NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Everything good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everything good?
    Posted: October-27-2023 at 7:25am
It’s so quiet here. I’m assuming that everyone is properly winterized and stored. Fresh oil, properly adjusted timing, etc… Maybe everyone is in a wet sanding and buffing to get the perfect shine for spring. I’m blaming the Grand Poobah’s for answering all of the questions and having all Correct Crafts running perfectly. Everything is good for me. Garage stored with a red oil filter to match valve covers. Can’twait for spring or at least another post here….
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 8:56am
Not here -- still waiting for my custom new axle from Indiana so I can run the boat a few more times.  Boat is laid up at a trailer shop.  I have drained all the water from it though.  It's ready for the first freeze.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 9:10am
Two of three winterized.  Other is in heated garage just in case!  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 9:28am
Mine girl has been put up for the season since the week before surgery. Wanted to get her out a few weeks ago but my wife talk me out of it. Was ask to go to the lake with a close friend for a few days, again she talked me out of it. I'm  either getting soft or just protecting my knee.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 10:38am
Hope you’re all well
Last run of year at Sonoma heard a load noise, bent pushrod, blown head gasket
Heads off, really bad cam wear , rust on walls
So apparently original 50 year old engine never rebuilt
I’m excited about new motor or rebuild. Should run much better cooler
All good. Have good fall

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 1:16pm
We had 93* last Thursday so we got the boat out for one more ski trip.  Taught an old friend to ski, he tried about 10 times and got up on doubles.  The smile on his face was priceless.   Still had the boat on the drive on Saturday, we were hit with a very unexpected rain storm.  I drained almost 40 gallons of rain water out of the boat.  Put it in the garage and ran fans for 3 days to dry it out again.   Got it cleaned, waxed, winterized and all covered up for winter.   I hate doing this job, it signals our Summer is OVER.    We found some good water last week and it was fun.   Got to make my first cuts as a 66 year old!   They were not that impressive but it was great to still do it.  We cut it close on the last trip, it is 46* this morning one week later.
Mark
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Hope you’re all well
Last run of year at Sonoma heard a load noise, bent pushrod, blown head gasket
Heads off, really bad cam wear , rust on walls
So apparently original 50 year old engine never rebuilt
I’m excited about new motor or rebuild. Should run much better cooler
All good. Have good fall

you may have a PM,,,
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2023 at 7:41pm
Last ski was a week ago. Boat is in pole barn. Last Superjet ride was probably today. Still on hoist so we will see.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2023 at 4:42am
OK, I will bite, what is a superjet?
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2023 at 12:14pm
MrMcD, since you are in close proximtiy to me do you winterize your boat every year? If so do you use anitfreeze? I keep mine in my garage but its not heated and I am wondering if I need to winterize using antifreeze. This will be the first year I've had this boat completely together so I am interested to know what others are doing in the Northern California Sacramento Valley area.
1980 SN Project
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2023 at 5:32pm
Years ago we had a freeze that broke the block in my neighbors boat.   I always drain the block prior to winter and I had no damage from the exact same freeze.   Low temps are rare for us but it can happen.   I have never added antifreeze, just drained the block.   Right or wrong, don’t know for sure but in 40 years owning boats I have yet to freeze one in our climate.   If you pull the drain plugs have a 16 penny nail or something similar with you.  Many times you pull the plug and no water comes out due to rust build up.  Poke out the rust with the nail and out comes your water.   If doing this you will need a back splash of some type, I have a 2’ x 2’ piece of thin plastic that I use to divert the water down into the bilge because it can splash out onto the carpet.   The rust in the water can stain the carpet so be prepared to channel the water to the bilge and keep your carpet clean.  You will get a lot of water draining.   Seems like well more than a gallon at least.   Good Luck.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2023 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

OK, I will bite, what is a superjet?

It's Yamaha's version of a stand up jet ski or PWC or whatever good or bad names people have for them Wink

I can't decide from MrMcD's post if the only thing he drained was the block or also the exhaust manifolds and the transmission cooler, but if you drain everything as your first step, it's pretty hard to screw up in your climate.

A little RV antifreeze to mix with any residual water is a little extra protection.

The right hand side of the block has the drain under the #1 spark plug area and with your engine at a 15 degree or so angle, there's gonna be some trapped water back by the #4 cylinder that has popped more than one person's freeze/core/casting plug over the years (or broken the block)

Here's a thread in the link below with words and pictures courtesy of TRB, showing the drain points for a 351 PCM engine

PS.............Most everybody has their own  "best way to winterize" that's better than anybody else's, but like mentioned draining as the first step makes it a lot harder to screw up your engine
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2023 at 6:23pm
Everything must be good, it's fall and there's a winterizing discussion and the thread has gotten off track like most CCF threads do Wink
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2023 at 10:23pm
I just did the same but I used the flattened carton from the Coors Light 30 pack we just drank.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2023 at 10:06am
^^^Now we’re talkin’
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2023 at 11:03am
Excellent suggestion
I like the 18 pack, sturdier and longer for painting
Recommend Walmart isle before the Rotella.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2023 at 11:55am
After drinking all 18 beers would this job be easier or harder?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2023 at 6:25pm
Um. You and mourning wood helped me….remember??
I had to redo everything over in mourning

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2023 at 11:04pm
Good One, With less beer I might have remembered.  As I think back, It could have been the Whiskey, could have been the Gin, could have been the three or four six packs I don’t know but look at the mess we are in!

From an old song we used to sing and laugh about on camping trips while drinking around the camp fire, Great old song though,.
Copy for you to enjoy.  The words still crack me up but I am easily entertained.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 6:00am
Water temp is still in the 70's here on Lanier.  Got Day #97 for 2023 in on Friday before we dropped the course possibly for the year. Supposed to be in the 70's today so the course may be brought back up or we'll decide to bring it up or just free ski for the next month. Temps dropping to 31'F on Tuesday so its gonna chill the water off for sure put that's what wet suits are made for. Hate it for you northerners.... Just another reason why I love livin' in the south.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 8:58am

Knee is coming along really well in the last week. Probably due to going back to work. Still dealing with soreness and tightness around the knee area from the muscles and tendons. Little progress each week.

Here in the Midwest and being laid up from surgery, I've been building fires in our fire pit in our backyard. My ski buddies have been coming over and making fun of me for what I've been missing on the water. I just tell them to wait till I get back to cutting it up next summer. Now that the weather has changed drastically in the last 10 days or so, the fires are in the fireplace inside our home.  It’s family time now. 

Last winter season I redid the boat hull by removing the UV damage by wet sanding and replacing all the decals. That project took longer than I expected due to all the unexpected “other” projects that came up, it was well worth the time.  Glad it’s behind me though.

But that pushed my normal winter hobby’s back a year. One of them is usually wood working. Have a couple of projects I do need to wrap up. One I have been sitting on for almost 3 years due to a major screw up on the shaper table. I actually walked away from wood working since that has happened but now after I had plenty of time to think it through on how to adjust the project to repair the problem, I’m ready to get back into it.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 11:03am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I just did the same but I used the flattened carton from the Coors Light 30 pack we just drank.

Just so you're aware the Coors Light will keep the block from freezing down to about 22 degrees F but below that you need to mix in a few fifths of 5 O'clock vodka.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 3:24pm
Thank you MrMcD and KENO for the info!
1980 SN Project
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 3:59pm
@1980SN2001

Pardon my ignorance, but could you decipher for me your "handle"?
( didn't the 2001 model first appear in 1982? )
Is there a good story here?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 5:35pm
From an earlier thread of his

Originally posted by 1980SN2001 1980SN2001 wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

1980 SN 2001… reminds me of a 75 Tique

Great thread btw, thanks for sharing.

Hmmm,  reminds me of a useful Hollywood comment.

But James, great work, great project, nice documentation.  Dont see as much of that here as we used to, so its nice to see.  Well done.

Also, his remark about a 75 Tique was not a commentary on the size of your boat.  He was just poking at me since I also have a user name of a non existent boat.  When I bought mine in 2004, I did not know that Ski Tiques were not a thing until 1976, but it was titled as a 75 and since I was a noob, I didnt know any better.  Oh well.

Ahah, I understand! We do have that in common then lol. LOL

...and thank you 75tique, I appreciate the kind words.

And in case you missed the earlier thread it's in the link below  Wink

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 10:15am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

@1980SN2001

Pardon my ignorance, but could you decipher for me your "handle"?
( didn't the 2001 model first appear in 1982? )
Is there a good story here?

KENO is spot on and so quick! I wish there was a cool story but it was just that I was unfamiliar with the model of my Ski Nautique when I bought it. I joined this site shortly after I purchased the boat and just came up with the first username that came to mind. After reading a lot on this site I realized my mistake and I felt a little foolish about it and still do. Unhappy
1980 SN Project
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 10:53am
Nothing to feel foolish about, the various models and years offered and hull types/styles are pretty hard to keep straight.  I think there's about 5 people on this site that really have it all nailed down. Smile

Years for the 2001 and Tique are joined by which years for which Sport Nautique hulls, which hulls are TSC 1 or 2 or non-TSC, was a Mustang the same as an American Skier, when did a BFN turn into a v-drive, on and on.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 11:45am
Thanks all for the explanation. Amusing, actually.
I made the mistake of choosing what I thought was a 'play-on-words' forum name in Mourning Wood, intended to reference the 'loss' of wooden boatbuilding via the Dunphy. Mourning, not morning. Oh well.....

Sorry to help hold the rudder in an off-course vector...

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 5:05pm
With the aging process, there are other types of wood to be mourned...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 9:29pm
I want to winterize but I am not sure which oil to use and which Fram oil filter to use. Also, do I pour in the antifreeze into the engine, or do I let the engine suck it in? 

Confused. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic