Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique OUTBOARD!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bilal308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilal308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique OUTBOARD!!!
    Posted: December-11-2023 at 10:55am
Guys!!!

ONLY IN NIGERIA!!! TongueStern SmileErmm

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 9:02am
Wait, is that for real?  Can't tell what that white motor mount actuall is attached to.  And if real what is in the engine box?

Or maybe I'm just gullible and this is photoshop at it's finest hour.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
bilal308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilal308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 9:13am
Bro, it is as real as it can get! Promise you, no Photoshop!  Big smile LOL

Check it out... 

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 10:13am
So many questions ...

1st, no way the swim platform is holding a 175 outboard.  But I can't picture how that extended motor mount could be integrated into the hull.

2nd, why?

3rd, why, why, why, why?
bilal308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilal308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 10:26am
Hahahaha...

He actually cut through the transom and welded it to the existing fiberglass, very ingenious indeed.

Why? Cause in Nigeria you cannot easily replace the engine, got the Nautique for a steal, and he had a 175 HP laying in his garage!

For us skiers and Nautique fans, it is an outrage. For the owner, it looks damn good!  LOLLOLLOL
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 10:38am
Well I don't see it as an outrage now that you explain it, I see it as ingenuity.  What model boat is it?  Have you seen it run and ski or board?  I'd guess it is enough power to ski behind but bigger people would have trouble getting up on 1 ski.  Wakes are probably no good for boarding but maybe ok for skiing.

Now that you've shown us that boat, someone from this site will be trying to mount a Verado 400 on a Ski Nautique.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 12:37pm
A 400?? Go big or go home find a Seven Marine 627 LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 8:06pm
Wow. What a great idea.
I mean, there is a Suzuki Marine distributor in Nigeria. 
Not sure if the same could be said for marinised American automotive engines..
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2023 at 8:09pm
Makes sense!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 12:52am
He he has a running boat and a really large trunk to haul contraband in?   Unique for sure.
bilal308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilal308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 5:53am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Well I don't see it as an outrage now that you explain it, I see it as ingenuity.  What model boat is it?  Have you seen it run and ski or board?  I'd guess it is enough power to ski behind but bigger people would have trouble getting up on 1 ski.  Wakes are probably no good for boarding but maybe ok for skiing.

Now that you've shown us that boat, someone from this site will be trying to mount a Verado 400 on a Ski Nautique.

It is a 2014 AIR NAUTIQUE. Yes, I saw it leave the Boat Club, the boat takes off quite well but the cruising stance is a bit poised at the front since there it is quite heavy at the back and the outboard creates a big torque lever. It does not level well at cruising speed so the wake at the back is big with a tall rooster tail. 

That said, it is definitely not suitable for wake surfing if you want to keep your limbs in one piece!! LOLLOLLOL 
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 8:59am
Mother of pearl
He should’ve put it under the dog house
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 10:22am
Boat will need cavitation plates to make it run flatter. Getting it up over the reverse chines might be interesting. wonder if they left the fins on? probably better off leaving it with a high ride attitude..??

We took a late 90's super sport and installed a Mercruiser stern drive set up in it. I think we got about 3 weeks into the testing program when the decision from management stopped the program. boat was promptly dismantled, dissembled wadded up and crushed at the landfill.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 10:29am
I get it that the heavy engine is way back there, but also gives it a ton of trim leverage, I would have thought down trim could force the stern up, bow down a bit.  Probably need 400 lbs in the bow to help drive it down.

Of course no thoughts of surfing!!!  But wondered if wakeboarding would be acceptable.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2023 at 11:51pm
A 175? I'd imagine just fine for motoring along. Did they yank the real motor?
bilal308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilal308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2023 at 5:22am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

A 175? I'd imagine just fine for motoring along. Did they yank the real motor?

Yes of course, they removed the inboard. The boat moves well on a 175Hp. No issues.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2023 at 10:15am
Oh no, there are issues!!
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2023 at 6:35pm
With engines being scarce , I'll give them an atta boy for ingenuity. 
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 8:55am
Consider me impressed with the engineering and workmanship.  Would like to see the finer details of the mount and how it is all attached.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 9:26am
Doubt seriously if any actual engineering (calculations) done here
Just red neck fabrication
Perhaps start a ‘sticky page’ so others can learn conversion
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 9:36am
Maybe not engineering calculations, but nothing about that bracket looks "redneck fabrication" to me.  I'd definitely be curious to learn more about it, would be great if the boat owner could post some info about the work done.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 11:09am
I'm with ya Dave, it does look like a nice job. I'm thinking they didn't put an outboard on just to say they did it, there must have been some sort of failure. Being where they are maybe it was impossible to get what they needed, things we take for granted here.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 11:20am
Being a fairly late-model boat, it would be interesting to know the point of failure that led to all that work. However, it could have been as simple as a starter/alt/fuel pump, and the inability to source them down there at any cost. Corruption at every level in that country makes things a bit pricey ;-) 

Years ago, I flew into Jamaica quite a bit, and was always taking "gifts" to a buddy of mine at the airport, as the import duty on those "gifts" were easily 5 times their value.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 11:28am
And yes, dropping 500 lbs of lead up front would do wonders. That engine weights about 500 lbs and it's way back there. You're  sure not limited by weight with the original motor and all its gear having been removed.
bilal308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilal308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Maybe not engineering calculations, but nothing about that bracket looks "redneck fabrication" to me.  I'd definitely be curious to learn more about it, would be great if the boat owner could post some info about the work done.

OK making this a sticky thread makes a lot of sense. I know where the boat is parked and I will make it a duty to all you fans to get you detailed pics of this setup. It actually makes sense to me, I also own a 1994 Ski Nautique with a bad engine. I am seriously thinking of transforming it into a Barefoot boat with a 200HP outboard!!!

Stay tuned for more...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by bilal308 bilal308 wrote:

OK making this a sticky thread makes a lot of sense.

it's just a thread about a boat, what makes it worthy of being a "sticky" thread.? 

If somebody wants to find it, they can do a search for it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 5:00pm
Maybe the "unique-ness" of a modern era V-drive being converted to an OB. Although, in all fairness, that configuration wouldn't necessarily be unique in the realm of "competition" ski boats. Hydrodyne and MC did it years ago, from the factory.

And, absent a step-by-step process from engineering, pictures, documentation, etc...I'd have to agree....just a pic of a boat with a unique mod.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by bilal308 bilal308 wrote:

I also own a 1994 Ski Nautique with a bad engine. I am seriously thinking of transforming it into a Barefoot boat with a 200HP outboard!!!

Stay tuned for more...

The 2014 Air is quite a bit heavier than a 1994 Ski, I think your ski weighs around 2,200 lbs., remove the engine/transmission and more like 1,600 lbs.  No idea what the ride characteristics will be, but a 200 outboard should really move that hull!
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2023 at 8:16pm
I thought it looked under-powered, but if it gets you on the water skiing then all good!
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2023 at 9:25am
Please no sticky on this
I was totally joking
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic