NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's Fall

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Fall
    Posted: November-01-2023 at 9:38am
Last Saturday it hit the high 70's, gorgeous day.  I wasn't able to get on the water but a few friends did so, I did get outside and enjoyed the day.  Sunday and Monday rained, last night it dropped below freezing and so far this morning it's still 37 degrees though brilliant sunshine.

Don't get me wrong, I love fall, but the temp swing is pretty startling at times.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2023 at 10:25am
Dropped to 48 with a 15 mph north wind here in north Florida.. skied Fri Sat and Sun highs were in the mid 80's
Wait! this weekend highs in the hi 70's.... Back to rippin and grippin!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2023 at 5:53pm
For me, fall starts November 1 -- so today was winterize the Ski Nautique day.  Cry

With my luck, We'll get a stretch of super nice weather that will tempt me to pull the SN out of lay-up for "just one more..."

I like to change the fluids in the fall, so that the machinery has fresh oil during lay-up.  Every other year, I change tranny fluid and impeller, so the 2-year old red stuff got sucked out and new ATF went in.  The raw water pump was removed and will get a new impeller in the spring.  As the SN sits inside an insulated garage (with heat if needed) I only drain the block, exhaust manifolds and shower.  Fuel stabilizer is always used, so no worries there.  Topped off the charge on the AGM battery and disconnected both leads.  Cover on.  Good to go.

Another summer gone...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2023 at 10:38pm
Nice work JQ!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Dropped to 48 with a 15 mph north wind here in north Florida.. skied Fri Sat and Sun highs were in the mid 80's
Wait! this weekend highs in the hi 70's.... Back to rippin and grippin!

Jody showing us how the bottom part of the country lives!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I like to change the fluids in the fall, so that the machinery has fresh oil during lay-up.  Every other year, I change tranny fluid and impeller, so the 2-year old red stuff got sucked out and new ATF went in.  

JQ

Jonny

I'm a little slower than usual this morning, but if you like to have fresh fluid/oil during layup, why do you leave some "non fresh " stuff  in the transmission every other year?  Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 8:43am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I like to change the fluids in the fall, so that the machinery has fresh oil during lay-up.  Every other year, I change tranny fluid and impeller, so the 2-year old red stuff got sucked out and new ATF went in.  

JQ

Jonny

I'm a little slower than usual this morning, but if you like to have fresh fluid/oil during layup, why do you leave some "non fresh " stuff  in the transmission every other year?  Wink

C'mon Ken, who among us changes tranny fluid yearly, particularly those of us that put 50 hours on a boat in a season?  Not that I think engine oil with that same 50 hours isn't still fresh, but sometimes we do what we do because it gives us that satisfied feeling.

And JQ, I like leaving the impeller for spring, I do the same, hate the idea of putting a brand new impeller in just to have it sit for the winter.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 9:19am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

JQ

Jonny

C'mon Ken, who among us changes tranny fluid yearly, particularly those of us that put 50 hours on a boat in a season?  Not that I think engine oil with that same 50 hours isn't still fresh, but sometimes we do what we do because it gives us that satisfied feeling.

And JQ, I like leaving the impeller for spring, I do the same, hate the idea of putting a brand new impeller in just to have it sit for the winter.

Now did I say or even hint at how often I change it, just trying to figure out some "Jonny logic"  Wink

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 9:29am
only 50 hours? trailer queen!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

only 50 hours? trailer queen!

No *************** Jody.  Kind of makes me wonder what I did all summer.  This year the boat pretty much got trailered to a few places, was used to ski for a few hours, done.  Out of a ski session of a few hours how much is the boat actually running, maybe 30 minutes?  In other years we've spent more time in it cruising/swimming as well, this year not much of that or we were out in the I/O instead.

Early New Year's resolution to do better next year, get out in the boat more!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 11:19am

Saturday - 80*

Tuesday - Outlook not good, so...

Wednesday - 55*

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 12:39pm

JQ

Jonny

As the engine oil is subjected to the combustion process, the engine oil gathers much more contaminants and nasty stuff than the transmission fluid.  I don't consider 1 year old ATF to be too nasty, so I let the transmission marinate another season.  That's the "Johnny logic" I use.  Perhaps I should edit my statement to engine oil and not fluids.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 5:56pm
Call me a bad owner JQ, my tranny fluid now has 125 hours on it and is still in there.  I think it is just fine.  Still clean and red.   Maybe I will change it before next year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 11:41pm
McD:

I realize that every 2 years on ATF is likely overkill, and that many would argue that a new impeller every 2 years is also overkill.  I look at it as cheap insurance.$10 in ATF and $25 for an impeller makes for good peace of mind.  With most things mechanical, I'm NOT a run-to-failure guy.  I enjoy doing minor and major maintenance, so it's a labor of love.  My wife refers to the Ski Nautique as my mistress.  Gota go..."she" is calling.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2023 at 3:26am
I agree on the Impeller every two years since in my group we have seen several 3rd year impellers fail.   I may need to step up my tranny service.   I do not consider it overkill especially since these trannys seem to have a shorter shelf life than other models.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic