Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 PCM GT-40 High Idle after start up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MonsterSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 PCM GT-40 High Idle after start up
    Posted: September-06-2023 at 5:28am
Hey everyone,

I have recently bought a 1998 Ski Nautique TSC1 with a PCM GT-40 engine.

Unfortunately the engine is giving me a little bit of trouble. After start up the engine surges for 2-3 seconds at around 600-800 rpm and then immediately goes up to 1800 rpm, it will stay there for 5-8 minutes and then slowly settle down to 800 rpm. After those 5-8 minutes of higher rpm it will settle and then sometimes go back up to 1800 rpm for a few seconds but eventually after that stay at 800 rpm.
Other than that the boat runs great and has good power. When you are docking and putting it in and out of gear you can notice that when taking it out of gear the rpms will raise shortly to about 1200 and then fall back down to about 800 rpm.

It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm, it will always go up with the rpm for a few minutes after start up which is quite annoying.
The previous owner has already renewed the injectors, the ignition distributor, the spark plug cables, fuel control cell (used one though), and the IAC Throttle Air Bypass.

I will clean the mesh filter behind the IAC next time I am at the boat and check if it does change something if I unplug the IAC.

Any other ideas what to look out for or what could cause the problem? Maybe a bad ECM?
Thanks!
98 Ski Nautique 196 (current)
08 Mastercraft ProStar 197 (current)
88 Ski Nautique 2001 (sold)
92 Barefoot Nautique (sold)
01 Ski Nautique 196 (sold)
93 Ski Centurion Tru Trac III (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic