get the boat in the garage and then the hull was well supported with stands in preparation for the guts being torn out. In hindsight, I would put triangular pieces on each of the cross sections to help keep the sides from pushing out. We used 2x8s which I thought were more than tall enough based on measuring the V in the hull.  Turns out the keel rests front and rear cross members as well as the sides.  It worked out perfectly.  That was not intended.  It's nice to be lucky.  

If you're building one for an inboard, it can be shorter.  Measure the depth, you probably want to use 2x10s or 2x12s.  If you're looking for casters, I found a great online supply.  I've built enough engine stands where I've learned to not cheap out on casters.  The ones on this cradle are good for 900# each, have swivels and brakes and were only about $28/each.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2024 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.  At one point I drew up a quick design, was going to leave fork pockets so it could be picked up from the side (have forktrucks at work) but the casters make so much more sense.  That is inexpensive for casters like those!  Looking at your design I was over-thinking the structure, am going to simplify it quite a bit.  Has to hold a 2,800 lb. boat, not the titanic.
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2024 at 11:36pm
Here is how I finally lifted the boat. The backend I put a piece of 3 inch channel across the rafters above the ceiling and wrap the chain around that down through the ceiling in the front. I built a structure to lift it with so the garage door can open. Been hanging there for a couple weeks now, so I think it’s good, but when I crawl underneath to finish the bottom, I will use some tires just for safety sake.

DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2024 at 11:39pm
I forgot to mention, I simply lowered the front of the trailer and hooked the back of the boat up, raise the front of the trailer and hooked the front up.
I did have to put about 4 inches of wood underneath the trailer tires to get enough clearance. I just jacked the trailer up with the boat on it and put the wood under.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2024 at 12:59pm
That is a creative way to load and unload the trailer.   Looks like you are good to get your work done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic